Re: a marine version

  • Tim Greiner
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2008
      Bill-

      I would add that the backplates for the magnets need to still be a
      magnetic material for the flux path to stay efficient. When replacing
      the mild steel with stainless, mention this to the steel supplier and
      he can get you the proper stuff. I think it is 400 series but I'm no
      expert.

      Tim Greiner

      --- Steve Spence wrote:

      > Make sure all iron parts are replaced with stainless, and keep it
      > painted. Plan on shorter lifespan of bearings. they are cheap and
      easy
      > to replace.
      >
      > jumpnkd wrote:
      > >

      > > what do you think it would take to make a marine version? I have
      solar
      > > running a adlor barbor cold plate on my boat and it draws about 5
      amps
      > > and runs 50% of the time I plan on moving aboard and going south I
      > > know that my 65watts of solar is inadequate but it helps to keep
      > > things running when i don't run motor. thinking wind power on a
      sail
      > > boat is just free energy and with a 10 mph for 3 hrs a day i know
      it
      > > will not be much but will help but when i go south the wind will
      pick up.
      > > dont see much about boat use, but when you are in your boat off
      shore
      > > there is no grid and you only use what you make.
      > > Bill White in VA now

    • Dan Bartmann
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
        There really is not stainless that will work well for the magnet rotors
        - they should be of steel. I generally have them powder coated before I
        install magnets on them. I should think themost important issue for a
        marine environment and this type of machine is: use all stainless steel
        hardware. Otherwise, it should be fine ~ lots of thick steel, itll take
        a long time for rust to do much harm.
      • jerry freedomev
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Dan and All,

          On a boat lightweight is good for taking it down and using marine grade alum for all but the magnet rings which can be painted as the magnets might need to be. Other parts in composites like blades is good as wooden blades will erode from the water spray.
          At least use clear vinyl car seat repair tape on the leading edge really helps.
          I built boat wind, tidal gens, boatbuilding, electrical to support my cruising around the caribbean, for 20 yrs in the 70's-90's.

          Jerry Dycus
          > There really is not stainless that will work well for the
          > magnet rotors
          > - they should be of steel. I generally have them powder
          > coated before I
          > install magnets on them. I should think themost important
          > issue for a
          > marine environment and this type of machine is: use all
          > stainless steel
          > hardware. Otherwise, it should be fine ~ lots of thick
          > steel, itll take
          > a long time for rust to do much harm.

          > Links

        • Bill Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2008
            Hey Dan
             Do U coat your rotors after the mag's are in place ? Or cut out the powder coat so the Mags have primary surface  and then reseal ??

            BTY: finally got my 12' up  @ 45' and when the mother nature doe's her stuff my test bank & load looks promising.
            Thanks for all the help
            Bill

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2008
              I sprayed my setup with paint. Each subassembly was painted before final
              assembly. In a corrosive environment, do it more often.