RE: [avenues2] Jason's before and after surgery pics

  • Gion Sialm
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi Beki
      The surgery called thoracostomy was pioneered by Dr. Robert Campbell in San
      Antonio. At first it was a surgery in order to separate fused ribs. Later,
      they noticed that also different scolioses could be corrected well with this
      method. You put a special implant between the ribs and afterwards you can
      stretch them (over the years!). Well, that's what we know about it.
      By the way, thanks for the link.
      Claudia
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2004
        Then it is the same surgery.. We were told its called a VEPTR or a titanium rib. Many of the kids that get this surgery have their ribs fused due to the pressure from the curve. Jason for some reason was lucky enough to not have this happen.

        I dont know if you saw Jason's before and after pictures, but they are amazing!