Nissan Fundalplication - HELP

  • TAHARTT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi all -

      We are in the process to adopt a little boy - flying out next week - and I
      just got a call from the social worker saying the hospital now feels he needs a
      feeding tube inserted - a fundaplication. Can anyone with experience tell
      me what this means and how difficult it will be to deal with?

      Thanks!

      Traci Hart-Thomas

    • Jaime and Darrin Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2005
        Traci,

        Our son Dylan (6 1/2) has had feeding issues since he was just over a year. Since he has the ability to eat by mouth we initially tried to stay away from a G-tube (which generally goes along with a Nissen). Dylan had chronic reflux, which made his ability to gain and keep weight on almost impossible. We finally found he had allergies and after a couple of years of Soy free, wheat free, egg, potato, meat, fish, milk, and everything else free and finally a liquid formula diet we found Dylan's allergy was to his own reflux. His throat was in awful shape and his weight was very low even for his low muscle mass. The Nutren Jr formula finally helped him gain 10 pounds over just a few months, but his reflux continued causing him pain so this past December Dylan had a Nissen Fundoplication without the G-tube.

        Dylan recovered very well from the surgery and went home the next day after we were told he would most likely have to stay a week to 10 days. He developed some problems after the surgery because of a very unusual deformity in his stomach which caused him to have "Dumping syndrome" (not uncommon) which is when the food gets stuck in the stomach and causes episodes of retching, hot/cold sweats, paleness, a rash, and finally the person passes out from exhaustion. I don't know if this is how it effects everyone, but Dylan had these episodes almost daily and his appetite was nil. After getting him back on some of his reflux med's he was able to get back into the swing of things, just to get the stomach flu. So another 24 hours of retching. I have to say, I would not have done this surgery if it had not been absolutely necessary for Dylan's health. It is horrible to see him unable to vomit when he needs to. But it Was necessary and he is thriving on his own without high calorie foods and formula supplementation and he only retches now when he is car sick, sea sick, has the flu or has over eaten. It is still horrible to watch, but so is watching your child thow up.

        My suggestion is to get a second and third opinion. I am sure you have looked it up on the Internet and if you have you will see that it either works or it doesn't. There is no in between and to have to go back and undo the surgery is a very big deal (we looked at doing it initially). Try to find out your little boys feeding issues before you make any decisions about the surgery. As with any surgery, it's a big decision. Good Luck!!!

        Jaime Brown
        We are in the process to adopt a little boy - flying out next week - and I
        just got a call from the social worker saying the hospital now feels he needs a
        feeding tube inserted - a fundaplication. Can anyone with experience tell
        me what this means and how difficult it will be to deal with?

        Thanks!

        Traci Hart-Thomas

        Disabled vans Park avenue Avenue plaza

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
          Thanks everyone for the replies!

          I talked the doctors out of doing this procedure. I pick this new little
          guy tomorrow so if we experience problems for the week I am out there we will
          see about having it done when we get home. He is being release on a NG Tube.

          Thanks again!

          Traci Hart-Thomas

        • Beth W.
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 6, 2005
            Aww how old is he and where is he coming from?

            Congrats on your new little sweetie! :)

            Beth

            http://mail.yahoo.com