Satoko Fujii

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
      On his blog http://www.borella.net/mike/blog/, Mike Borella mentions
      Satoko Fujii. I think I heard something by her once on (hard to
      believe) some video documentary on jazz. It was mainly her on piano,
      maybe a bassist. I'm going on the assumption that she was the one I
      heard. Anyone have an recommendations? I know she does big band but
      small ensemble?
    • mark jung
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
        i saw fujii with tatsuya yoshida (who's touring with samla now) at
        victoriaville last year in a duet (drums and piano) that blew me away (that
        set is out on victo records now).
        here's what was recommended to me when i asked last year:

        SATOKO FUJII April Shower (Ewe)
        SATOKO FUJII TRIO Junction (Ewe)
        SATOKO FUJII Indication (Libra)
        SATOKO FUJII QUARTET Vulcan (Libra)
        SATOKO FUJII ORCHESTRA Double Take (Ewe)

        start with "vulcan", it's incredible. the other disks are anything from solo
        piano to pieces with orchestra; "vulcan" is most like what we're talking
        about on this list, but they're ALL fantastic. there's probably another five
        or six i haven't heard yet.
        the victo release is great, too, but they cut out yoshida's great "zipper
        concerto" (a short improvisation with his coat zipper).

        mark

        >On his blog http://www.borella.net/mike/blog/, Mike Borella mentions
        >Satoko Fujii. I think I heard something by her once on (hard to
        >believe) some video documentary on jazz. It was mainly her on piano,
        >maybe a bassist. I'm going on the assumption that she was the one I
        >heard. Anyone have an recommendations? I know she does big band but
        >small ensemble?

      • François Couture
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
          Mark Jung wrote:

          > i saw fujii with tatsuya yoshida (who's touring with samla now) at
          > victoriaville last year in a duet

          <snip>

          > start with "vulcan", it's incredible.

          <snip>

          Mark, I was there too and it was indeed incredible. One my highlights from
          the 2002 edition. Hey, drop me a mail if you come to Victoriaville next
          year, I'm always there.

          I just wanted to mention, since you recommend Vulcan (and you're damn right
          to do so) that Satoko's quartet with Tatsuya Yoshida has released a second
          album titled Minerva. It came out on Satoko's Japanese imprint Libra Records
          (same as Vulcan) and also on the UK-based Voiceprint. If you like Vulcan,
          you'll definitely like this one too.

          Her recordings with her large ensembles are also pretty mean. Double Take (a
          2-CD set) may be a bit much for an introduction (and the price tag is quite
          a turn off) but there's a new one just out on ewe. Haven't listened to it
          yet, but expect a review on the All-Music Guide in a couple weeks.

          Best,

          Francois Couture
          Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
          Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

          Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
          Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
        • Michael Feathers
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
            mj> i saw fujii with tatsuya yoshida (who's touring with samla now) at
            mj> victoriaville last year in a duet (drums and piano) that blew me away (that
            mj> set is out on victo records now).
            mj> here's what was recommended to me when i asked last year:

            mj> SATOKO FUJII April Shower (Ewe)
            mj> SATOKO FUJII TRIO Junction (Ewe)
            mj> SATOKO FUJII Indication (Libra)
            mj> SATOKO FUJII QUARTET Vulcan (Libra)
            mj> SATOKO FUJII ORCHESTRA Double Take (Ewe)

            mj> start with "vulcan", it's incredible. the other disks are anything from solo
            mj> piano to pieces with orchestra; "vulcan" is most like what we're talking
            mj> about on this list, but they're ALL fantastic. there's probably another five
            mj> or six i haven't heard yet.
            mj> the victo release is great, too, but they cut out yoshida's great "zipper
            mj> concerto" (a short improvisation with his coat zipper).

            Great! Thanks, Mark.
          • François Couture
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 1, 2003
              Hi all,

              Earlier today I wrote:

              > Her recordings with her large ensembles are also pretty mean. Double Take (a
              > 2-CD set) may be a bit much for an introduction (and the price tag is quite
              > a turn off) but there's a new one just out on ewe. Haven't listened to it
              > yet

              Well, now I have. And it is one hell of an album. It is titled "Before the
              Dawn", released on Libra (I wrote ewe in my previous email, sorry), and
              billed to the Satoko Fujii Orchestra East (she also occasionally gather a
              "western" big band in New York).

              To the handful of us on this list who manifested themselves as followers of
              this marvelous pianist, simply consider that Satoko has taken her
              recently-found love for progressive rock (in Chris Cutler's definition,
              genre-pushing) and injected it into her already quite warped big band
              writing. I'll stop here 'cause I'd be rehearsing my AMG review (I've already
              deleted to lines from my email that read way too much like my reviews).

              And among the albums I've seen mentioned by other listers, there was a title
              missing: did anyone listen to Hada Hada by her husband Natsuki Tamura? Came
              out a few months ago on Libra. She plays synthesizer instead of piano. If
              you thought her quartet albums were wild, this one is downright mad, drums
              booming like it were a doom metal band (Tatsuya Yoshida in the producer's
              chair) and Tamura's trumpet using more effects than Jimi Hendrix's guitar.

              If anyone's interested to foray into her quiet side -- she is known first
              and foremost as a jazz pianist -- check out April Shower, a beautiful set of
              duets with violinist Mark Feldman.

              Good night y'all,

              Francois Couture
              Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
              Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

              Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
              Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
            • wooyd71
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                Just to add in my 2 cents, late as usual.

                I've now heard 4 Fujii albums and they are all pretty great. I'm
                listening to The Future of the Past right now and its pretty amazing
                stuff.

                Highly recommended.

                Mike
              • Michael Feathers
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                  I just got Vulcan.. very good!
                • François Couture
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 4, 2003
                    > From: Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...>
                    > Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:54:39 -0500
                    > To: wooyd71 <avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [avant-progressive] Re: Satoko Fujii
                    >

                    > I just got Vulcan.. very good!

                    I'm very glad to see that we'll have spread the word on Satoko to this list.
                    Because of her erly albums she's still mostly perceived as a somewhat smooth
                    avant-garde jazz pianist, the pupil of Paul Bley (and she was for a while).
                    But her music of late kicks some serious a**!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                      I have one CD by her, but I just found this and I have to say that it is
                      pretty incredible stuff. Anyone else who's heard of her have any favorites?

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydL32yHJE3A
                    • Mark Jung
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                        Saw her at Victo a few years ago w/ Tatsuya Yoshida, I think it was,
                        and they really blew the joint away. Picked up "Vulcan" at the show
                        and tends to be the one I return to most - must have been around the
                        time that album was released, Yoshida's on it too.

                        "Vulcan" is probably the least indicative (more "rock") of what she
                        does, at least what I've heard - she's got a bunch of releases out
                        (more than 20, I'm guessing) ranging from piano solos, improvisations,
                        to scored work for duets to big ensembles.

                        All Music's got more details, and thanks for bringing her up - this'll
                        make finishing the porch woodwork much more interesting over the
                        weekend.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 19, 2009
                          Mark Jung wrote:

                          > Saw her at Victo a few years ago w/ Tatsuya Yoshida, I think it was,
                          > and they really blew the joint away. Picked up "Vulcan" at the show
                          > and tends to be the one I return to most - must have been around the
                          > time that album was released, Yoshida's on it too.
                          >
                          > "Vulcan" is probably the least indicative (more "rock") of what she
                          > does, at least what I've heard - she's got a bunch of releases out
                          > (more than 20, I'm guessing) ranging from piano solos, improvisations,
                          > to scored work for duets to big ensembles.
                          >
                          > All Music's got more details, and thanks for bringing her up - this'll
                          > make finishing the porch woodwork much more interesting over the
                          > weekend.
                          >
                          > On Jun 19, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Michael Feathers wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have one CD by her, but I just found this and I have to say that
                          > > it is
                          > > pretty incredible stuff. Anyone else who's heard of her have any
                          > > favorites?
                          > >
                          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydL32yHJE3A
                          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydL32yHJE3A>

                          Mark,

                          Vulcan is the one CD of hers I have, and weirdly enough I don't like it
                          as much as I thought I would. It has a rock feel, but for some reason
                          the bass irritates me. It seems way too studied and mannered for the
                          aggression of the rest of the ensemble.

                          I've just put the CD that the clip is from (Erans) on order. If you
                          have any other recommendations, I'd love to here them. I also get a
                          real kick out of this clip, which is a bit "squonkier."

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv1Uti-r4E&feature=related

                          Michael (I really have to find a way to see her live some time)
                        • Richard Poulin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 28, 2009
                            Zephyros has long been the #1 favorite of mine. But I recently discovered 'Jo' and I must say it is just as compelling and original as 'Zephyros'. Two real monster avant jazz albums by a genuineely inspired creator.

                            Richard
                            I have one CD by her, but I just found this and I have to say that it is
                            pretty incredible stuff. Anyone else who's heard of her have any favorites?

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydL32yHJE3A

                          • Peter de Boer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 29, 2009
                              Got a spare copy of Satoko Fujji - Jo for trade.
                              Mail me off-list when interested.

                              cheers,
                              Peter