Re: [axialflux] Data logger for batteries.

  • David G. LeVine
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
      Mart Hale wrote:

      > It is very important to keep track of the voltage on batteries… I was
      > wondering can anyone recommend a data logger ?
      >
      > I found this one..
      >
      > http://www.reuk.co.uk/Renewable-Energy-System-Data-Logger.htm
      >
      > But wondered if someone had one better?

      With no personal experience, I can not recommend any (except Rustrak
      strip recorders), but the units at
      http://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/pf.aspx?FN=99.pdf look very
      interesting and reasonable priced.

      --
      David G. LeVine
      Nashua, NH 03060
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
        My Apollo T-80 logs everything for me. My old C-60 would keep track of what
        you got in a day or when you reset the log part and gave you a running log
        from the time you put it in.

        Jeff
        From NH

        > It is very important to keep track of the voltage on batteries. I was
        > wondering can anyone recommend a data logger ?
        >
        > I found this one..
        >
        > http://www.reuk.co.uk/Renewable-Energy-System-Data-Logger.htm
        >
        > But wondered if someone had one better?

        With no personal experience, I can not recommend any (except Rustrak
        strip recorders), but the units at
        http://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/pf.aspx?FN=99.pdf look very
        interesting and reasonable priced.

        --
        David G. LeVine
        Nashua, NH 03060

      • Mart Hale
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008

          Hi,

          Ok I see that here.

          http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/controller-folder/ApolloT80.html

          That looks very nice that it does all the work automatic for you.   That is what I look for in a system automatic processes.

          I am starting to charge some batteries with solar, ( not that much wind in my area ) and was trying to do the calculations of what it would take to run my house.

          With 80 Amps continuous output, the Apollo Solar T80 will process up to 5300 Watts of PV power - the largest capacity in the industry by over 30%. The T80 captures up to 35% more power from the photovoltaic (PV) array. Our Patent Pending MPPT algorithm starts early and locks onto the peak power during rapidly changing insolation and temperature.

          The Apollo Solar T80 includes a built-in energy monitor using TriMetricTM Technology from Bogart Engineering. It tracks power production and consumption and calculates the energy remaining in the battery. State of Charge (SOC) is displayed in Percent Full, Amp-hours and bar graph format. Historical data on energy harvest are stored in the T80 for ninety days.

          > It is very important to keep track of the voltage on batteries. I was
          > wondering can anyone recommend a data logger ?
          >
          > I found this one..
          >
          > http://www.reuk. co.uk/Renewable- Energy-System- Data-Logger. htm
          >
          > But wondered if someone had one better?

          With no personal experience, I can not recommend any (except Rustrak
          strip recorders), but the units at
          http://www.alliedel ec.com/Catalog/ pf.aspx?FN= 99.pdf look very
          interesting and reasonable priced.

          --
          David G. LeVine
          Nashua , NH 03060

        • Steve Spence
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
            Yout t-80 will track what your wind gen puts out, but not any other
            sources of charging. I use the trimetric to monitor everything in and
            out of my batteries, regardless of which source is charging, wind, sun,
            or generator. The new pentametric has multiple shunts, so you can see
            each source individually.

            Steve Spence
            http://www.green-trust.org

            Sign up for our newsletter at
            http://www.green-trust.org/newsletter/

            Jeff wrote:

            > My Apollo T-80 logs everything for me. My old C-60 would keep track of what
            > you got in a day or when you reset the log part and gave you a running log
            > from the time you put it in.
            >
            > Jeff
            > >From NH

          • Browne Altman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
              I have been using the unit at this site: http://www.paktrakr.com/.
              It monitors your battery usage by tracking current in and out arther
              than the voltage.

              It is very simple to connect and use. There is no shunt because it
              uses a Hall Effect sensor to read the current. It can log the info to
              your PC via a serial cable.

              Browne Altman
            • Steve Spence
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                does it just monitor amps, or does it track amp hours? hall effect, huh?
                hmm... sounds easier than shunts.

                Browne Altman wrote:

                > I have been using the unit at this site: http://www.paktrakr.com/.
                > <http://www.paktrakr.com/.>
                > It monitors your battery usage by tracking current in and out arther
                > than the voltage.
                >
                > It is very simple to connect and use. There is no shunt because it
                > uses a Hall Effect sensor to read the current. It can log the info to
                > your PC via a serial cable.
                >
                > Browne Altman

              • David G. LeVine
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 1, 2008
                  Steve Spence wrote:
                  > does it just monitor amps, or does it track amp hours? hall effect, huh?
                  > hmm... sounds easier than shunts.

                  It is, take a look at the Tamura part at
                  http://www.tamuracorp.com/clientuploads/pdfs/engineeringdocs/L01ZXXXS05.pdf,
                  about $15-$20, good for up to 600 Amperes, fully isolated. Then track
                  the voltage, 2.5 Volts is no current, +/- is offset from that.

                  --
                  David G. LeVine
                  Nashua, NH 03060
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008

                    That looks very interesting, can it do higher than 12V?    My batteriest get up to 14- 16V…

                    Thanks!

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                      What kind of batteries do you have? most should never get over 14.4
                      volts during charging.

                      the trimetric from bogart can do up to 48 volts with a adapter.

                      Mart Hale wrote:

                      > That looks very interesting, can it do higher than 12V? My batteriest
                      > get up to 14- 16V…
                      >
                      > Thanks!

                    • Mart Hale
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                        I have semi batteries :)

                        I get them for $10.00 and then recondition them. They pack a punch for
                        power.

                        I a going to load test them to compare them to my golf cart batteries
                        Which have a resting point of 6.4V

                        Mart Hale wrote:

                        > That looks very interesting, can it do higher than 12V? My batteriest
                        > get up to 14- 16V.
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                      • Steve Spence
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                          They won't last long, but for the price, I guess you can't go wrong.

                          Mart Hale wrote:

                          > I have semi batteries :)
                          >
                          > I get them for $10.00 and then recondition them. They pack a punch for
                          > power.
                          >
                          > I a going to load test them to compare them to my golf cart batteries
                          > Which have a resting point of 6.4V

                        • Kirk McLoren
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                            BoBottom half of page

                            Bobbttom half of page
                          • jerry freedomev
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 2, 2008
                              Hi kirk and All,

                              --- Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@...> wrote:

                              > BoBottom half of page
                              >

                              > http://www.redrok.com/ev.htm
                              >
                              > Bobbttom half of page

                              This an electronic version of a contactor
                              controller it seems. I think they are wrong as they
                              still need full voltage Fets or IGBTs .
                              But using larger solenoid switches instead
                              of Fets and equal voltage battery packs has worked
                              well for over 100 yrs in EV's, trains, ect. I like
                              them because inexpensive, easy to repair but only good
                              on DC motors.
                              None are useful for axial flux.
                              One way they, we could do with lower
                              voltage, high amp Fets is a split battery pack, say
                              +60=0=-60, for +/- power so just a Fet for each
                              polarity instead of 4/phase a single polarity pack
                              would need if one wanted to make an AF, BLDC motor.
                              I'm looking for a good coil driving circuit
                              for it now.

                              Jerry Dycus