Your Platinum Cat propane catalytic heater

  • Rol Murrow
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 17, 2012
      Message

      Steve,

      A while back you reported that you were pleased with the Platinum Cat heater you installed in your Avion.

      I do not have one but have recommended that folks interested in heaters look into it.

      I understand the advantages include:

      Works at high altitudes

      Virtually silent operation

      Puts out radiant heat as opposed to having a blower throw heated air throughout the trailer and a fair amount of it out the vent

      Usually uses far less propane for the amount of heat produced

      Is vented to the outside using a very small fan so there is no worry about combustion byproducts - mostly CO2 and water vapor - accumulating in the trailer - or the trailer having a loss of oxygen

      Efficient use of electricity seems to make it very attractive to boondockers and solar system users

      Could you answer a few additional questions?

      Does it heat the entire trailer nicely or is the heat concentrated in the room where the heater is located?

      Does the vent fan make any noise?

      How much electricity does the vent fan use?  (I know it will be FAR less than the blower on conventional furnaces!)

      Some catalytic heaters discolor the paneling immediately above them from rising heated air.  Is this a problem with the Platinum Cat?

      Does the heater fire up automatically when the thermostat calls for it, or does it have a pilot light or require lighting by hand?

      How cold does it get in the winter in your area?

      Do you still use your furnace on very cold nights?

      Thanks and Cheers,

           Rol

      1978 Avion 30R
      1987 Avion 34X
      1985 GMC Suburban 3/4 2WD 454 Automatic
      Gavilan, New Mexico

    • Steve Pfiffner
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 17, 2012
        Does it heat the entire trailer nicely or is the heat concentrated in the room where the heater is located?

        In my installation in a '61 20ft Tourist it warms the front well, I often balance it with a small electric heater in the rear
        bathroom if its really cold. Remember its only 5,800btu

        Does the vent fan make any noise?

         yes but not much

        How much electricity does the vent fan use?  (I know it will be FAR less than the blower on conventional furnaces!)

         Very little, it is 12 volt making it efficient for boondocking, specs are on the website (google Platinum Cat Heater)

        Some catalytic heaters discolor the paneling immediately above them from rising heated air.  Is this a problem with the Platinum Cat?

        I have not had that problem

        Does the heater fire up automatically when the thermostat calls for it, or does it have a pilot light or require lighting by hand?

        Completely automatic and thermostatically controlled

        How cold does it get in the winter in your area?

        I winter in central Texas, it can get cold but I don't use the Avion in sub-freezing weather

        Do you still use your furnace on very cold nights?

         The Platinum Cat replaced the original furnace for me, at only 5,800btu it really is for auxiliary (and very efficient)
        heating purposes but can't replace a 30,000btu furnace for real cold weather

         Steve
         '61 Tourist 20.

        Steve,

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 17, 2012
          Message

          Steve,

          Thanks for the answers!

          Since the heater has its own vent I can understand that it has little in the way of rising combustion products to heat or stain the wall above.

          Cheers,

              Rol

        • worahm@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 17, 2012

            Rol.  Back in the mid to late 1980"s, It was popular for many members of the Avion Travelcade Club to installed catalytic heaters in their Avion trailers.   Many of them installed the heater on the side of a cabinet near the front door.

            I remember after only a year or so the wood on the side of the cabinet would crack, probably because the heater dried out the wood.

            The cracking was wide spred.  I don't recall anyone I knew who was able to solve the problem or prevent the wood from cracking.  Most members just stopped using the heater.

            Bill 1987 Avion 30P

            Ocala, Florida

          • Steve Pfiffner
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012
               I also own an '89 Airstream Excella that had a Thermix brand catalytic heater installed about 25 years ago. There has been absolutely no drying out of the cabinet work over a very long period of time. It was using this heater that made me want a Platinum Cat, in windy conditions having to open windows for the unvented type can be very counterproductive and though the Thermix worked for me above 8000ft the unvented brand available now comes with
              the warning not to use it above 8000ft. For most people it probably is of little concern but I live 1/3 of the year at 9000ft.

              Steve
              '61 Tourist 20
              Cool in Cloudcroft

              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012

                Good Morning Steve.

                As far as I am aware, catalytic heaters were relatively new to the market back in the mid to late 1980's.  Early models may not have been as well designed as the heaters produced later on.   Also, I have no way of knowing if the heaters were properly installed, if the propane pressure was excessive, causing overheating or how they was used.

                I posted the information about the wood damage because back in the late 80's when I was considering installing a catalytic heater in my Avion, I talked with people who were using the heaters.  They pointed out the damage to their cabinets and were generally less then optimistic about using their heater.  It was common place to see the same damage to the wood above the heaters in trailers that used catalytic heaters at Avion campouts.  Some campers installed a metal shield above the heater to minimize damage to the wood.

                Based on their experience I decided not to install a catalytic heater in my Avion.

                I have no doubt catalytic heater technology has improved and if wood damage was a problem early on, it would have been quickly addressed.  I believe it is a good idea to check the propane pressure when using any type of heater in a trailer.

                Bill 1987 Avion 30P

                Ocala, Florida

              • Rol Murrow
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012
                  Message

                  Bill,

                  I suspect that the Platinum Cat doesn't seem to have the problem of darkening or cracking the wall above is because it has a little fan that vents out the combustion products rather than permitting them to travel up from the heater.

                  And I imagine that installing a radiant heater on short standoffs on the wall would allow air to circulate up and behind a heater, also alleviating any wall heating problems.
                • worahm@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012

                    Very good points Rol.

                    I don't believe the heaters I examined back in the 80's had a fan.  If fact I am certain they did not.  Also as I remember they mounted directly to the wall.  There were no stand offs to provide air space behind the heater.

                    Bill 1987 Avion 30P

                    Ocala, Florida

                  • ag2000co
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012
                      Yes Steve there is something to be said for high places. Currently in Silverton at 9300ft in the bottom of the valley.

                      Lou
                      Starband, Tripod, WRT54G, WiFi
                      1959 Avion Regal-26
                      1960 Avion Holiday 24 - may she RIP
                      Say what you will about Sisyphus. He always has work.

                      --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, Steve Pfiffner <mad1@...> wrote:

                      > For most people it probably is of
                      > little concern but I live 1/3 of the year at 9000ft.
                      >
                      > Steve
                      > '61 Tourist 20
                      > Cool in Cloudcroft

                    • Steve Pfiffner
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012

                        The Platinum Cat has a pretty good heat shield of its own to keep from overheating the surrounding woodwork.
                        Now I have seen these heaters up to about 8,000btu's. Perhaps people were installing too large a heater for
                        the place they located it.
                      • worahm@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012

                          <Quote> Perhaps people were installing too large a heater for the place they located it.

                          That's also a good possibility also Steve.  Sometimes, people think that bigger is better and that is not always the case.

                          Bill 1987 Avion 30P

                          Ocala, Florida

                        • Elo A. Buenger III
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 18, 2012
                            Bill,

                            I installed a Warn catalytic heater as you stated in my 1970 Avion Ultra and began to experience the mentioned problems with the wood. I purchased a Ekco dual wall cookie sheet slightly larger than the heater and solved the problem. These cookie sheets were designed to provide a more even heating surface that prevented the cookies from burning to the surface. There were dimples that kept the sheet slightly elevated from the wall allowing air to circulate between the back of the skeet and the wall. There was a curved edge one one end of the sheet that I placed a couple of inches above the top of the Warn heater facing out to deflect some of the heat away from the wall. This solved all the problems with the wood drying out and cracking. I don't know if these cookie sheets are still available as I bought mine back in the late 1980's at Sears. A quick search on the internet may provide a source. They also work as advertised for cookies.

                            Elo
                            1987 Avion 32s
                            2005 3/4 Ton Suburban 4x4 8.1L

                            On Aug 17, 2012, at 6:33 PM, worahm@... wrote:

                            Rol.  Back in the mid to late 1980"s, It was popular for many members of the Avion Travelcade Club to installed catalytic heaters in their Avion trailers.   Many of them installed the heater on the side of a cabinet near the front door.

                            I remember after only a year or so the wood on the side of the cabinet would crack, probably because the heater dried out the wood.

                            The cracking was wide spred.  I don't recall anyone I knew who was able to solve the problem or prevent the wood from cracking.  Most members just stopped using the heater.

                            Bill 1987 Avion 30P

                            Ocala, Florida

                          • Alfredo Rojas
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 6 9:56 PM
                              Hello Leif,

                              I am a new owner of a 1965 Avion. Not quite sure of the model since the title i got was from a lien sale. The Title calls the model a TT-27.

                              Do you know how to desifer the model from the serial number?

                              The Id Number is S24057

                              The actual trailer is only 20' long on the exterior back panel to exterior front panel. Over-all from back of bumper to tip of tounge it's only 25'

                              I have no paperwork, documentation, brochures or pamphlets on this trailer or any of its appliances.

                              If you have any pearls of wisdom, or scanned paperwork, to a new vintage travel trailer owner, they would be very well received!!

                              Also what clubs are active and growing? Do you belong to any? I live in the west side of the country. Las Vegas, Nevada to be exact.

                              Look forward to hearing back from you.

                              Sincerely,

                              Alfredo Rojas
                              (7020 818-0061

                              p.s. I have attached a few pictures to see if it helps identify what it is I have. :0) Thanks for your help!

                              --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, "LeifB" <cheapswede@...> wrote:

                              > I toyed with the idea of a Plat Cat myself. I liked the idea of them being vented.
                              > I called the company since they are local to me, but they advised me they are no longer in production - they are doing servicing only. They did offer to build one custom order, but they wanted a whole lot of dough for it. Can't seem to recall how much, but it was close to a new Suburban furnace.
                              > I do not want to be dependent on electricity for heat while camping.
                              >
                              > The Olympian line looks to be a common choice at the trailer rallies I have been to.
                              >
                              > Leif
                              > Shelton, WA
                              > 1965 T-21
                              >

                              > --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, "vwheaters" <normanjean@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Let the fun begin! Purchased a new to me 1962 T-20 which dosen't have a cover on the tall funace by the door. Anyone have one for sale? Also been thinking about just chucking it and putting in a Platinum Cat catalytic heater. Any ideas or thoughts?
                              > > Thanks

                            • LeifB
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 28, 2013
                                Alfredo;
                                If you haven't already deciphered the serial #, try emailing Dr G at: http://my.execpc.com/~drg/avion.html

                                I believe he can help with the decoding.
                                I understand they made the Holiday 24 and also the 27 ft Travelcade that year. so could be either. Your measurement should include the tongue. Odd that the the title says 27, but the serial number says 24.

                                I will try to help with any questions as I have just finished my 1965 restoration.

                                Leif
                                1965 S21

                                --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, "Alfredo Rojas" <fredo.rojas@...> wrote:

                                > Hello Leif,
                                >
                                > I am a new owner of a 1965 Avion. Not quite sure of the model since the title i got was from a lien sale. The Title calls the model a TT-27.
                                >
                                > Do you know how to desifer the model from the serial number?
                                >
                                > The Id Number is S24057
                                >
                                > The actual trailer is only 20' long on the exterior back panel to exterior front panel. Over-all from back of bumper to tip of tounge it's only 25'
                                >
                                > I have no paperwork, documentation, brochures or pamphlets on this trailer or any of its appliances.
                                >
                                > If you have any pearls of wisdom, or scanned paperwork, to a new vintage travel trailer owner, they would be very well received!!
                                >
                                > Also what clubs are active and growing? Do you belong to any? I live in the west side of the country. Las Vegas, Nevada to be exact.
                                >
                                > Look forward to hearing back from you.
                                >
                                > Sincerely,
                                >
                                > Alfredo Rojas
                                > (7020 818-0061
                                >
                                > p.s. I have attached a few pictures to see if it helps identify what it is I have. :0) Thanks for your help!
                                >
                                > --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, "LeifB" <cheapswede@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I toyed with the idea of a Plat Cat myself. I liked the idea of them being vented.
                                > > I called the company since they are local to me, but they advised me they are no longer in production - they are doing servicing only. They did offer to build one custom order, but they wanted a whole lot of dough for it. Can't seem to recall how much, but it was close to a new Suburban furnace.
                                > > I do not want to be dependent on electricity for heat while camping.
                                > >
                                > > The Olympian line looks to be a common choice at the trailer rallies I have been to.
                                > >
                                > > Leif
                                > > Shelton, WA
                                > > 1965 T-21
                                > >

                                > > --- In avioncampingandrestoration@yahoogroups.com, "vwheaters" <normanjean@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Let the fun begin! Purchased a new to me 1962 T-20 which dosen't have a cover on the tall funace by the door. Anyone have one for sale? Also been thinking about just chucking it and putting in a Platinum Cat catalytic heater. Any ideas or thoughts?
                                > > > Thanks

                              • LeifB
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 28, 2013
                                  VW Heaters;
                                  What did you end-up doing about the furnace?

                                  Leif
                                  1965 S-21