Stravinsky

  • Michael Bohn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2000
      Science Group: a mere coincidence
      I have allways waited for a "rock" band to play/use rythm parts from "Le
      sacre du printemps".
      They do on the Science Group tune: Scale Invarians.
      Fine album by the way.

      Michael Bohn
    • Italik Kommandoh
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003
        >The Magma influence that surprisingly doesn`t get mentioned much is
        >Stravinsky`s "Les Noces". Vander 'borrowed' SO much from Stravinsky it`s
        >practically plagiarism.
        >"Wurdah Itah" in particular, is mostly lifted outright from Stravinsky.

        Just kidding. Stravinsky stolen tunes and rhythms from east european
        traditional folklore.
        the same way did Smetana, Bartok, ... and so on. And Vander is from Poland.
      • Zero the Hero
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003
          On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Italik Kommandoh wrote:
          > And Vander is from Poland.

          Huh? Since when?

          --
          Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
          DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003

            > >The Magma influence that surprisingly doesn`t get mentioned much is
            > >Stravinsky`s "Les Noces". Vander 'borrowed' SO much from Stravinsky it`s
            > >practically plagiarism.
            > >"Wurdah Itah" in particular, is mostly lifted outright from Stravinsky.

            I disagree... It's almost ALWAYS mentioned, everywhere. Even Vander would be
            bored to listen to this again - at least if you can say this in french :-)

            Best,
            Marcelo
          • giorgio gomelsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003
              His mother, Irene, is Polish. His assumed father, Maurice Vander,
              is a very respected French jazz pianist, although Christian often
              mumbled about a German black marketeer who at one point was close
              to his mother. Irene was one of the most beautiful women in Paris
              jazz circles. She was the best friend of one Nicole Barclay, owner
              of the Club St.Germain, perhaps the foremost post-WWII modern
              jazz club in Paris for some years. Nicole and her did all they
              could to make visiting US musicians feel welcome in France. Some
              of them, BTW, settled there, as Pierre was saying.

              Christian never felt very "French". Notice, he's a Pisces, so
              somewhat influenced by the sign's "cosmic-messianic" proclivities...

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003
                On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, giorgio gomelsky wrote:
                > His mother, Irene, is Polish. His assumed father, Maurice Vander,
                > is a very respected French jazz pianist, although Christian often
                > mumbled about a German black marketeer who at one point was close
                > to his mother. Irene was one of the most beautiful women in Paris
                > jazz circles. She was the best friend of one Nicole Barclay, owner
                > of the Club St.Germain, perhaps the foremost post-WWII modern
                > jazz club in Paris for some years. Nicole and her did all they
                > could to make visiting US musicians feel welcome in France. Some
                > of them, BTW, settled there, as Pierre was saying.

                Thanks for the info. I never knew all that.

                > Christian never felt very "French". Notice, he's a Pisces, so
                > somewhat influenced by the sign's "cosmic-messianic" proclivities...

                Sounds fishy to me :-)

                --
                Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
                DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
              • Alex Temple
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 29, 2003
                  --- Italik Kommandoh <italikkommandoh@...> wrote:

                  > Just kidding. Stravinsky stolen tunes and rhythms from east
                  > european
                  > traditional folklore.
                  > the same way did Smetana, Bartok, ... and so on. And Vander
                  > is from Poland.

                  And yet Wurdah Itah sounds MUCH more like Les Noces than either
                  of them sound like Eastern European folk tunes. (Just like the
                  Round Dance from the Firebird Suite sounds much more like
                  Debussy than it does like the folk tunes it quotes...)

                  =====
                  Alex Temple
                  fiber_optiq@...
                  Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.