Re: [avant-progressive] A little OT: but Ligeti?

  • Ted Forbes
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 12 9:58 AM
      on 12/12/02 10:51 AM, dtohir@... at dtohir@... wrote:

      > Everything else by Ligeti is worth a listen!

      Agreed. Its hard to go wrong. I had a copy of a harpsichord piece called
      "Hungarian Rock" or something. Brilliant. It was a 12 bar blues based thing,
      but done my Ligeti so you can imagine how wild that is...

      .
    • Michael Feathers
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 12 10:10 AM
        Hello Ted,

        TF> on 12/12/02 10:51 AM, dtohir@... at dtohir@... wrote:

        >> Everything else by Ligeti is worth a listen!

        TF> Agreed. Its hard to go wrong. I had a copy of a harpsichord piece called
        TF> "Hungarian Rock" or something. Brilliant. It was a 12 bar blues based thing,
        TF> but done my Ligeti so you can imagine how wild that is...

        Interesting you should mention that one, I heard a sample on Amazon
        yesterday and it doesn't sound like Dad's classical music :-)

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000029P2/
      • Caleb T. Deupree
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 12 5:12 PM
          At 11:51 AM 12/12/02 EST, dtohir@... wrote:

          >> I just picked up a disc of piano etudes by Gyorgy Ligeti. I heard a
          >> sample and they sounded rather complex and gamelan-ish. Anyone know
          >> of anything else worth a listen to by Ligeti? I'd love to get ahold
          >> of some of the stuff closer to the 2001 soundtrack realm.

          >Everything else by Ligeti is worth a listen!
          >You can pick up the very piece used in 2001, it's called Requiem.

          According to allclassical.com, there were two Ligeti works in 2001: a
          choral work for 16 voices, Lux Aeterna; and a work for orchestra,
          Atmospheres. Most of Ligeti's work that I know (doesn't include anything
          recent) sounds more like Lux Aeterna. The piano etudes were a real
          surprise to me when I first heard them this year. I thought they sounded
          very different from everything else by Ligeti I'd ever heard.
          --

          Caleb Deupree
          cdeupree@...
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 12 5:46 PM
            --- Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:

            > I just picked up a disc of piano etudes by Gyorgy Ligeti. I
            > heard a
            > sample and they sounded rather complex and gamelan-ish.
            > Anyone know
            > of anything else worth a listen to by Ligeti? I'd love to get
            > ahold
            > of some of the stuff closer to the 2001 soundtrack realm.

            Much of Ligeti's 60s work is in the "micropolyphony" style of
            the pieces used in 2001. Try:
            - Atmosph�res
            - Requiem
            - Volumina
            - Ramifications
            - Lontano

            His later stuff is more like the piano etudes. I would
            recommend two CDs in particular:
            - The Ligeti Project I on Teldec (w/ Melodien, Piano Concerto,
            Chamber Concerto, trumpet version of Mysteries of the Macabre)
            - Ligeti Edition 4 on Sony Classical (w/ Nonsense Madrigals,
            Aventures, Nouvelles Aventures, some early songs, and soprano
            version of Mysteries of the Macabre).

            The latter is particularly wacky: the "Aventures" pieces are
            vocal pieces with no normal singing, but lots of shouting,
            grunting, shrieking, laughing, etc. Almost a realization of
            Futurist music! The Nonsense Madrigals are some of his best
            work ever, with a strong Renaissance influence and reminding me
            a bit of Gentle Giant at times (!).

            As for the former disc... not easy to describe, just excellent,
            lucid performances of excellent, complex chamber music full of
            wonderful polyrhythms. The Piano Concerto is particularly good
            -- it was written right after the first book of Etudes, and is
            very similar to them, only larger in scope and perhaps even better.

            =====
            Alex Temple
            fiber_optiq@...
            Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Zero the Hero
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 12 8:25 PM
              On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Caleb T. Deupree wrote:
              > At 11:51 AM 12/12/02 EST, dtohir@... wrote:
              > >You can pick up the very piece used in 2001, it's called Requiem.
              >
              > According to allclassical.com, there were two Ligeti works in 2001: a
              > choral work for 16 voices, Lux Aeterna; and a work for orchestra,
              > Atmospheres.

              Then allclassical.com has it wrong. Those 2 pieces plus the 'Kyrie'
              from the Requiem were used in the film.

              The rest of the Requiem is killer. You should hear it.

              --
              Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
              DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 12 8:38 PM
                Hi Michael -

                on 12/12/02 12:10 PM, Michael Feathers at mfeathers@... wrote:

                > Interesting you should mention that one, I heard a sample on Amazon
                > yesterday and it doesn't sound like Dad's classical music :-)

                That link you sent is the disc I've got that I was talking about. I
                recommend it - its great!!! In fact - that whole series on Sony that Alex
                mentions (that is a part of it) is well worth the dough. It was hard to find
                his stuff before that series was done.

                I was on a huge kick in college where I listened to a ton of 60's era
                Ligeti, Pendereki, Xenakis, Stockhausen, and the like.

                You want to hear something that's REALLY not your dad's classical music -
                check out the recording of Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet. Post Modern/
                Post Dadaism at its finest.

                Ted

                .
              • Ted Forbes
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12 8:40 PM
                  on 12/12/02 7:46 PM, Alex Temple at fiber_optiq@... wrote:

                  > The Nonsense Madrigals are some of his best
                  > work ever, with a strong Renaissance influence and reminding me
                  > a bit of Gentle Giant at times (!).

                  But you don't like Univers Zero because they sound too much like Bartok?!?

                  Just ribbin' you Alex...

                  .
                • StoOdin101@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 13 2:22 AM
                    In a message dated 12/12/2002 11:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    ted@... writes:

                    > You want to hear something that's REALLY not your dad's classical music -
                    > check out the recording of Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet. Post Modern/
                    > Post Dadaism at its finest.

                    Good stuff, and it's cheap, too! Well, as long as you don't buy it from the
                    Stockhausen-Verlag... But for Intro To Stockhausen 101, I recommend the ECM
                    recording of MICHAEL'S REISE, which sounds like Sun Ra and the Arkestra
                    playing Tangerine Dream circa ALPHA CENTAURI.

                    "The isms of today are the schisms of tomorrow."

                  • Michael Feathers
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 13 7:59 AM
                      AT> --- Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I just picked up a disc of piano etudes by Gyorgy Ligeti. I
                      >> heard a
                      >> sample and they sounded rather complex and gamelan-ish.
                      >> Anyone know
                      >> of anything else worth a listen to by Ligeti? I'd love to get
                      >> ahold
                      >> of some of the stuff closer to the 2001 soundtrack realm.

                      AT> Much of Ligeti's 60s work is in the "micropolyphony" style of
                      AT> the pieces used in 2001. Try:
                      AT> - Atmospheres
                      AT> - Requiem
                      AT> - Volumina
                      AT> - Ramifications
                      AT> - Lontano

                      Alex, any recommendations for particular CDs containing those works?
                      I notice I could get The Ligeti Project Volume 2, which has Lontano,
                      Atmospheres, Apparitions, and SF Polyphony. Not quite sure where to
                      get a good 'Requiem.'

                      Thanks,
                      Michael
                    • Alex Temple
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 13 9:31 AM
                        --- Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:

                        > AT> Much of Ligeti's 60s work is in the "micropolyphony" style
                        > AT> of the pieces used in 2001. Try:
                        > AT> - Atmospheres
                        > AT> - Requiem
                        > AT> - Volumina
                        > AT> - Ramifications
                        > AT> - Lontano
                        >
                        > Alex, any recommendations for particular CDs containing those
                        > works?
                        > I notice I could get The Ligeti Project Volume 2, which has
                        > Lontano,
                        > Atmospheres, Apparitions, and SF Polyphony. Not quite sure
                        > where to
                        > get a good 'Requiem.'

                        I don't really know -- I'm much more into 80s and later Ligeti,
                        so I don't own much of this stuff. I do have "Volumina" on an
                        interesting CD on Wergo, which also contains (among other
                        things) two really nice minimalist-ish organ studies, a cool
                        harpsichord piece called Continuum in which he creates the
                        illusion of polyrhythm in one voice, and a wonderful tape piece
                        called Artikulation that sounds like a big Rube Goldberg
                        Machine.

                        However, I'd go with The Ligeti Project II, just cause the first
                        one was so awesome. Those performers are unbelievable.

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 13 9:32 AM
                          --- Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...> wrote:

                          > Alex, any recommendations for particular CDs containing those
                          > works?
                          > I notice I could get The Ligeti Project Volume 2, which has
                          > Lontano,
                          > Atmospheres, Apparitions, and SF Polyphony. Not quite sure
                          > where to
                          > get a good 'Requiem.'

                          Oh, and "Apparitions" is in the same vein as the pieces I
                          mentioned. I knew I was forgetting a big one.

                          =====

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 13 10:17 AM
                            On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Michael Feathers wrote:
                            > Alex, any recommendations for particular CDs containing those works?
                            > I notice I could get The Ligeti Project Volume 2, which has Lontano,
                            > Atmospheres, Apparitions, and SF Polyphony. Not quite sure where to
                            > get a good 'Requiem.'

                            I'm not Alex, but I can recommend a Requiem (coupled with Aventures and
                            Nouvelle Aventures) on the Wergo label. It's a bit expensive, but worth
                            it. It's the only one I have, so that's why I recommend it :-)

                            Hmm, Berkshire just might have it used (www.broinc.com). Try them.

                            --
                          • Kara W. <karawilliamson@earthlink.net>
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 14 8:19 AM

                              > --
                              > Jason Ellerbee - jeller@u...
                              > DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html

                              Zero the Hero!

                              It's nice that Dreams Wide Awake will be streaming again! I have
                              missed your show. Welcome back!

                            • wooyd71 <wooyd71@yahoo.com>
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 14 12:25 PM
                                --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Zero the Hero <jeller@u...>
                                wrote:
                                > On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Michael Feathers wrote:
                                > > Alex, any recommendations for particular CDs containing those
                                works?
                                > > I notice I could get The Ligeti Project Volume 2, which has
                                Lontano,
                                > > Atmospheres, Apparitions, and SF Polyphony. Not quite sure
                                where to
                                > > get a good 'Requiem.'
                                >
                                > I'm not Alex, but I can recommend a Requiem (coupled with Aventures
                                and
                                > Nouvelle Aventures) on the Wergo label. It's a bit expensive, but
                                worth
                                > it. It's the only one I have, so that's why I recommend it :-)
                                >
                                > Hmm, Berkshire just might have it used (www.broinc.com). Try them.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Jason Ellerbee - jeller@u...
                                > DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show -
                                http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html

                                You really can't go wrong with Ligeti, but start with the Ligeti
                                Project CDs. II is especially great. They are relatively cheap and
                                easy to find.

                                Mike
                              • Michael Feathers
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 5, 2003
                                  Thanks to everyone for the Ligeti recommendations. So far, I've been
                                  able to get Atmospheres, Apparations, Volumina, and Aventures on CD.
                                  The Aventures stuff was particular interesting.

                                  I was wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of _Ligeti Western_.
                                  I'd like to hear a version of Lux Aeterna scored for pedal steel,
                                  dulcimer, and four jaw harps.

                                  Thanks.
                                • kermandavid <dkerman@address.com>
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 6, 2003
                                    --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Feathers
                                    <mfeathers@o...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks to everyone for the Ligeti recommendations. So far, I've
                                    been
                                    > able to get Atmospheres, Apparations, Volumina, and Aventures on CD.
                                    > The Aventures stuff was particular interesting.

                                    I've been away a while, so forgive me (please) if I
                                    repeat a recommendation, but:

                                    Even better than "Aventures" is "Nouvelle Aventures".
                                    The singers are instructed in the score to expectorate
                                    thru their bullhorns. Also the percussionist is implored
                                    to don goggles whilst dropping china plates into a large,
                                    metal trash-can. As well the gong "hit" is replaced by
                                    a hanging rug struck with a carpet-beater. The whole
                                    thing is hysterical.

                                    My other fave is the "Funeral Macabre", which has quite
                                    the opposite intention. There is an "argument" between
                                    two vocalists which could well be the scariest moment
                                    yet in modern, classical music, and the beginning is a
                                    dissonant barrage of old-time, bulb-squeezed car horns.
                                    (U-Totem used to..um, IMBIBE, and then sit thru the
                                    whole dbl. disk together. No further comment)

                                    The greatest thing about these pieces is the score.
                                    Usually the instructions to the orchestra are about as
                                    many pages as the notations themselves. Reader and non-
                                    readers of music are both equally entertained. The man
                                    is a genius.

                                    Dave K.