Believe what you want, it doesn't mean you're right

  • Mark Chapman
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
      > From: "Scott Steele" <scottst@...>
      > Subject: Believe what you want, it doesn't mean you're right
      > > That's it, KC is dead officially for me ;-)
      > There is no accounting for taste (mine or Meidad's or anyone else's) -
      > that is a fact of life. - S.

      I'm glad you spoke up, Scott. I totally agree. I don't dispute that Meidad
      has the right to this opinion, but I've been listening to a pretty great 4/03
      Crim boot from Tokyo. It's pretty satisfying to me. I also gave someone else
      on this list a copy of a different 03/03 Crim boot. This person is a long-time
      lead supporter, afficianado, and purveyor of avant-garde/progressive music,
      and even he admitted that new Crim has its good moments.

      Well, Meidad, the King may be dead in your book. But I'll keep believing for a
      while longer (if Fripp doesn't fold the whole thing following Trey Gunn's
      departure). It just continues to "bug" me when I see negative remarks and
      reviews, because the writer has the power to turn people away from decent
      music. (But I realize that's just my own pet peeve.)

      Peace,

      ~Mark C.
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
        Mark is being kind:

        >I also gave someone else
        >on this list a copy of a different 03/03 Crim boot. This person is a
        long-time
        >lead supporter, afficianado, and purveyor of avant-garde/progressive music,
        >and even he admitted that new Crim has its good moments.

        he gave it to me. I didn't go see them when they played in DC in 2003,
        because I was utterly underwhelmed when I saw them about 8 years previously.

        The 2 shows that I heard were really good. Better than 'having good moments'.
        It was good and it was pretty much what I would hope that a 'modern' King
        Crimson would sound like, given the lineup.

        So, I agree. Don't count them out yet.

        Steve
      • Yoann
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
          I think that such a band like KC can't die, although
          sometimes they keep telling the same histories again
          and again...
          (I don't know if you'd understood me =} )
          Yoann

          > > That's it, KC is dead officially for me ;-)
          > There is no accounting for taste (mine or Meidad's
          or anyone else's) -
          > that is a fact of life. - S.

          I'm glad you spoke up, Scott. I totally agree. I don't
          dispute that Meidad
          has the right to this opinion, but I've been listening
          to a pretty great 4/03
          Crim boot from Tokyo. It's pretty satisfying to me. I
          also gave someone else
          on this list a copy of a different 03/03 Crim boot.
          This person is a long-time
          lead supporter, afficianado, and purveyor of
          avant-garde/progressive music,
          and even he admitted that new Crim has its good
          moments.

          Well, Meidad, the King may be dead in your book. But
          I'll keep believing for a
          while longer (if Fripp doesn't fold the whole thing
          following Trey Gunn's
          departure). It just continues to "bug" me when I see
          negative remarks and
          reviews, because the writer has the power to turn
          people away from decent
          music. (But I realize that's just my own pet peeve.)

          Peace,

          ~Mark C.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

          Subscribe:
          avant-progressive-subscribe@...
          Unsubscribe:
          List owner:
          avant-progressive-owner@...

          Terms of Service.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
            > There is no accounting for taste (mine or Meidad's or anyone else's) -
            > that is a fact of life. - S.

            Sure, it's not ;-)
            This is why i said FOR ME...

            Meidad

            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • jpg_24
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Feathers
              <mfeathers@m...> wrote:

              > Took a while for _Object Holder_ to grow on me, but now I love it.
              > How's _Invisible Map_?

              On the same topic, I own Almost Never, which I don't really like. I
              was under the impression that this was in fact not a good
              representation of Biota's work? Is that a fair statement? What
              should I try next.

              BTW, I put the Almost Never up sor sale on eBay, if you're
              interested. My ID is willy2412.

              Thanks,

              Jean-Pierre
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                <mfeathers@m...> wrote:

                > Took a while for _Object Holder_ to grow on me, but now I love it.
                > How's _Invisible Map_?

                Excellent but I prefer Object Holder (which is one of my all time
                favorites)

                Mike
              • Zero the Hero
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                  On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Michael Feathers wrote:
                  > Took a while for _Object Holder_ to grow on me, but now I love it.
                  > How's _Invisible Map_?

                  Almost as good.

                  --
                  Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
                  DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                    ZtH> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Michael Feathers wrote:
                    >> Took a while for _Object Holder_ to grow on me, but now I love it.
                    >> How's _Invisible Map_?

                    ZtH> Almost as good.

                    Silly question, but does it have Susanne Lewis (the most
                    underappreciated avant vocalist in the world)?
                  • Ivan Lapse
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                      Hmmm, one could perhaps say that there is more ZGA in
                      OH while IM has more AMM.

                      In the meantime, let us hope that a Mnemonist reissue
                      program commences post-haste.

                      Cheers,

                      Ivan

                      --- Pure Absurd <pure_absurd@...> wrote:
                      > I loved _Object Holder_ immediately, but _Invisible
                      > Map_ still somehow
                      > doesn't do too much for me.
                      > It sounds similar but something, I don't know what,
                      > is lacking.
                      >
                      > Vadim
                      >
                      > >From: Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...>
                      > >To: avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [avant-progressive] Biota - Invisible Map
                      > >Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:44:32 -0500
                      > >

                      > >Took a while for _Object Holder_ to grow on me, but
                      > now I love it.
                      > >How's _Invisible Map_?

                      > Tired of slow downloads and busy signals? Get a
                      > high-speed Internet
                      > connection! Comparison-shop your local high-speed
                      > providers here.
                      > https://broadband.msn.com

                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    • Austin Bunch
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 5, 2003
                        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Pure Absurd"
                        <pure_absurd@h...> wrote:
                        > I loved _Object Holder_ immediately, but _Invisible Map_ still
                        somehow
                        > doesn't do too much for me.
                        > It sounds similar but something, I don't know what, is lacking.

                        Now, I only had the album for one day before it was stolen, but
                        from the few listens I got in, the biggest difference to me was the
                        production. Object Holder is one of the more beautifully produced
                        albums I've ever heard. The production, to me at least, didn't stand
                        out on Invisible Map as it does on Object Holder.
                      • Meidad Zaharia
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                          Listen,
                          For me early KC are as high as prog can get!
                          I really love and appriciate them BUT I can't
                          really rank their new stuff near anything I heard
                          from their 70's heydays. I used to love the early 80's
                          albums BUT today I can't really hear them as I used to.

                          I begin to get tired with Fripp's guitar playing,
                          I really lost intrest in Belew's vocals and the
                          digital drums of the other two KIDS make the music
                          even colder and dead.

                          Over whole, KC are much alive compering to new
                          YES or Pink Floyd, I agree, BUT why should we
                          love them today? ONLY because their glorius days?
                          only because FRIPP is holding the guitar?
                          Can you really LOVE THEM today?
                          I can enjoy Anglagard, Anekdoten much more...

                          I can't blame you for loving it what so ever but
                          I would want to hear your opinion about this music
                          if a band from Alaska were doin it...

                          Anyway, each year I get more and more tired of the
                          *NEW* digital recordings and the new instruments
                          sounds so may be it's just my problem.

                          I just heard now Luc Ferrari's music from 1963,
                          60% is pure hiss, 39% are oscilators and 1% are
                          drop outs ;-)
                          This is my sound, this is the place for my passion.

                          Meidad (who's getting old i guess...)

                          > > > That's it, KC is dead officially for me ;-)
                          > > There is no accounting for taste (mine or Meidad's or anyone else's) -
                          > > that is a fact of life. - S.
                          >
                          > I'm glad you spoke up, Scott. I totally agree. I don't dispute that Meidad
                          > has the right to this opinion, but I've been listening to a pretty great 4/03
                          > Crim boot from Tokyo. It's pretty satisfying to me. I also gave someone else
                          > on this list a copy of a different 03/03 Crim boot. This person is a long-time
                          > lead supporter, afficianado, and purveyor of avant-garde/progressive music,
                          > and even he admitted that new Crim has its good moments.
                          >
                          > Well, Meidad, the King may be dead in your book. But I'll keep believing for a
                          > while longer (if Fripp doesn't fold the whole thing following Trey Gunn's
                          > departure). It just continues to "bug" me when I see negative remarks and
                          > reviews, because the writer has the power to turn people away from decent
                          > music. (But I realize that's just my own pet peeve.)
                          >
                          > Peace,
                          >
                          > ~Mark C.

                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        • Yoann
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                            Something I agree with : I'm tired with fripp's guitar
                            playing too. I actually don't like fripp, he doesn't
                            look nice, his guitar' sounds are boring, but I still
                            like the band, because they can create together a kind
                            of energy...
                            As reguards the electronic drums, I can't stand the
                            Rome live (the video which is on the live CD), when
                            they play old songs it's horrible!! 8\

                            ---------------------------------

                            http://photos.yahoo.com/

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                            Subscribe:
                            avant-progressive-subscribe@...
                            Unsubscribe:
                            List owner:
                            avant-progressive-owner@...

                            Terms of Service.

                          • kermandavid
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Meidad Zaharia
                              <meidad@y...> wrote:

                              > I just heard now Luc Ferrari's music from 1963,
                              > 60% is pure hiss, 39% are oscilators and 1% are
                              > drop outs ;-)
                              > This is my sound, this is the place for my passion.
                              >
                              > Meidad (who's getting old i guess...)

                              Mah Neeshma ?

                              Bekesher Luc Ferrari:

                              If you don't know it, you should check out the piece
                              "Presque Rein", especially the disk with 2 completely
                              different versions. One of them is 60% lake ambience,
                              39% human blathering and 1% startling,really loud
                              outboard boat motor. Intense stuff. Real music, but not.
                            • Michael Feathers
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                AB> Now, I only had the album for one day before it was stolen, but
                                AB> from the few listens I got in, the biggest difference to me was the
                                AB> production. Object Holder is one of the more beautifully produced
                                AB> albums I've ever heard. The production, to me at least, didn't stand
                                AB> out on Invisible Map as it does on Object Holder.

                                I've got to ask about that. Was the CD itself specifcially stolen or
                                was it in a car that was stolen or a case?

                                I suspect that most of us in this group could leave the CDs that we
                                listen to on the sidewalk and still find them sitting there days
                                later.
                              • Austin Bunch
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                  <mfeathers@m...> wrote:

                                  > AB> Now, I only had the album for one day before it was
                                  stolen, but
                                  > AB> from the few listens I got in, the biggest difference to me was
                                  the
                                  > AB> production. Object Holder is one of the more beautifully
                                  produced
                                  > AB> albums I've ever heard. The production, to me at least, didn't
                                  stand
                                  > AB> out on Invisible Map as it does on Object Holder.
                                  >
                                  > I've got to ask about that. Was the CD itself specifcially stolen
                                  or
                                  > was it in a car that was stolen or a case?
                                  >
                                  > I suspect that most of us in this group could leave the CDs that we
                                  > listen to on the sidewalk and still find them sitting there days
                                  > later.

                                  Heh, yeah, imagine my surprise when I found my cd-player sitting
                                  open in my hotel room, without the Biota disc in it, and only the
                                  empty case with /both/ inserts removed sitting next to it on the
                                  nightstand. A member of the cleaning staff in the Holiday Inn of
                                  some small town just south of Santa Barbara apparently had a
                                  real /need/ for some Biota to listen to while she made hundreds of
                                  beds. Very strange, indeed. I still haven't replaced it, five
                                  months after, partially because I'm afraid of Biota-hording cleaning
                                  ladies at budget roadside hotel chains, and partially because of the
                                  disappointment that met my initial listens. If anyone cares to send
                                  me a gratis copy, I won't refuse, but, maybe you should send two;)
                                • Michael L. Smith
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                    Meidad,

                                    Well, how can i put this, you're wrong. And i would love that
                                    band from Alaska.

                                    ==============Original message text===============

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                      >I suspect that most of us in this group could leave the CDs that we
                                      >listen to on the sidewalk and still find them sitting there days
                                      >later.

                                      saddest, yet most likely true comment I've read this week.

                                      Steve
                                    • Meidad Zaharia
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                        > Mah Neeshma ?

                                        Walla, TODA :)
                                        Ma Itcha?
                                        Ata Baharets?

                                        > Bekesher Luc Ferrari:

                                        LOL, your hebrew is getting better since the last time
                                        I met you ;-)

                                        > If you don't know it, you should check out the piece
                                        > "Presque Rein", especially the disk with 2 completely
                                        > different versions. One of them is 60% lake ambience,
                                        > 39% human blathering and 1% startling,really loud
                                        > outboard boat motor. Intense stuff. Real music, but not.

                                        Who released it? where can I find it?
                                        May be in my house, I have to check...
                                        Ferrari is among my best loved avant-composers...
                                        He worked with Pierre Schaffer, nothing can get wrong when
                                        Schaffer is around... ;-)

                                        Thanks Dave...

                                        Meidad

                                        http://photos.yahoo.com/
                                      • Meidad Zaharia
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 6, 2003
                                          Speaking of which Dave, get this recommendation:

                                          Inacu Dumitrescu - Au Dela De Movemur (1990)

                                          AMAZING piece with sounds you�ll NEVER believe are coming
                                          from JUST and ORCHESTRA...

                                          LONG LIVE EDITION MODERN!!!

                                          I don't understand why only ReR carry those CD's.

                                          Meidad

                                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                                        • kermandavid
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                            > > If you don't know it, you should check out the piece
                                            > > "Presque Rein", especially the disk with 2 completely
                                            > > different versions. One of them is 60% lake ambience,
                                            > > 39% human blathering and 1% startling,really loud
                                            > > outboard boat motor. Intense stuff. Real music, but not.
                                            >
                                            > Who released it? where can I find it?
                                            > May be in my house, I have to check...
                                            > Ferrari is among my best loved avant-composers...
                                            > He worked with Pierre Schaffer, nothing can get wrong when
                                            > Schaffer is around... ;-)
                                            >
                                            > Thanks Dave...
                                            >
                                            > Meidad

                                            My pleasure. "Presque Rein" is available from the Ina GRAM label,
                                            and it's at their website.

                                            I'm looking for the original 70's recording (80's issue) of
                                            Ferrari's "Cellule 75". The current one was produced by Zorn
                                            for the Tzadik label, and God blessim for doing it; But it
                                            doesn't hold a candle to the previous issue. This piece is
                                            one of Ferrari's more "musical" endeavors, mostly a strange
                                            confluence of piano, bongos (congas on Zorn's take)and magnetic
                                            tape. Does anyone know where to find it ?
                                          • Meidad Zaharia
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                              > I'm looking for the original 70's recording (80's issue) of
                                              > Ferrari's "Cellule 75". The current one was produced by Zorn
                                              > for the Tzadik label, and God blessim for doing it; But it
                                              > doesn't hold a candle to the previous issue. This piece is
                                              > one of Ferrari's more "musical" endeavors, mostly a strange
                                              > confluence of piano, bongos (congas on Zorn's take)and magnetic
                                              > tape. Does anyone know where to find it ?

                                              Well, I know the Tzadik reissue which contains the original recordings
                                              and I am very happy to hear he made a later version which is even
                                              better.

                                              I can recommend you Interrupteur/Tautologos 3 if you loved Cellule 75.

                                              Meidad

                                              http://photos.yahoo.com/
                                            • kermandavid
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                                <meidad@y...> wrote:
                                                > > I'm looking for the original 70's recording (80's issue) of
                                                > > Ferrari's "Cellule 75". The current one was produced by Zorn
                                                > > for the Tzadik label, and God blessim for doing it; But it
                                                > > doesn't hold a candle to the previous issue. This piece is
                                                > > one of Ferrari's more "musical" endeavors, mostly a strange
                                                > > confluence of piano, bongos (congas on Zorn's take)and magnetic
                                                > > tape. Does anyone know where to find it ?
                                                >
                                                > Well, I know the Tzadik reissue which contains the original
                                                recordings
                                                > and I am very happy to hear he made a later version which is even
                                                > better.

                                                No, you read me wrong on both accounts. The Tzadik IS
                                                a re-make, and rather recent. I'm looking for the
                                                earlier recording (I've forgotten which label it was on)
                                                which for me was far superior. IIRC, there was some silly
                                                cover-art of 3 guys, some percussion, jungle foliage and
                                                a red sports car (Ferrari ?). Haven't seen/heard it it
                                                over 15 years, so my memory could be a tad off on the cover.

                                                DK
                                              • lasciviakuci
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Feathers

                                                  > I suspect that most of us in this group could leave the CDs that we
                                                  > listen to on the sidewalk and still find them sitting there days
                                                  > later.

                                                  At the radio station where I used to do a show, a thief specifically
                                                  targeted our avantprog vinyl. One day I came in to discover all of
                                                  the Amon Düül II, Aphrodite's Child, and Magma LPs stolen. Oddly, the
                                                  thief left the Can and Soft Machine LPs behind.

                                                  Darren
                                                • rcarlberg@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                                    In a message dated 12/7/2003 2:00:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                    harmonia@... writes:

                                                    > At the radio station where I used to do a show, a thief specifically
                                                    > targeted our avantprog vinyl. One day I came in to discover all of
                                                    > the Amon Düül II, Aphrodite's Child, and Magma LPs stolen. Oddly, the
                                                    > thief left the Can and Soft Machine LPs behind.

                                                    Not a thief probably. Programming Director. :^)

                                                  • thomas Overstreet
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                                      or the cute little blonde receptionist who got stuck
                                                      listening to it all day over in speaker system.

                                                      Thom

                                                      --- rcarlberg@... wrote:
                                                      > Standard Time,
                                                      > harmonia@... writes:
                                                      >

                                                      > > At the radio station where I used to do a show, a
                                                      > thief specifically
                                                      > > targeted our avantprog vinyl. One day I came in
                                                      > to discover all of
                                                      > > the Amon D��l II, Aphrodite's Child, and Magma LPs
                                                      > stolen. Oddly, the
                                                      > > thief left the Can and Soft Machine LPs behind.
                                                      > >

                                                      > Not a thief probably. Programming Director. :^)

                                                      > removed]

                                                      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                                                    • mkbox0
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Dec 7, 2003
                                                        --- "lasciviakuci" wrote:

                                                        > At the radio station where I used to do a show, a thief specifically
                                                        > targeted our avantprog vinyl. One day I came in to discover all of
                                                        > the Amon Düül II, Aphrodite's Child, and Magma LPs stolen. Oddly,
                                                        > the thief left the Can and Soft Machine LPs behind.

                                                        i already had those.