Re: [avant-progressive] Digest Number 929

  • CRAIG
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      >No Secrets' _Kleinzeit_cd

      Can you discuss them a little further? <I`m curious>

      Kleinzeit is the band, yes?

    • mkbox0
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In avant-progressive@y..., CRAIG <vdorje@e...> wrote:
        > >No Secrets' _Kleinzeit_cd
        >
        > Can you discuss them a little further? <I`m curious>
        >
        > Kleinzeit is the band, yes?

        no. No Secrets In The Family is the band, Kleinzeit is the CD.

        a little further, eh? um, playful/fun type RIO/proggresive, i'd call
        it. like the best RIO, plenty of odd little melodies to pop into mind
        & keep you humming along during yer grocery shopping, walking the
        mutt, or what have you routine...
        like i said, it's based on the surrealist novel by Russell Hoban
        (also OOP, btw), so's plenty of word play with the lyrics too, & all
        finely delivered (& some great gargeling, ala Fitter Stoke). maybe
        three different voices to sing the story (no narrative) of hero
        Kleinzeit's in hospital fever dream....

        speaking of which, maybe an instrument breakdown would better than a
        mental one by me at this point...

        vocals (m&f), keys, accordion, melodica, guitars, banjo, basses,
        violin, robiphones, drums, flutes, recorder, sax's, trombone, piccolo-
        trumpet...

        if you find it, take a chance. i did. :)
      • Caleb T. Deupree
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
          At 09:39 PM 12/3/02 -0000, mkbox0 wrote:

          >speaking of which, maybe an instrument breakdown would better than a
          >mental one by me at this point...

          >vocals (m&f), keys, accordion, melodica, guitars, banjo, basses,
          >violin, robiphones, drums, flutes, recorder, sax's, trombone, piccolo-
          >trumpet...

          >if you find it, take a chance. i did. :)

          I'll second this recommendation, but point that the number of members in
          the band is fairly small, which gives a very intimate feel. It reminds me
          of show tunes in a way. The singing is remarkable (and I usually only
          listen to instrumental), each word clearly enunciated and understandable
          without any trace of Swiss accent. Even in the many sections of quartet
          vocals, the mix is crystal clear.

          It does share some characteristics of Marcoeur's music for me as well. I
          listened to Sports et Percussions today, and the rhythmic character they
          share is what defines RIO for me.

          NP: Kleinzeit -- great discussion to get album out again!
          --

          Caleb Deupree
          cdeupree@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
            --- In avant-progressive@y..., "Caleb T. Deupree" <cdeupree@e...>
            wrote:

            > I'll second this recommendation,

            hey Caleb, glad to hear someone else enjoys this record!

            >The singing is remarkable (and I usually only listen to
            instrumental), each word clearly enunciated and understandable
            without any trace of Swiss accent

            yes "But irregularity makes me suspicious" and "without any trace of
            Swiss accent" does smack contrary to the heart of the original RIO
            code, does it not? ;-)

            btw, ReR still has all the No Secrets CD's listed as available.
            and most intriguing is this bit of fo in a bio for artist Peter
            Panyoczki :

            "1994 makes a video for the Jazz Performance Kleinzeit with No
            Secrets in the Family"

            wow, would like to see it.

            ~now for your listening pleasure~
            chapter XX - Short High
            from Russell Hoban's Kleinzeit:

            The world is mine, sang Kleinzeit. Sister loves me and the
            world is mine.
            Cobblers, said Hospital. Nothing is yours, mate. Even
            you aren't yours. You least of all are yours. Listen.
            Tantara, said the distant horn. coming closer, love.
            Wham! A to B with fireworks and shooting lights. Hoo hoo,
            called a black hairy voice offstage.
            See what i mean? said Hospital.
            That was a short high, said Kleinzeit.