fragile

  • David and Bonnie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
      I have been having to answer some tough questions lately. Emma was
      sitting on the edge of her little toddler bed the other day and out of
      the blue she said "But I can't dress myself". I was stunned a bit, but
      tried not to show it. What was I going to say? I asked her what made
      her think of that. She said that "you can dress yourself, Ellen and
      Peter can dress all by themselves, but I can't. I sat in front of her
      and explained that she will be able to some day. I tried to explain
      about the muscle issue and how she will do lots of things when she grows
      more, but for now Mommy has to help. The next time I was dressing her,
      I let her put her arms in and she shimmied down the shirt to cover her
      tummy. She liked this. I let her put her feet in her pants and I stood
      her up helping her hold the tops and pull them up. We came out bragging
      to the family over what she had done! She was okay with that for now.
      I need Theresas address AGAIN, so that I can get that tape. I let her
      brush her teeth in the morning with her little princess tooth brush, and
      in the evening I use the musical spinning one. It does a better job. I
      make her pick up her toys, but she always asks for help, and I help.
      She wanted to feed the cats one day, so I let her. I rolled the bag
      down to the level of the food, and she reaches in and scoops a bit and
      pours it into the dish. She does that for a while and earns a dime each
      day! I am going to take her to the store and buy some candy or
      something. Is there anything else I can do? I do let her help clean.
      I let her wipe the floor with a damp rag and she likes that. Anything
      else? What am I going to do if we end up taking her to Florida for
      surgery on her hip? Oh man. I have been talking to her some about the
      surgery and trying to prepare her a bit, but I don't think she
      understands. I am not scaring her, just trying to treat her like a "big
      kid" which is not easy. She still seems like my baby. Any input would
      be appreciated.

      Thanks, Bonnie (Ellen 12, Peter 10, and Emma 4 amc)
    • TERRY2745@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
        Bonnie! HI!!
        funny you wrote in that u needed my tape, i started reading your post &
        thought 2 myself, hey I never heard back from Bonnie 2 send the tape!!!!!
        Send me your address & I'll get it sent out 2 you ok?
        (u can send it straight to my address)
        ~Theresa

      • David and Bonnie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
          What is your address again? I am so disorganized sometimes. We are out
          of checks, but should be getting them soon. If you will go ahead and
          send me the tape, I will give you 20.00 instead of 5! I am sure it will
          be worth 10 times that! Thank you so much for your help Theresa. Are
          you still on instant message? I haven't played with that for quite some
          time. I have a new computer and I don't know what has been put on this
          one. I'll give it a shot. What was your name on it?

          Bonnie

        • TERRY2745@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
            Its terry2745 :) try it, im here 4 a few more minutes!
            ~Theresa

          • Betty Hicks
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6, 2002
              Bonnie,

              No matter how old Emma is, even when she is 90 years old, she will still be your little baby. Lol

              Just do what you're doing now, letting her try to do things on her own. I remember when I was a kid, I would ask to try something on my own, my Mom would always say, No, you can't because it takes you too long. She did let me try dressing myself one morning, it was in the summer and there was no school and we were staying home that day, so that's why she let me that day. It took me about 3 hours and by the time I was done, I was so tired that I wanted to take a nap, and then I still wasn't completly dressed yet. But at least my mom did let me do it once.

              But as I got older and mostly when I moved out on my own, I was able to figure out how to put my shirt on until my arms got to weak to do it. But I can still put my coat on if I need it. Winter coats are out because I can't lift them but spring coats are good.

              I get yelled at sometimes because I don't wear a winter coat but I look at it this way, I am only going from the house to the vehicle and vice versa, I'm not out long enough to get cold and if it's really cold, I stay home.

              Betty

            • David and Bonnie
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                Thanks Betty. :) I hope Emma has the detrmination you have!

                Bonnie

              • reltectec@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
                  Bonnie, I am going to have to take a picture of the Dressing frame that we
                  made tucker he is able to put on his shirts, underware and pants. Oh course
                  the night before i have to put them on the frame and have the ready but it
                  works really well. As for the socks he had a thing that was made to help with
                  that but he prefers Thereses way where he uses his feet to pull them on.
                  tucker has chores he has to do everyday as well, he gets a dollar a week if
                  he does them. He has to clean his room, wash him self in the tub...hes he
                  even washes his own hair..at 4 years old. Heck i am going to have to make a
                  tape again and send to you of how he does things. It was cute the first time
                  i gave him a wash rag and he proped up his leg and the side of the tub and
                  said look at what i can do and washed his face.
                  i love your idea of feeding the cats i think that i will tell him i will give
                  him a raise if he wants to add that.
                  traci
                • David and Bonnie
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
                    Thanks Traci! Good idea! I would love to see pictures of Tuckers stuff!

                    Bonnie