Mandibular Distraction

  • Beverly R Hanset-Burch
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
      I want to talk specifically to people that have had this surgery, or have had their children have this surgery. I want the good, the bad the ugly.

      I also want to talk to anyone that pursued nonsurgical methods.

      I am finding most people move on once their jaw problems are remedied. This makes perfect sense since it is no longer a burning issue. For us though it makes it difficult to impossible to find information.

      Ditto with any g-tube information.

      Thanks.

    • Betsy Gates
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
        Hi! We're just about to have the surgery for our son. He's scheduled
        for Dec. 12th. Jake also has a g-tube that we really haven't had too
        many issues with. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can!

        Betsy

        --- In avenues2@yahoogroups.com, "Beverly R Hanset-Burch"
        <beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

        > I want to talk specifically to people that have had this surgery, or
        have had their children have this surgery. I want the good, the bad
        the ugly.

        > I also want to talk to anyone that pursued nonsurgical methods.
        >
        > I am finding most people move on once their jaw problems are
        remedied. This makes perfect sense since it is no longer a burning
        issue. For us though it makes it difficult to impossible to find
        information.

        > Ditto with any g-tube information.
        >
        > Thanks.

      • Beverly R Hanset-Burch
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
          I will be very curious how it goes, complications afterwards, pain involved....
          and if I can find teens or young adults or heck anyone older that has done it with success and well no success...

          <beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

          > I want to talk specifically to people that have had this surgery, or
          have had their children have this surgery. I want the good, the bad
          the ugly.

          > I also want to talk to anyone that pursued nonsurgical methods.
          >
          > I am finding most people move on once their jaw problems are
          remedied. This makes perfect sense since it is no longer a burning
          issue. For us though it makes it difficult to impossible to find
          information.

          > Ditto with any g-tube information.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Betsy Gates-Ehlers
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
            There's a family where we go for Speech Therapy who had great success -
            meaning decannulation - after the surgery. That's what we're hoping for!
            Betsy

            On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Beverly R Hanset-Burch <
            beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

            > I will be very curious how it goes, complications afterwards, pain
            > involved....
            > and if I can find teens or young adults or heck anyone older that has done
            > it with success and well no success...

          • Beverly R Hanset-Burch
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
              So Jake has the trach? From what I have read it works wonders on that.

              beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

              > I will be very curious how it goes, complications afterwards, pain
              > involved....
              > and if I can find teens or young adults or heck anyone older that has done
              > it with success and well no success...

            • Beverly R Hanset-Burch
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 16, 2009
                Just curious how surgery was for Jake...

                <beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

                > I want to talk specifically to people that have had this surgery, or
                have had their children have this surgery. I want the good, the bad
                the ugly.

                > I also want to talk to anyone that pursued nonsurgical methods.
                >
                > I am finding most people move on once their jaw problems are
                remedied. This makes perfect sense since it is no longer a burning
                issue. For us though it makes it difficult to impossible to find
                information.

                > Ditto with any g-tube information.
                >
                > Thanks.

              • Betsy Gates-Ehlers
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 17, 2009
                  It all went really well. Got the appliance in in December, turned the
                  screws for 3 weeks (3x/day, 1mm each turn) then left the jaw to heal up
                  until February. When the appliance was removed, an ENT did an initial
                  bronch scope and said the airway looks good. We're hoping to get the trach
                  out this summer!

                  Betsy

                  On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Beverly R Hanset-Burch <
                  beverlyhansetburch@...> wrote:

                  > Just curious how surgery was for Jake...

                • Beverly R Hanset-Burch
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 17, 2009
                    Oh good. Good to hear.

                    Bonnie is not a candidate for the surgery at this time. But she doesn't have a trach either. We are pursuing a head chin cap device, and then later an orthodontic device. Our orthodontist is great and brainstorming nonsurgical methods since I have had half a dozen surgeons say she isn't a candidate.