Begnagrad - Begnagrad (Koncert For a Broken Dance)

  • thomas Overstreet
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2003
      When I heard this was being reissued, after I made a
      request for more info about them on another list, I
      promised the owner of the label that I would review it
      once I finally got it. For information about the group
      you can checkout Gibratar but what I want to tell you
      about is this wonderful music that I've discover
      actually via this group. Many of you know me VIA my
      RIO Chains and once again yes this is RIO, but
      definitely off the wall RIO. First let me say that
      after more than 30 years of listening to music that
      most of the time got the reaction of "what the hell is
      that, it sounds weird" and that was from friends. I
      still don't have a real basics for telling you what
      kind of music this really is so I'm going to try and
      draw some connections and hopefully you'll come to a
      positive conclusion.

      To begin with the line up is Accordion, Clarinet/Sax,
      Bass, Guitar, Drums, Percussion and assorted weird
      vocals. If these guys are playing there is a party
      going on, they're from Yugoslavia and to these ears
      their music is based on slovic, polka, klemic (jewish)
      roots. the closest I can come to other groups is Samla
      Mammas Manna crossed with Alamaailman Vasarat with a
      Soft Machine attitude. The Clarinet/Sax player is the
      focal point of the group and he is wonderful fun. The
      Bass player is world class with a very up front style.
      The Accordion player who I understand is the leader of
      the group is also the glue that holds it all together,
      a fun wacky personality. The guitarist is in the
      background adding little touches but on one of the
      tracks plays some excellent acoustic guitar, wonderful
      touch. the Drummer and the Percussionist are right
      there the whole time through this mixed up party music
      giving it all that solid back beat.
      To top it all off there are a couple of live tracks
      added to the end of the disc and it's a multi media
      disc with 20 minutes of video that you can watch on
      you computer (Apple or PC) or you can really be part
      of the party. So if you have an open mind about music
      and a fun spirit this is the CD for you. You can get
      it through Wayside here in the States or through MIO
      Records (www.miorecords.com) over on the mainland.
      My only complaint - the title. I would have suggested
      "There's A Party Going On And It's Right Here"

      Thom

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree