Needing suggestions

  • Beki
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2011
      Hey folks,

      I've a friend who has a friend who was in a car accident a while back. They are looking for things to help him out mobility wise and I figure folks here might have some suggestions. Please let me know what you can come up with. Thanks!

      From my friend's blog:

      A friend of mine was in a horrible car accident two months ago.

      He was basically dead by the time he was airlifted into the hospital. BP was 40 over zero. Core temp was something like 87. He was in a medically-induced coma (or heavy sedation, stories differ) for a month. He's had back surgery, fusing five vertebra. He's had surgery on both arms and both legs. One foot was removed. His left hand is non-responsive due to nerve damage.

      However, his brain is there and working. His personality is intact and his right hand works. He's making due shockingly well and pushing himself through amazing amounts of physical therapy. He was uninsured, but no one is worrying about that as he didn't really have any assets to begin with so bankruptcy is going to suck, but it's a lot better than being dead or brain damaged. He lives with his parents (long story), so he'll have day to day assistance. The group is coming together to provide him with the materials he needs to train himself into an IT job he can do with one hand. (He's a graphics artist, but could be a NOC/SOC tech with a bit of effort.) However, his limited ability to manipulate objects with only one hand is clearly frustrating him.

      So, I'm looking for a set of clamps or something that he can use with one hand, clamp to something, clamp something else into it and then use his good hand to manipulate it. Likely clamp-to surfaces would include his wheelchair, a table, a counter, a bed frame, etc. I'm thinking that the ideal would be a set of joined spring clamps with a screw adjustment. Anyone know of anything like that? Any better idea than for me to just go to random hardware stores and see what's available?