Re: [avant-progressive] Re:Fusion - jazz-rock

  • Michael Bohn
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2000
      > wasn't there some sort of headhunters reunion a few years ago?
      > anybody know what that was like?

      I think so too - but it was without Herbie as I recall it.

      My favorite Herbie album is Crossings, "experimental jazz" (hate that
      phrase, experimental indicates that the dont know the outcome) with
      funkelements.
      I did'nt like the headhunters album either, so simple (and therefore
      maybe brillant) that it starts irritating me in a few seconds. Manchild
      and especially Thrust are more elaborate and there for more
      "challenging".

      Michael Bohn

    • Elysia A
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2000
        "wasn't there some sort of headhunters reunion a few years ago?
        anybody know what that was like?"

        Yes, something like that. In 1998 they released Return of the Headhunters,
        which I eagerly anticipated. This review says it all.

        "After a two-decade-long hiatus, Herbie Hancock's Headhunters returned to
        action in 1998 with their funk groove pretty much intact, allowing for some
        technological and stylistic updating. The core of the band -- the
        too-long-neglected Bennie Maupin (saxes, bass clarinet), Paul Jackson
        (bass), Bill Summers (percussion), and the group's second drummer Mike Clark
        -- still has the complex funk telepathic interplay down pat, though
        occasionally the rhythms are simplified for contemporary audiences. Hancock
        himself only appears on four out of ten tracks."

        For an all together unforgetable evening over the Labor Day weekend Aug. 31
        - Sept. 3,2000, I have early warning news that the David Murray Octet will
        be playing at the Chicago Jazz Festival on Friday the same evening as Herbie
        Hancock!

        Kind Regards,
        Elisabeth

      • Julius J. SAROKA
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2000
          From: Elysia A <eadams21@...>

          >> "wasn't there some sort of headhunters reunion a few years ago?
          >> anybody know what that was like?"
          >>

          > Yes, something like that. In 1998 they released Return of the Headhunters,
          > which I eagerly anticipated. This review says it all.
          > snip<

          well, actually the review didn't "say it all" to me. was it _good_?

          - --
          thank you for your time and attention.

          Julius J. SAROKA
          drj_saro@...