RE : Re: RE : Re: [axialflux] Re: Axial-flux design company

  • jaouad azzouzi
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30 7:22 PM
      Sorry Bob, I just found the answer before very agressive
      I have never told any thing about Ph.D. before... And I know the importance of contributions of all people...
      So, Sorry againt
      Sincerely

      bob golding <photoman290@...> a écrit :
      just as a question of semantics your statement.
      " A original work does not mean a new one..." could
      open an even bigger can of worms....

      kind regards
      bob golding
      no Phd in anything.

      --- jaouad azzouzi <jaouad_azzouzi@ yahoo.fr> wrote:

> [...]
      > diesel gen-sets
      > and then
      > > adapted for wind turbines.
      >
      > Hugh Piggotts design is completely in every detail
      > covered by the
      > patent best I can tell. If anybody goes to the page
      > and reads the
      > 'claims' bit - its pretty astounding all the stuff
      > that Jim Bumby
      > takes credit for.
      >
      > I have pictures of similar axial flux machines in
      > books from the
      > 1800's. I wonder what could possibly be patented
      > here. I expect the
      > patent will go nowhere.
      >
      > The air-cored machine was developed by Jim Bumby
      > > and a patent application was made by the
      > Technology Transfer
      > Department at
      > > Durham in (I think) 2003. At this point the
      > similarity to Hugh Piggot's
      > > machine came to light. The Durham machine is
      > slightly different,
      > however, in
      > > that it's based around a modular design of
      > armature coils rather then a
      > > fully potted stator.
      >
      > The 'claims' on the patent itself include any
      > machine where the coils
      > are potted in resin.
      >

      > > I've just finished my PhD at Durham designing
      > these things and I'm
      > starting
      > > a spin-out company trying to exploit the
      > technology.
      >
      > Thats great news... so long as you don't have the
      > idea that you're
      > going to exploit/own patent on lots of other peoples
      > ideas (some of
      > which are very old). Machines I built 8 years ago
      > would be covered by
      > the patent. From reading it all.. the 'magneto'
      > (actually a PM axial
      > flux alternator) in over 20,000,000 model T fords
      > would also be
      > covered... The patent is rediculous.
      >
      > I'm not interested in
      > > suing people
      >
      > Good!
      >
      > >or preventing them from building their own devices,
      >
      > What about folks building/designing for business? Do
      > you have the
      > idea that your company is the only one allowed to do
      > that stuff?
      >
      > >I just
      > > thought you guys might know people who wanted
      > design work done.
      >
      > I think thats great. Lose the patent garbage on your
      > website and gain
      > some credibility first I should think... I agree
      > with Mike (I think
      > it was Mike) - this is like trying to patent the
      > steam engine... or
      > the wheel. I'm surprised that such stuff can
      > actually be spawned by
      > credible universities.

      > ------------ --------- --------- ---
      > Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo!
      > Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour
      > appeler la France et l'international. Téléchargez la

      Be a better friend, newshound, and

      Nouveau : téléphonez moins cher avec Yahoo! Messenger ! Découvez les tarifs exceptionnels pour appeler la France et l'international. Téléchargez la version beta.

    • bob golding
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2008
        np. i agree asking the person first would have been
        more polite. on Phd;s arent they published anyway
        after they are granted? or is it up to the person who
        holds them? i do know that some universities try to
        hold onto the commercial rights of there Phd students.
        opps getting a bit of topic here,but feel it is still
        relavant to the topic given the interest shown.

        kind regards
        bob golding

      • Nick Stannard
        Message 3 of 18 , May 16, 2008
          Hi all,

          I've put one of our academic papers on the air-cored axial flux generator in the group files if anyone's interested - it's a bit technical though. I tried to put my thesis on there but it's too big (10MB).

          Nick