AugCom

  • Beverly R Hanset Burch
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
      Has anyone tried any aug com devices with their kids? Success? Failures? Types?
      We are looking at a Dynavox Minimo. And the M4.

    • Disability With A Smile
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi

        Yes, my client uses a device similar to a dynavox. My client uses it to talk with me in our counseling sessions. He does not like it. With out this device I don't understand him. I am new to this device. It is a wonderful device for people that have speech difficulties.

        Your email is interesting because last week I wrote to another group asking for info on the use of this device...

        I really appreciate the following information. No, I have not looked for information online. I am also looking for some kind of gadget that my client can slide the dynabox in to. It is awkward for him to hold and he has a tendency to drop things. My poor client dropped his talking cell phone last week and his brother ran over it with the car.

        Anyway, thanks for this info.... http://www.dynavoxsys.com/

        Beverly R Hanset Burch <b.hansetburch@...> wrote:
        Has anyone tried any aug com devices with their kids? Success? Failures? Types?
        We are looking at a Dynavox Minimo. And the M4.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
          My son uses a Vantage box. My son is 5, but the Vantage is supposed to have a lot of future programability. It has a touch screen that can be sent for sensitivity if the child has hand issues. I havent heard of the others. This is what the school has provided for him.

          Beki

        • carla lambert
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
            Hello,
            The school where our son was convinced us that he needed the Chat PC II....of course they had no clue how to use it, neither did we.....this was all new to us!! He used it for short spurts over a few months, but doesn't need it now. I don't know if it is a good choice or not. Since he started talking never checked out any other device! To me it was a waste of money since he did not get much use out of it.
            Just my 2 cents!
            Carla

            beki@... wrote:
            My son uses a Vantage box. My son is 5, but the Vantage is supposed to have a lot of future programability. It has a touch screen that can be sent for sensitivity if the child has hand issues. I havent heard of the others. This is what the school has provided for him.

            Beki

            Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans Park avenue Avenue plaza

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
              I am glad that the speech folks do know how to use it. There is another boy in Jason's class that uses one as well. Jason has a ways to go yet for intelligibility. He has a jaw and tongue contracture, so its really hard for him to make himself understood.

              Beki

              > Hello,
              > The school where our son was convinced us that he needed the Chat PC II....of
              > course they had no clue how to use it, neither did we.....this was all new to
              > us!! He used it for short spurts over a few months, but doesn't need it now.
              > I don't know if it is a good choice or not. Since he started talking never
              > checked out any other device! To me it was a waste of money since he did not
              > get much use out of it.
              > Just my 2 cents!
              > Carla
              >
              > beki@... wrote:
              > My son uses a Vantage box. My son is 5, but the Vantage is supposed to have a
              > lot of future programability. It has a touch screen that can be sent for
              > sensitivity if the child has hand issues. I havent heard of the others. This is
              > what the school has provided for him.
              >
              > Beki

              > Disabled travel Disabled lift Disabled Disabled vans Park avenue Avenue plaza

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Beverly R Hanset Burch

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Yes, from the CP and from living in an orphanage in Thailand for 3.5 years!! It is sooooo much better now!! I am amazed everyday at how well he is doing. The little princess we are getting from Thailand has AMC, but speaks very well! Apparently she speaks Thai and English and can use both in a conversation!!
                  The school my son was in was an American school in Germany! Of course we did not have access to much there, so that is why they wanted him to get the Chat. But, by the time we got it and someone sort of figured out how to use it he was speaking so well, that it didn't do him much good !! I am grateful though that he is talking so well :)

                  carla