choral music?

  • mark jung
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
      hey folks,

      (damned hotmail account's been bouncing all my yahoogroups subscriptions
      this week...)
      i'm looking for some contemporary choral music, preferably with childrens'
      voices. anybody got some recommendations? r. carlberg's recommended
      taverner, nyman, Benjamin Britten - the Ceremony of Carols, and panufnik.
      cast your suggestions this-here way,

      mark

    • Michael Bohn
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
        Electric Phoenix - English 4 piece choir mixing voices and electronics
        (80'ties), sings Berio, Cage and other stuff.

        David Hykes if one is in the meditative mood.

        mark jung wrote:

        > hey folks,
        >
        > (damned hotmail account's been bouncing all my yahoogroups subscriptions
        > this week...)
        > i'm looking for some contemporary choral music, preferably with childrens'
        > voices. anybody got some recommendations? r. carlberg's recommended
        > taverner, nyman, Benjamin Britten - the Ceremony of Carols, and panufnik.
        > cast your suggestions this-here way,
        >
        > mark

        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Alex Temple
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
          Messiaen's _Trois Petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine_!!!
          It's not all that contemporary, but it's 20th century and it's
          about the best piece ever. And I'm pretty sure it uses boy
          sopranos. (He was Catholic, after all.....)

          --- mark jung <markvj@...> wrote:
          > hey folks,
          >
          > (damned hotmail account's been bouncing all my yahoogroups
          > subscriptions
          > this week...)
          > i'm looking for some contemporary choral music, preferably
          > with childrens'
          > voices. anybody got some recommendations? r. carlberg's
          > recommended
          > taverner, nyman, Benjamin Britten - the Ceremony of Carols,
          > and panufnik.
          > cast your suggestions this-here way,
          >
          > mark

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          =====
          Alex Temple
          fiber_optiq@...
          Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
            In a message dated 2/28/2003 10:03:42 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            fiber_optiq@... writes:

            > And I'm pretty sure it uses boy
            > sopranos. (He was Catholic, after all.....)

            Mmmmmm, castrati..... (Hey! Where did that come from???)

          • Dominique Leone <d_leone@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
              --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Alex Temple
              <fiber_optiq@y...> wrote:
              > Messiaen's _Trois Petites Liturgies de la Presence Divine_!!!
              > It's not all that contemporary, but it's 20th century and it's
              > about the best piece ever. And I'm pretty sure it uses boy
              > sopranos. (He was Catholic, after all.....)

              This piece is incredible, though it is written for female sopranos.
              Also try some of Ligeti's pieces for choir (Lux Aeterna, Nonsense
              Madrigals), Robert Crumb's "Star Child" (discussed here recently),
              Stockhausen's "Stimmung" and "Carre", and how about some Igor
              Wakhevitch?

              Dominique
            • mark jung
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                one day in february, dominique was believed to have written

                >This piece is incredible, though it is written for female sopranos.
                >Also try some of Ligeti's pieces for choir (Lux Aeterna, Nonsense
                >Madrigals), Robert Crumb's "Star Child" (discussed here recently),
                >Stockhausen's "Stimmung" and "Carre", and how about some Igor
                >Wakhevitch?

                that's interesting. which wakhevitch? i have the red box o' reissues sitting
                on my desk at home, but the stuff hasn't aged well for me so i'm not that
                familiar with them...

              • rcarlberg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                  In a message dated 2/28/2003 12:48:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  markvj@... writes:

                  Methinks you need to look for an opera in Kobaian -- or Klingon. If there's
                  a difference.

                • mkbox0 <box0@aol.com>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                    if you put a seashell to your ear
                    you can hear coral music

                    if ya waits long enuff,
                    you may even hear some swordfish trombone
                  • Dominique Leone <d_leone@hotmail.com>
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 28, 2003
                      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "mark jung" <markvj@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > that's interesting. which wakhevitch? i have the red box o'
                      reissues sitting
                      > on my desk at home, but the stuff hasn't aged well for me so i'm
                      not that
                      > familiar with them...

                      In that box are Logos and Docteur Faust, both of which feature some
                      nifty choral singing; harrowing even. I've actually heard the choral
                      stuff on those records compared to Messiaen's stuff. But Wakhevitch
                      used voice on almost all of his records, though spoken word more than
                      big choirs. He did an opera with Salvador Dali called Etre Dieu,
                      which has tons of spoken word, and some pretty OK orchestral stuff as
                      well.

                      Dominique