Re: [avant-progressive] Picchio dal Pozzo

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 5, 2002
      d'oh!

      Since the time that they told me about the site and I looked at it and now,
      they've done a little work to it, but now there doesn't seem to be a photo!

      Steve
    • lasciviakuci
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2002
        --- In avant-progressive@y..., CuneiWay@a... wrote:

        > Since the time that they told me about the site and I looked at it
        > and now, they've done a little work to it, but now there doesn't
        > seem to be a photo!

        There was a photo when I entered the site, but there weren't any
        human beings pictured, just an empty studio which also looked
        under construction.

        Darren
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 30, 2004
          >> So, is "Woodpecker of the Well" accurate?

          YES. That's what the band told us and that's what's in the one sheet/bio we
          made for Cammere/Zimmer/Rooms

          Steve
        • lasciviakuci
          Message 4 of 20 , May 5, 2004
            --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, CuneiWay@a... wrote:

            > >> So, is "Woodpecker of the Well" accurate?
            >
            > YES. That's what the band told us and that's what's in the one
            > sheet/bio we made for Cammere/Zimmer/Rooms

            I'm guessing then that they stole this whole page from the CD liner notes:

            http://www.soundohm.com/picchiodalpozzobio.htm

            Does anyone have plans to reissue "Abbiamo Tutti i Suoi Problemi" again?

            Also, I saw on eBay a mention that the Japanese mini-LP issue of their
            first album was "remastered". How does the sound compare to the
            normal CD reissue?

            --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Pierre Tassone wrote:

            > Nato means "born" in Italian, which gives you the title: I'm born
            > free! And which is perfectly outlined by the cover. If you can see
            > the LP cover, it is a wonderful one - like a booklet where every
            > page is figuring that you open .... a gate!

            Thanks, Pierre! Now I feel dumb: I should have figured that out
            based on latinate roots of English words (e.g. prenatal, innate).

            Darren
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 8, 2004
              Hi

              > Has anybody here heard the new PdP yet?

              Renato and Aymeric have.
              Maybe they'll comment

              > Also, is "Abbiamo Tutti I Suoi Problemi" liable to stay out-of-print?
              > Is it in the same boat as "Four Visions" in having too many copies
              > sold to make it worthwhile to reissue again?

              No, very very few were made.
              The problem seems to be with getting the rights. I explored it a little bit,
              but didn't get anywhere.

            • Renato Moraes
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                Hi,
                I commented it here while ago. Unfortunatelly it is not interesting as the other 3 recordings. Too much experimental and nothing from the PdP that we know. It is not even possible to recognize Demtrios's voice there.
                Renato

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Renato Moraes wrote:

                  > I commented it here while ago. Unfortunatelly it is not interesting
                  > as the other 3 recordings. Too much experimental and nothing from
                  > the PdP that we know. It is not even possible to recognize
                  > Demtrios's voice there.

                  Thanks for the note. I just went back and read the old posts (from
                  you and Marcello), but it's not clear to me why people don't like the
                  album other than it doesn't sound like the old PdP.

                  Darren
                • Michael Feathers
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                    So, how is this release? I have _Plan Ahead_ and I like it, but the
                    one thing I really really like on it is the track 'Driving by
                    Candelabrum'. Anything on this other release that stands out like that?
                  • Alexandre Siufy
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                      On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:51:38 -0400, Michael Feathers
                      <mfeathers@...> wrote:

                      > So, how is this release? I have _Plan Ahead_ and I like it, but the
                      > one thing I really really like on it is the track 'Driving by
                      > Candelabrum'. Anything on this other release that stands out like that?

                      It's excellent. I can't recall the track names, as I got familiar with
                      the material from that album seeing them play it live, but there are
                      at least 2 or 3 gems in that album.
                      If you liked "Plan Ahead", that one is a no brainer, get it.

                      cheers,
                      Alex.
                    • StoOdin101@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                        In a message dated 9/14/2004 8:56:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        mfeathers@... writes:
                        So, how is this release?
                        .
                        .
                        .
                        ROWBOATS is the only thing I've ever heard by them, and basically I found it
                        to reveal a Birdsongs-sort of group, but IMHO not as interesting or as fun as
                        Birdsongs. (The pun in the title is good, though!) They're ok -- I'm not
                        going to throw anathema on them like I have certain other bands -- but they didn't
                        dazzle me either. I play it every so often, but rarely play it completely
                        through. Two or three tracks are sufficient...
                        Maybe if they'd throw a little Zeuhl into the mix.

                        np: Guapo - Five Suns. Tonight's 5 cd mix is: Guapo - Five Suns, Runaway
                        Totem - Andromeda, Eskaton - 4 Visions, Archaia - s/t, Koenjihyakkei 2.

                        "Living here in Jersey fighting villains from afar/You gotta find first gear
                        in your giant robot car....
                        You! dig! giant robots!
                        I! dig! giant robots!
                        We! dig! giant robots!
                        Chicks! dig! giant robots!
                        Nice!"

                      • noonegothurt@gravityroom.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                          Quoting Michael Feathers <mfeathers@...>:

                          > So, how is this release?   I have _Plan Ahead_ and I like it, but the
                          > one thing I really really like on it is the track 'Driving by

                          We Are the Rowboats is quite good, but its a little different than Plan Ahead.

                          More guitar mainly and a strange cover of the Sabre Dance, but there are a few
                          really good standout tracks. If Driving By Candelabrum is your favorite track,
                          you'll probably dig it. There are some sampler tracks floating about... I was
                          introduced to this album from one of the Cuneiform samplers...

                          Good album, worth the purchase. I think Plan Ahead is still my favorite though.
                          I love the Heebee Geebee Song!

                        • Sjef Öllers
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 14, 2004
                            > We Are the Rowboats is quite good, but its a little different than Plan Ahead.
                            > More guitar mainly and a strange cover of the Sabre Dance, but there are a few
                            > really good standout tracks.

                            Yes agreed, and it seemed that they use more standard rock rhythms on their 2nd and 3rd.

                            > If Driving By Candelabrum is your favorite track,
                            > you'll probably dig it.

                            Mmmmm, I would not completely agree that. Yes, for the fact that it is a rather straightforward track rhytmically. No, because the excitement of that track (for me) lies in its gentleness, slow layered evolvement and restrained climax. The sound on their subsequent albums is edgier and more angular, but rockier at the same time. In many ways the opposite of Driving By Candelabrum. Birrdsongs of the Mesozoic is indeed a good comparison for the music on those later albums.

                            > Good album, worth the purchase. I think Plan Ahead is still my favorite though.

                            For me too, it is their most varied, lively and exciting album. I thought that the other two had a relatively more dry and subdued sound, maybe even a bit academic. Nevertheless, all Krakatoa albums are well worth owning.
                            Sjef

                          • Michael Prete
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 15, 2004
                              Well, I'm quite possibly their biggest fan, so take this as you will ;)

                              I would easily recommend this to anyone who liked any of their previous work. They've moved away from the more chamber-ish sound to a more rock based sound, but it hasn't affected their unique approach to composition. If you liked their other works, this isn't that far removed from what they've done before.

                              > Nevertheless, all Krakatoa albums are well worth owning.

                              And I completely agree with Sjef :)

                              Mike
                              So, how is this release? I have _Plan Ahead_ and I like it, but the
                              one thing I really really like on it is the track 'Driving by
                              Candelabrum'. Anything on this other release that stands out like that?

                              Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            • generationsensfutut
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 15, 2004
                                Hi again, i never sad it's a bad album, i just said it's not the album
                                pdp fans expect, just this, totally different sound...
                                and too electronics, too newagesh let's say ... offfffff i enjoy when
                                i play it especially when i go to bed, makes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
                                lol

                                Valerio

                                --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "lasciviakuci" <harmonia@k.

                              • otomstreet@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 7, 2006
                                  Well the newly remastered version of Picchio dal Pozzo's "abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi" came yesterday and of course once again I now have it playing. For those PdP fans who never got the chance to get the original CD release of their second album this is a wonderful second chance. While not the masterpiece their first album was it is still a wonderful piece of Canterbury influenced Italian prog with that Zappa touch to make it fun. If you haven't checked this group out do yyourself a big favor and pick up their first self titled and this one together to save on the shipping.

                                  I got mine from Wayside and it came with a sampler of Cuneiform's latest releases. I'm not usually a sampler kind of guy but something made me put it in the old iMac and while listening to it this morning once again I fell in love with a new group, The Mircoscopic Septet. Part of the New York Downtown scene for a dozen or so years, Cuneiform has release 2 - 2 CD sets including their 4 albums and lots of extra goodies. I've already ordered myself the first set and will probably order the second set before the weekend it over. Hot fun jazz that puts you right in the club tearing up the dance floor. God I love making these little discoveries.

                                  Thom