Not good news from Russia

  • The Johnsons
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      We are not sharing this information with our families as of yet since my step dad is in the final stage of cancer and they have just about as much as they can handle. We got some bad news on Wednesday, December 15th from our lawyers in Russia.

      Apparently the Dushkos, not happy with the decision of the judge (that of waiting until the criminal case against the doctor has been settled before hearing more on our case) went and found a new judge that issue a decree to overturn our Russian adoption. This news came as a complete surprise to us as we were not aware of the second judge being involved and it appears that our Russian lawyers were not aware of that either. In the US, due process is expected...in Russia, we're not sure if this is truly accepted or not. We are trying to stay calm while our lawyers over there are trying to get this situation looked into but that will not happen until after the New Year date and probably near the middle of January.

      Masha's US citizenship is based upon her Russian adoption, so we are very concerned about that. Our readoption, too, is based upon the same documentation.

      On another note, Everett had surgery this past Monday but is recovering as predicted. This was his first hospital stay in his life so he was a bit nervous.

      Masha continues to be unaware of this situation. Please, if you have children, do not discuss this in front of them. It amazes us that after four years of this hell on earth, we've been able to keep this situation from her and we PLAN to do so as long as possible.

      Please...prayers are continued to be appreciated

      Lori

    • tjohns7147@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        Lori-
        I am sending prayers out for you and Masha. Masha has been with you four
        years? The Dushkos are her parents? I have a very good friend who was in a similar
        situation. Prayers to all.
        God Bless-
        Sharon