Swimming

  • Dimitra Giannopoulou
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
      Hello everyone for a still sunny Greece.

      Are you getting ready for Christmas?

      I would like to ask for your advice on swimming. Melina has started swimming
      classes recently. Most of the swimming teachers have some experience with
      kids that have more difficulties than movement. Apart from the typical
      swimming instructions is there something more that I should know. Is there
      some specific program that she (the teacher is a she) can follow and help my
      daughter even more?

      I remind that Melina is a typical AMC child which was born 7 years ago (how
      time flies!!!!) with rotated inwards shoulder, extended elbows & knees,
      rotated inwards feet. She has come a long way ever since and she can walk
      and play soccer, and she can bent one elbow passively to more than 120
      degrees. The shoulders are week and one arm more than the other.

      And one thing that I have never read in our conversations. She has a weight
      problem. She loves food but it looks like that if she wanted to keep her
      weight down, she should eat like a bird. We have made all exams and she is
      perfectly healthy. Unfortunately, this year, the school teachers were on
      strike for more than 2.5 months and Melina stayed with my mother. I know, I
      should have quit my job. I did not and she gained 3.5 kilos (that is more
      than 7 pounds)

      Anyway, I should appreciate any instructions or suggestions you may have on
      the swimming matter.

      Thanks

      Dimitra

    • M71665@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
        hi..My name is Michelle and my son is 5yrs old with AMC. As of this summer he is swimming all by himself!! its amazing to watch! he swims on his side his head goes under the water but he learned how to lift it out to take a breath. he swims alot on his back as well. If you need any information on how he does it feel free to contact me at m71665@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2006
          Swimming is great! Jason goes to adaptive swimming at Children's in Seattle. It seems like your basic swim class to me, the only difference is the pool is heated to about 93 degrees farenheit. Jason likes the warm, and the instructors (most, if not all of whom are therapists) say that the really helps to loosen his muscles up. If your daughter is really stiff, you may want to do a bit of ROM before she gets in the pool. Otherwise, you have made an excellent choice :)

          Beki

          From: "Dimitra Giannopoulou" <dimigian@...>

          > Hello everyone for a still sunny Greece.
          >
          > Are you getting ready for Christmas?
          >

          > I would like to ask for your advice on swimming. Melina has started swimming
          > classes recently. Most of the swimming teachers have some experience with
          > kids that have more difficulties than movement. Apart from the typical
          > swimming instructions is there something more that I should know. Is there
          > some specific program that she (the teacher is a she) can follow and help my
          > daughter even more?
          >
          > I remind that Melina is a typical AMC child which was born 7 years ago (how
          > time flies!!!!) with rotated inwards shoulder, extended elbows & knees,
          > rotated inwards feet. She has come a long way ever since and she can walk
          > and play soccer, and she can bent one elbow passively to more than 120
          > degrees. The shoulders are week and one arm more than the other.
          >

          > And one thing that I have never read in our conversations. She has a weight
          > problem. She loves food but it looks like that if she wanted to keep her
          > weight down, she should eat like a bird. We have made all exams and she is
          > perfectly healthy. Unfortunately, this year, the school teachers were on
          > strike for more than 2.5 months and Melina stayed with my mother. I know, I
          > should have quit my job. I did not and she gained 3.5 kilos (that is more
          > than 7 pounds)
          >

          > Anyway, I should appreciate any instructions or suggestions you may have on
          > the swimming matter.
          >

          > Thanks
          >
          > Dimitra

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • mary heinen
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2006
            We have also used the warmer pools and that works great for our daughter. Juliet gets cold quickly in regular pools. Juliet doesn't have much use of her arms (for traditional swimming) so one thing they taught her in swimming lessons is flip breaths. The idea is that she swims on her tummy and then flips on to her back to breathe then flips over again to swim and keeps going like that. She can swim nearly the length of the pool using this method. Hope it helps...

            happy day!....mary

            From: "Dimitra Giannopoulou" <dimigian@...>

            > Hello everyone for a still sunny Greece.
            >
            > Are you getting ready for Christmas?
            >

            > I would like to ask for your advice on swimming. Melina has started swimming
            > classes recently. Most of the swimming teachers have some experience with
            > kids that have more difficulties than movement. Apart from the typical
            > swimming instructions is there something more that I should know. Is there
            > some specific program that she (the teacher is a she) can follow and help my
            > daughter even more?
            >
            > I remind that Melina is a typical AMC child which was born 7 years ago (how
            > time flies!!!!) with rotated inwards shoulder, extended elbows & knees,
            > rotated inwards feet. She has come a long way ever since and she can walk
            > and play soccer, and she can bent one elbow passively to more than 120
            > degrees. The shoulders are week and one arm more than the other.
            >

            > And one thing that I have never read in our conversations. She has a weight
            > problem. She loves food but it looks like that if she wanted to keep her
            > weight down, she should eat like a bird. We have made all exams and she is
            > perfectly healthy. Unfortunately, this year, the school teachers were on
            > strike for more than 2.5 months and Melina stayed with my mother. I know, I
            > should have quit my job. I did not and she gained 3.5 kilos (that is more
            > than 7 pounds)
            >

            > Anyway, I should appreciate any instructions or suggestions you may have on
            > the swimming matter.
            >

            > Thanks
            >
            > Dimitra

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bonnie
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 19, 2006
              M71665@... wrote:

              > hi..My name is Michelle and my son is 5yrs old with AMC. As of this
              > summer he is swimming all by himself!! its amazing to watch! he swims
              > on his side his head goes under the water but he learned how to lift
              > it out to take a breath. he swims alot on his back as well. If you
              > need any information on how he does it feel free to contact me at
              > m71665@... <mailto:m71665%40aol.com>

              Hey there, I haven't really been on Avenues for a while, but I check in
              now and again. I want to know are these A.M.C. kids swimming with
              floating swimsuits to aid them or really honest to goodness on their
              own? I have been buying Emma (9 years old) suits from Walmart for 3
              years now that have foam blocks in them to keep her afloat. This makes
              it so she can swim all over the pool now. I talked to one mom at
              baseball practice that said her daughter swims in a regular suit. How
              is this possible? Am I cheating Emma by using this suit? I think she
              has the largest suit they make. We have our own pool in the back yard
              but it isn't heated. We live in Alabama and it is sickeningly hot most
              of the summer anyway, but she does get cold more quickly than anyone
              else. I thought they fact that they have more fat than muscle was
              supposed to insulate them. Emma gets seems to always want to shed
              covers in bed, or her coat in the stores and stuff. Strange that the
              pool would be different.

              Bonnie
            • beki@comcast.net

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 24, 2006
                  my son (almost 6yrs) is swimming on his own!!!!
                  thats with amc in all extremities

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                    Bonnie,
                    I posted a while ago about Juliet swimming. She swims with a regular suit and is greatly affected in most of her joints. She can't use her arms very efficiently when she swims but swim she does. She does that flip breath thing I wrote about previously. She is very thin and gets cold easily in most pools. I take her to a therapy pool when I can and the warm water is fabulous for both of us...my tired old body and her young one :)

                    happy day!....mary