Re: [axialflux] Gluing the Magnets onto the Rotor

  • Steve Spence
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
      It's my experience that most of the heat is developed in the stator, not
      the rotor. I have not thrown a superglued magnet, as they are encased in
      resin after gluing.

      That said, we use screws now, not glue.

      Steve Spence
      http://www.green-trust.org

      Walt Patrick wrote:

      > As to what to glue the magnets to the steel plate with, I'm hearing
      > superglue suggested, I can appreciate how quick it is, but my years
      > as a jeweler make me suspicious of whether that's actually the right
      > glue for the job. Superglue is quick, alright, but it tends to become
      > brittle in about a month's time. Epoxy, while slower to set, remains
      > tenacious indefinitely so long as it doesn't get overheated. Are the
      > magnet plates subjected to enough heat to soften the epoxy?
      >
      > Is there a consensus on which glue is the right glue for this application?
      >
      > ~~ Walt

    • Mike Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
        --- In axialflux@yahoogroups.com, Walt Patrick <windward@...> wrote:

        > As to what to glue the magnets to the steel plate with, I'm hearing
        > superglue suggested, I can appreciate how quick it is, but my years
        > as a jeweler make me suspicious of whether that's actually the right
        > glue for the job. Superglue is quick, alright, but it tends to become
        > brittle in about a month's time. Epoxy, while slower to set, remains
        > tenacious indefinitely so long as it doesn't get overheated. Are the
        > magnet plates subjected to enough heat to soften the epoxy?
        >
        > Is there a consensus on which glue is the right glue for this
        application?

        > ~~ Walt

        These are likely both pricey, but what's that compared to having to
        rebuild ??

        Masterbond EP17 is good to 600F.
        http://www.masterbond.com/mbnr/ep17_nr.html
        Drawback - cure is at 350F, 90 min, can the magnets take that ?

        If the plate is "scuffed" just a bit, and has a lip machined to hold
        the magnets, epoxy ought to grab it pretty well.

        Also discovered - a Thermally Conductive, Electrically Isolating
        400F rated epoxy, maybe good for winding coils, and getting the heat
        out. Has to be better than hot soft resin !
        http://www.masterbond.com/mbnr/su11aoht_nr.html
        May be too thick to get between wires though.

        EP30AO may be thin enough
        http://www.masterbond.com/tds/ep30ao.html
      • Dan Fink
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2008
          We use thin viscosity superglue to tack the magnets down, then cast
          vinyl ester resin around them. The superglue justs holds them in place
          for casting. We usually band the outside of the rotors with stainless
          steel, then cast only half way up the magnets. If you don't band them,
          you should put fiberglass tape around the rim, and cast that in resin
          (and cover the magnets).

          Epoxy works fine for magnet rotors, but it's quite expensive.

          There's no heat problems in the magnet rotors unless they are rubbing
          on the stator -- bad news! They can get hot enough from friction that
          the magnets lose their magnetism permanently.

          DAN F
          http://www.otherpower.com