DECAYES

  • alebonn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 1:54 AM
      I just listened to the LPs of a band I had not given ear to, since the late
      80's, The DECAYES. I started with their "Accidental Musik" lp.
      It's from 1979 and is a really WEIRD mix of early electronics, Zappa-esque
      humor, RIO and more...There's even a mellotron giving a somewhat prog feel
      on a few tracks. At the end of side 2, you hear someone shout " LARD FREE ",
      so you imagine which musical territories they were in. The sound is a bit
      primitive but that adds a nice flavour to the music.

      I was surprised that after such a long time I still DO enjoy MUCH their LPs.
      Those weird US aliens had produced a total of 5 LPs:
      - Ich bin ein Spiegelei ( 1978 ) which is more raga oriented ( Popol Vuh ? )
      - Accidental Musik ( 1979 )
      - Not yet ( 1980 ) My fav., completely crazy melodies ( even catchy ! ),
      WEIRD !!
      - HorNetZ ( 1982 ) In the same vein, a bit wiser probably
      - Ten guitars ( 1983 ) the most produced one but still weird and Zappa-esque.

      Does anyone know if anything else exists or if solo works appeared afterwards
      ?
      I was in contact with DECAYES' Ron KANE around 1984 and last time I heard of
      him, he was moving from LA to NEW ZEALAND.

      Alain LEBON
    • Eric Lumbleau
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 12:35 AM
[...]

        Hey Alain, I'm impressed! Didn't know you were such
        a studied obscurantist :^) The Decayes are part of
        an astonishing and largely forgotten trajectory of
        marginal fringe freakiness from the early to mid 80's
        L.A. scene (a scene whose aesthetic remains a
        cornerstone of both my own and my band Vas Deferens
        Organization's aesthetic)that seems to have
        come to fruition under the combined influences of
        R.I.O., Beefheart and the Ralph Records roster of
        artists. There's a intangable but nontheless
        immediately peggable vibe to this lineage of music (a
        lineage that continues on through Steaming Coils, The
        Freshly Wrapped Candies and The Department Store
        Santas to name but a few) that once experienced is
        hard to reconcile with their all but forgotten status.
        Hermetic, insular and wildly idiosyncratic, this
        stuff is just screaming for a widescale re-appraisal
        (yeah, right...and pigs will fly...)
        It's pretty amazing that you've got all of the Decayes'
        albums considering that they were pressed in editions
        of 100 to 200 copies way back in the day. I've got
        all but the 10 Guitars album (odd since this is the
        only one with a reasonable sized pressing-500 copies).
        Of these, Hornetz is, for me, far and away the standout,
        though all but Ich Bin Ein Speigelei (their very
        primitive though still kinda charming 100 copy debut)
        are pretty awe-inspiring. I'm sorta surprised that you
        find Not Yet! to be the best of the lot since, in some
        ways it can be seen as the least obviously progressive,
        seemingly taking more cues on this outing from the
        mutant electronic no-wave geniuses Nervous Gender
        (speaking of brilliant and forgotten groups...there's
        a prime candidate for ya...). Ron Kane posted some
        pertinent info a while back to the NWW@onelist
        community about his work in the Decayes. If your
        interested in reading it, I'll dig it out, scan it and
        send it to ya Alain...
        Eric L.

        FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...