Article about Botox Therapy

  • Dimitra Giannopoulou
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2003
      Guys I have come across an article that seems to be interesting. I will try
      to translate it best way I can.
      Let me know what you think. Please, keep in mind that I translated it form
      Greek to English with no good knowledge of medicine terms. Words in brackets
      are the words I am not sure of.

      Botox, a medicine used in therapy against wrinkles, is making a hit to
      everyone that overcome their fear on needles, in order to continue to look
      young. Researches though that this particular medicine- a "neurotoxin" that
      causes temporary paralysis of muscles - can help some really young. Almost
      one to 5 hundred babies are being born with clubfoot, a disease that heel
      and toes are rotated inwards. This deformation is being cured by putting the
      foot on normal position and fixate it with "bandaging" it for several
      months. Before this procedure, most babies must undergo a surgery for
      lengthening the tendon , so that the rotation will be easy. Botox is
      lengthening the tendons by loosing them. For that reason there was no need
      of the surgery to the cases that experimentally used this therapy at the
      Children's Hospital of Vancouver, by the administration of Dr. Christina
      Alvarez. By following therapy with Botox injections at the area of curs all
      forty babies that participated at the testing, doctors were able to bring
      back their feet to normal position, where feet were fixated with
      "bandaging".

      Dimitra