Re: a new mom of a 3 yr. old

  • Becci
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi everyone,
      I've been following this thread and just wanted to put in my 2 cents
      worth. I think what the Doctor may have meant was that the Central
      nervous system which is controlled by the brain is what is affected.
      In my son's case he has a decrease in anterior horn cell development
      which is the bundle of nerves that branch off the central nervous
      system to control muscle function in the arms and legs. With
      decreased horn cells you in effect have decreased movement, which in
      turn decreases muscle development. A vicious cycle. Are you with me?
      So anyhow, he has sensation, and very strong downward strength, but
      literally no grasp, no flexion at elbows. And cannot raise his arms
      very high without help. But he has great ROM, no fixed joints! He
      does have a scissor-like motion with his fingers but little
      strength. Can pick up small lightweight objects. Hope that this
      might clear up some questions about what the Dr. may have meant
      by "brain function" it has nothing to do with intelligence! My guy
      is smart as a whip!
      Becci

      --- In avenues2@yahoogroups.com, "Deena Landreneau"
      <drlandreneau@c...> wrote:
      > Amanda,
      >
      > I know it's frustrating at times. Celeste is 2 1/2 and will be
      getting a
      > walker soon. She walks as long as we hold her under her arms.
      She thinks
      > it's funny to "walk". Her therapists and teachers seem to think
      she has
      > normal intelligence (although she doesn't talk). She does
      communicate by
      > saying sounds and reaching for things that she wants. Her feet,
      knees, and
      > fingers are mainly affected. Her left pointer finger is out of
      joint. She
      > is able to pick up toys and has learned to adapt to her
      surroundings.

      > Deena

      Service.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      > ---
      >

      > ---
    • Bonnie Foxall
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 5, 2005
        This question is for Traci (tucmum)

        My computer crashed recently and I can't remember the name of the bidet
        that you had. This is the one I was going to try to get for Emma, but
        lost everything on my book mark and my doctor is willing to write a
        perscription for one and try to get it through insurance, but he wants
        the exact name and type to make sure that we get what we wanted. Can
        you help me out /again/ please???

        Thank you.

        Bonnie ----------------Alabama (Ellen 14, Peter 12, and *Emma 7 amc*)