amc and sensory integration disorder

  • tjohns7147
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hi everyone. I am wondering if any kiddos w/ amc have also been
      diagnosed with sensory integration disorder? Or are sensory issues just
      a side effect of the amc? I am a preschool teacher and have been
      reading about SI disorder and noticing some things with my son. A few
      things are some pretty severe wiggling while sitting at the table (i.e.
      shaking his head side to side and bouncing), he has always had a severe
      gag reflex, at 8yrs. is still having accidents because he doesn't seem
      to realize until the last minute that he has to go and some speech
      issues ( not being able to complete thoughts).Separately these seem
      minor, but after some reading I am wondering if they are connected. Any
      thoughts?? I hope there is still someone out there, it's been mighty
      quiet.
      Thanks & God Bless-
      Sharon
    • beki@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2008
        Some things may present as sensory integration but aren't. My son is still in diapers because he can't tell when he needs to go. That is due in part to arthro being a neuromuscular thing. I can't comment on the gag reflex as my son has always had swallowing issues. He was born with a contracture in his jaw, and possibly his tongue. This has also affected his speech. It's kind of hard to talk when you have a hard time opening your mouth etc.

        Mind you, anything is possible and it never hurts to get these things checked out. Do some more research into what a neuromuscular condition can do and then compare the two. A lot of times two different things can present the same way.

        Beki

        From: "tjohns7147" <tjohns6@...>

      • M71665@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
          Just? read this post and I am wondering if toilet issues are common with children with arthro?? My son is 7 and I can't seem to get him toilet trained no matter what the prize or punishment is!? I once asked his doctor if it could be realted to his artho and he didn't think so...he said most of the time its a problem with the parents not wanting to take the time to take their kids!!
          HELP!!
          If this could be related to his artho ...I feel horrible!

          From: "tjohns7147" <tjohns6@...>

        • beki@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 6, 2008
            It can very well be. It's not always, but i can be. My son has horrible constipation which he takes mirilax for daily. He also can't sense when he has to go most of the time. So he is still in diapers at 8. He just graduated to Curity youth small instead of Huggies size 6. While he isn' t thrilled with having to have diapers, i beats the embarrassment of wetting yourself cause you didn't realize you had to go.

            Have you ever been to an arthro clinic? You can learn a lot. That was where I learned that some kids to have potty issues of one stripe or another. Your intestinal tract is sort of one big muscle if you think about it. It has to open and contract for the food to move along. It logically stands to reason that because arthro is a neuro musuclar disorder, and the intestines for this example work as muscles, that your child could have issues.

            One way to test the theory would be to put your kid in big kid undies. Let them run around at home and let them know they will have to go potty on the toilet or they will have to soil themselves. If they need help, be johnny on the spot o assist them. If they still wet and claim they didn't know, put a clean pair on them and start over. No one likes sitting in icky undies. It will either get them to go potty, or you will most likely have a kid with similar potty issues as my son.

            Beki

            From: M71665@...
            > Just? read this post and I am wondering if toilet issues are common with
            > children with arthro?? My son is 7 and I can't seem to get him toilet trained no
            > matter what the prize or punishment is!? I once asked his doctor if it could be
            > realted to his artho and he didn't think so...he said most of the time its a
            > problem with the parents not wanting to take the time to take their kids!!
            > HELP!!
            > If this could be related to his artho ...I feel horrible!

          • Bonnie
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
              tjohns7147 wrote:

              > Hi everyone. I am wondering if any kiddos w/ amc have also been
              > diagnosed with sensory integration disorder? Or are sensory issues just
              > a side effect of the amc? I am a preschool teacher and have been
              > reading about SI disorder and noticing some things with my son. A few
              > things are some pretty severe wiggling while sitting at the table (i.e.
              > shaking his head side to side and bouncing), he has always had a severe
              > gag reflex, at 8yrs. is still having accidents because he doesn't seem
              > to realize until the last minute that he has to go and some speech
              > issues ( not being able to complete thoughts).Separately these seem
              > minor, but after some reading I am wondering if they are connected. Any
              > thoughts?? I hope there is still someone out there, it's been mighty
              > quiet.
              > Thanks & God Bless-
              > Sharon

              I have never heard of this sensory integration disorder before. Emma is
              10 and has always been a "wriggler". She does this thing where she
              starts wriggling her right knee, then she starts up the hips and then
              the arms and shoulders start in. We met another little boy a couple of
              years younger than Emma and I noticed right away that he does the
              shaking thing but instead of side to side like Emma does, he is an up
              and downer. Interesting. I'll have to ask her doctor about this.

              Bonnie Foxall (North Alabama)
            • SHARON JOHNS
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2008
                Bonnie-
                I am still new to sensory integration and trying to learn. I had 2 students with the disorder this year, so I was trying to understand it better. Basically, the senses are either over or under sensitive. They will then shy away from touch, noise when they're oversensitive or crave it if undersensitive. Oversensitive kids will i.e. not like wearing a coat, sweaters are too scratchy, don't like having their hair brushed, hold their ears etc. My one student would climb on things in class to get out of the commotion caused by other students. Undersensitive kids will almost seem hyper active, hitting, banging things louder than others, needing to touch everything. This is just a small part of the effects.
                ~Sharon

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Thanks for your email.? I go to the Arthro clinic in Dupon, Delaware.? i asked Dr. Jay if it might be a problem related to arthrogryposis and he told me NO.? So i never asked again or thought about it till i read the emails!? and to think i have been punishing him all this time!? He is embarrased when it happens in school ...but it happens anyways....Now i will have to go find another doctor.
                  He also wears diapers to bed...we haven't even tried the nightime training...

                  From: M71665@...