A Writer's Network

  • SouthParkHeeb
    Message 1 of 208 , Oct 18, 1998
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for A Writer's Network community.
    • timothymf
      Message 208 of 208 , Feb 6, 2002
        The idea is good, and it revolves around a
        poignant topic. <br>I do think that it is necessary that
        you first write it in your native language. I say
        this because for the most part the story is so distant
        from the reader. The reader is being told what is
        happening rather than shown. For readers to be truly
        interested there has to be action. Write exactly what
        happens when the mother comes home from the bars, drunk.
        What does she do? What do the children do? The
        characters need to react, to express emotion, to demonstrate
        how their situation affects them, changes them. This
        would make a great story for a longer work. It would
        also be great to take just one moment and develop it
        as a short story. <br><br>I hope this is not
        discouraging.