Re: stormy six / fiori

  • Italik Kommandoh
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 10 5:46 AM
      > Message: 4
      >Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:17:04 +0100 (CET)
      >From: Mario <mario111be@...>
      >Subject: Re: Sv: Re: Strormy Six
      >Hi Alex.
      >As far as the SS lyrics are concerned, until Umberto Fiori joined the SS,
      the lyrics (written I believe by Franco Fabbri) were pretty straightforward,
      rather political, and attempting to reflect facts and thinking of the
      ongoing political movement. When Umberto joined he brought a totally
      different style. He contributed a part of the lyrics of "Un biglietto", and
      from then on he wrote all the lyrics to all the songs until the end.
      It may be of interest to notice that since SS disbanded, Umberto has become
      one of the most respected Italian poets, and anthologies of his poems have
      been translated into several languages (English included, >published in
      Ireland). His style is witty, complex, drawing from everyday life popular
      culture (on >"L'apprendista" there are songs about the experience of
      military service, of being on a strike march ....), >and in terms of
      songwriting has been evolving throughout the subsequent SS albums.
      >Mario

      *I disagree. in italy nobody knows Umberto Fiori as poet. He is totally
      unknown and you cannot find his books in the book shops. Fiori said "non
      sono stato seguito dal pubblico degli SS". As singer he was one of the
      most boring singers in story of music. He was always out of tune. A day he
      was called by the band News from Babel for a recording session. He sung so
      bad that he was soon replaced by a real singer. Art Zoyd and U. Zero did not
      like S.Six music, and Roger Trigaux told me "Stormy Six? Mauvaise, mauvaise,
      mauvaise".
    • StoOdin101@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 10 6:23 AM
        In a message dated 2/10/2003 9:05:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        italikkommandoh@... writes:

        > Art Zoyd and U. Zero did not
        > like S.Six music, and Roger Trigaux told me "Stormy Six? Mauvaise,
        > mauvaise,
        > mauvaise".

        It's interesting to me that Trigaux felt this way, since I _like_ Fiori's
        untrained folk vocals and am constantly carping about Trigaux's untrained
        anti-folk vocals. Give me "Sulla sua strada gelata la croce uncinata lo sa
        D'ora in poi trovera' Stalingrado in ogni citta'"
        over
        "I build an Eden out of Lucifer's ovens"
        any time...

      • moraes@unb.br
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 10 7:10 AM
          Hi all,
          Well, if all the RIO bands really liked the music of each other we would see:

          1st - more collaboration between them
          2nd - the continuity of RIO movement

          Renato

          Citando StoOdin101@...:

          > In a message dated 2/10/2003 9:05:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          > italikkommandoh@... writes:
          >
          > > Art Zoyd and U. Zero did not
          > > like S.Six music, and Roger Trigaux told me "Stormy Six? Mauvaise,
          > > mauvaise, mauvaise".
          > >

          > It's interesting to me that Trigaux felt this way,

          Mail enviado através do WebMail/UnB
          CPD - Centro de Informática
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10 7:21 AM
            Renato wrote:

            > Well, if all the RIO bands really liked the music of each other we would
            >see:
            > 1st - more collaboration between them
            > 2nd - the continuity of RIO movement

            Renato is right on both counts.

            Since I have worked with many/most of these folks, I can not tell the stories
            I know, but believe me, many of these bands did not like each others work
            particularly...

            Steve
          • alebonn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 10 9:07 AM
              Dans un e-mail daté du 10/02/03 16:24:47 Paris, Madrid, CuneiWay@... a
              écrit :

              > I can not tell the stories I know, but believe me, many of these bands did
              > not like each others work particularly...

              With MUCH less experience than Steve I can only confirm this,
              unfortunately.....
              The links between the various sides of avant-prog is us, right here, and
              certainly not the musicians themselves. Too bad but that is....

              Alain

            • Meidad Zaharia
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 10 9:10 AM
                > With MUCH less experience than Steve I can only confirm this,
                > unfortunately.....
                > The links between the various sides of avant-prog is us, right here, and
                > certainly not the musicians themselves. Too bad but that is....

                Would you define this as "ENVY"?

                Meidad

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 10 9:22 AM
                  Meidad,

                  > Would you define this as "ENVY"?

                  No envy at all I think, just too many certitudes of what is good.....

                  Alain

                • Meidad Zaharia
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 10 9:34 AM
                    The fact as i see it is that WE choose to put them all in the RIO directory
                    while they did what they felt is good for them and not really good to get into
                    the RIO term.

                    What is common between lets say Samla and Henry Cow? Decibel and Etron Fou?
                    Nothing IMO, I just think that Mr.Cutler loved those bands and so he grouped
                    them under his (Personal) group named RIO and so the tradition goes on.

                    I don't think that PDP musicians could fit into Stormy Six and feel "at home"
                    there.

                    Meidad

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 10 9:40 AM
                      I am not sure how much Mr. Cutler even 'loved' those bands. I think he was
                      interested and / or intrigued and / or they helped him to make a point that
                      he wanted to make. Otherwise, why have the ridiculous requirement of one band
                      per country (there weren't TWO worthy bands from France? - sure, but it
                      didn't make as good 'copy' as FIVE BANDS: FIVE COUNTRIES.

                      And don't forget that the idea of R.I.O. was at least as much Nick Hobbs'
                      idea, as Chris'. Maybe more.

                      Steve

                      >What is common between lets say Samla and Henry Cow? Decibel and Etron
                      >Fou?
                      >Nothing IMO, I just think that Mr.Cutler loved those bands and so he grouped
                      >them under his (Personal) group named RIO and so the tradition goes on.
                      >
                      >I don't think that PDP musicians could fit into Stormy Six and feel "at
                      >home"
                      >there.
                    • Meidad Zaharia
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 10 9:48 AM
                        I see your point but listening to bands so called "RIO" I allways
                        try to compare to other known RIO bands and most of the times
                        I fail to compare.

                        Meidad

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 10 10:00 AM
                          Meidad

                          Isn't what you are saying below another way of saying what *I* said? I think it is!
                          They joined this movement in an attempt to find some possibilities for shows or record sales, NOT because they felt great solidarity with each others' music; the ones who felt solidarity (such as UZ and AZ or Fred Frith and Etron Fou) worked together. Most of the others did not...

                          Steve

                          >I see your point but listening to bands so called "RIO" I allways
                          >try to compare to other known RIO bands and most of the times
                          >I fail to compare.
                          >
                          >Meidad
                          >
                          >--- CuneiWay@... wrote:
                          >> I am not sure how much Mr. Cutler even 'loved' those bands. I think he was
                          >> interested and / or intrigued and / or they helped him to make a point that
                          >> he wanted to make. Otherwise, why have the ridiculous requirement of one band
                          >> per country (there weren't TWO worthy bands from France? - sure, but it
                          >> didn't make as good 'copy' as FIVE BANDS: FIVE COUNTRIES.
                          >>
                          >> And don't forget that the idea of R.I.O. was at least as much Nick Hobbs'
                          >> idea, as Chris'. Maybe more.
                          >>
                          >> Steve
                          >>
                          >> >What is common between lets say Samla and Henry Cow? Decibel and Etron
                          >> >Fou?
                          >> >Nothing IMO, I just think that Mr.Cutler loved those bands and so he grouped
                          >> >them under his (Personal) group named RIO and so the tradition goes on.
                          >> >
                          >> >I don't think that PDP musicians could fit into Stormy Six and feel "at
                          >> >home"
                          >> >there.

                          >Shortcut URL to this page:

                        • Meidad Zaharia
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 10 10:07 AM
                            yes it is, the "but" was refering to the other people who think otherwise :)

                            Meidad

                            --- CuneiWay@... wrote:
                            > Meidad
                            >
                            > Isn't what you are saying below another way of saying what *I* said? I think it is!
                            > They joined this movement in an attempt to find some possibilities for shows or record sales,
                            > NOT because they felt great solidarity with each others' music; the ones who felt solidarity
                            > (such as UZ and AZ or Fred Frith and Etron Fou) worked together. Most of the others did not...
                            >

                            > Steve
                            >

                            > >I see your point but listening to bands so called "RIO" I allways
                            > >try to compare to other known RIO bands and most of the times
                            > >I fail to compare.
                            > >
                            > >Meidad
                            > >
                            > >--- CuneiWay@... wrote:
                            > >> I am not sure how much Mr. Cutler even 'loved' those bands. I think he was
                            > >> interested and / or intrigued and / or they helped him to make a point that
                            > >> he wanted to make. Otherwise, why have the ridiculous requirement of one band
                            > >> per country (there weren't TWO worthy bands from France? - sure, but it
                            > >> didn't make as good 'copy' as FIVE BANDS: FIVE COUNTRIES.
                            > >>
                            > >> And don't forget that the idea of R.I.O. was at least as much Nick Hobbs'
                            > >> idea, as Chris'. Maybe more.
                            > >>
                            > >> Steve

                            > >Shortcut URL to this page:

                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                          • Alex Temple
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10 10:21 AM
                              --- Italik Kommandoh <italikkommandoh@...> wrote:
                              > As singer he was one of the
                              > most boring singers in story of music.

                              Well, /I/ like his voice.

                              > Roger Trigaux told me "Stormy Six? Mauvaise, mauvaise,
                              > mauvaise".

                              Was this before or after _Macchina_?

                              =====
                              Alex Temple
                              fiber_optiq@...
                              Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • Alex Temple
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 10 10:35 AM
                                --- Meidad Zaharia <meidad@...> wrote:
                                > What is common between lets say Samla and Henry Cow? Decibel
                                > and Etron Fou?
                                > Nothing IMO,

                                Oh Jesus, do we have to go through this debate AGAIN?

                                Let me just say that those of us who are intimately familiar
                                with these bands' work know them well enough to hear major
                                differences, but the similarities are obvious to people
                                approaching the genre for the first time. Case in point: I
                                think of avant-prog and "regular" prog as being worlds apart,
                                but I played Henry Cow's "Living in the Heart of the Beast" for
                                some modern-classical-oriented friends of mine and one of them
                                said it sounded like Pink Floyd!

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 10 10:47 AM
                                  In a message dated 2/10/2003 10:37:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  fiber_optiq@... writes:

                                  > Oh Jesus, do we have to go through this debate AGAIN?

                                  Let's hope not. :^)

                                • Meidad Zaharia
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 28 10:59 AM
                                    Steven,

                                    If it is possible and not too late, please add to my order:

                                    OW/One Way 4543 634
                                    Artist: Creme, Lol/Kevin Godley
                                    Title: Consequences
                                    Price: $17.00