Re: albums I wish were on CD/my wish list

  • CuneiWay@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
      Peter T. wrote:

      >>BEDFUL OF METAPHYSICIANS - same
      Wow! somebody REMEMBERS this?
      TWO PEOPLE remember this?
      Anyway, no, they never did anything else.
      They were [or at least the main guy, Charlie & the saxist Mike Schwarz were
      friends of Dave Newhouse's [Muffins] from a zillion years back.

      They made that one record & I don't know what happend to them.

      >>PFS - Illustrative Problems
      Cuneiform's rights have long ago expired, & I don't have the ability to do
      this, but the tapes & films are archived for any enterprising label that
      wants 'em! I'm having to let more & more Cuneiform's go out of print as they
      sell through because I can't afford to repress something that sells maybe 30
      copies a year [or less], but it sorta breaks my heart everytime...

      >>MANEIGE - Maneige & Les Porches
      mais oui!!

      SECRET OYSTER - all of 'em
      I just own "Straight To The Krakenhaus", & I pull it out every few years & am
      pretty amazed at how reasonably well it stands up after all this time.

      Mike E. wrote:
      >>I can only think of one right now...and it's a
      >>pretty obscure one, but I'm sure Steve will remember.It's got Peter
      >>Hollinger on drums and it is called something like "Mau Mau".

      The group was Uludag, & the record was indeed called "Mau Mau". Yes, it's a
      great record.

      My list of wanted items on CD [I'm leaving off items already mentioned by
      other folks that I'd love to see as well]:
      Art Zoyd 3 - Symphonie... [original version of their 1st album]
      Bengt Berger's Bitter Funeral Beer Band - s/t [on ECM]
      Serge Bringolf/Strave - 1st [double album]
      Roberto Cacciapaglia -Sei Note In Logica & Sonanze [would make a great 2-on-1]
      Cheer Accident - Sever Roots, Tree Dies
      Combo FH - Things
      Curlew - North America [MAYBE coming someday]
      Als phone # & called 4 times leaving messages about getting the rights to
      reissue this - never returned my calls!]
      Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath - Brotherhood [2nd album - have NEVER
      heard it!!]
      The Orthotonics - Luminous Bipeds
      Harry Partch - The World Of [Sony - & the only item not yet reissued, & maybe
      the BEST!]
      Pataphonie - Le Matin Blanc [Musea has promised a reissue of this for a
      couple of years. Let's hope....]
      Potemkine - Triton [GREAT & fairly original Zeuhl lp]
      Terje Rypdal - I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ECM RELEASE "ROLLING STONE", which they
      STUPIDLY LEFT OFF the reissue of "Odyssey" ["We must make this a single CD" -
      "ok, let's leave off the BEST track" - "yes, good idea" - "and let's NOT tack
      it onto any of our reissues of Terje's OTHER single albums which we are
      turning into CDs" - "yes, let's NOT, that would be too smart"...]

      And probably a billion others that I can't think of without running to look
      at my albums, which I don't want to do right now....

      Steve
    • Michael Eisenberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
        Hey all...

        CuneiWay@... wrote:

        > My list of wanted items on CD [I'm leaving off items already mentioned by
        > other folks that I'd love to see as well]:
        >
        > Cheer Accident - Sever Roots, Tree Dies

        God yes!!! i'm on friendly terms with this band, we should put the idea in their
        head :)

        > Combo FH - Things

        Fantastic. One of my favorite records from Eastern Europe.

        > Curlew - North America [MAYBE coming someday]
        > Als phone # & called 4 times leaving messages about getting the rights to
        > reissue this - never returned my calls!]

        I have this on cd...On Moers Music. Didnt even realize it wasnt available
        anymore.

        > The Orthotonics - Luminous Bipeds

        Great record...in the vein of Rattlemouth...didnt they share some band members?
        Rebby Sharp maybe?

        I got this off another list...and i'm massively jealous...I would kill to see
        this show!!

        "On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of Cxechoslovakia's Velvet
        Revolution, the Embassies of the Czech Republic and teh Slovak Rebuplic
        present a gala concert with:

        IVA BITOVA in her only North American performance this year, together with
        SKAMPA QUARTET and MARIAN VARGA."

        Sunday, Nov 14, 6pm - Lisner Auditorium

        I find it somewhat amusing that I will be in the Czech Republic during her
        only US appearance <sigh>. Anyway, this is a not to be missed concert.
        Iva is totally brilliant, and when I saw her a year and a half ago
        (5/16/98) the crowd in the small club sat in total amazed silence while she
        pulled an unexpected variety of sounds from her violin while simultaneously
        rhythmically singing along. Not to forget the performance art aspects of
        the show where she built whole songs around noises from toys.

        Anyone who see's this...I would love to hear a review of it

        Michael

        --
        Outr� Music
        Music Beyond Boundaries
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
          >Harry Partch - The World Of [Sony - & the only item not yet reissued, & maybe
          >the BEST!]

          Not sure what WORLD OF contains, but Innova just released DELUSION OF THE FURY
          (my favorite Partch) last month, and claims to have completed the Partch canon
          by doing so.

          They've also been selling a videotape of Madeleine Tourtelot's film of DELUSION
          for quite a while. It's way cool.

          I'd like to see the entire Random Radar catalog on CD, of course, but especially
          Mars Everywhere and the Balloons for the Dog single. Mars Everywhere's guest
          drummer went on to fame and fortune with Boiled In Lead,. so maybe there's a
          buck to be made there. Or not.
        • The Lighthouse Keeper
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
            At 11:53 AM 10/31/99 -0600, you wrote:
            >"On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of Cxechoslovakia's Velvet
            >Revolution, the Embassies of the Czech Republic and teh Slovak Rebuplic
            >present a gala concert with:
            >
            >IVA BITOVA in her only North American performance this year, together with
            >SKAMPA QUARTET and MARIAN VARGA."
            >
            >Sunday, Nov 14, 6pm - Lisner Auditorium
            >
            >I find it somewhat amusing that I will be in the Czech Republic during her
            >only US appearance <sigh>. Anyway, this is a not to be missed concert.
            >Iva is totally brilliant, and when I saw her a year and a half ago
            >(5/16/98) the crowd in the small club sat in total amazed silence while she
            >pulled an unexpected variety of sounds from her violin while simultaneously
            >rhythmically singing along. Not to forget the performance art aspects of
            >the show where she built whole songs around noises from toys.
            >
            >Anyone who see's this...I would love to hear a review of it

            I caught her in Berserkeley a couple years ago, must have been the same
            tour. It's amazing what she can do all by herself with violin and voice and
            foot stomping and kazoos and whatever else - and no other players!

            Peter Thelen "Exploring The Boundaries of Rock"
            Expos�
            ptlk@...
            http://www.expose.org
          • mark jung
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 1999
              mike said:

              >IVA BITOVA in her only North American performance this year, together with
              >SKAMPA QUARTET and MARIAN VARGA." Sunday, Nov 14, 6pm - Lisner Auditorium

              and where, exactly, is Lisner Auditorium? it's only two weeks away, and if i
              start walking now...

              mark
            • Michael Eisenberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
                Hey all...

                mark jung wrote:

                > From: "mark jung" <markvj@...>
                >
                > mike said:
                >
                > >IVA BITOVA in her only North American performance this year, together with
                > >SKAMPA QUARTET and MARIAN VARGA." Sunday, Nov 14, 6pm - Lisner Auditorium
                >
                > and where, exactly, is Lisner Auditorium? it's only two weeks away, and if i
                > start walking now...
                >
                > mark

                Dont know...I think it's in the DC area...anyone else. All I do know is that
                it aint in chicago..:(

                Michael

                --
                Outr� Music