Re: [avant-progressive] Digest Number 875

  • badmonky@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
      > Love it love it-your description of "more
      > english"
      > sums me up as well (without the beer)

      I'm currently living in the states, so I that helps highlight some of the
      traits that get taken for granted back in blighty.
      :)

      > Yeah Love the first ELP (but not much
      > after)-yer right about the bass. Try and pick
      > up the "Isle of Wight" live-very raw and loose.

      1st side of Tarkus just 'shreds' to use a metal term. Thats their peak as far
      as i;ve heard.

      > PIL- 1st, Metal Box and flowers are all
      > essential in my collection.

      A friend of mine lent me a bunch of Coil CDs. Apparently they were/are big
      magma fans and so he became greatly curious about vander and co.
      Coil, for those unfamiliar with them are a eclectic duo who;ve been making
      various odd albums for 20 years or so (somewhere in industrial/experimental).
      Big cult following and occult interest. Funny that the flagship band of this
      list is a big influence on them, when most their fans would be ignorant of the
      history of zheul.

      Also, I have a mp3 of the one side of the tape of This Heat mentioned, and I
      thought it was rather good - improvised, but well done. Definitely musicians
      that know what they are doing. It has slighty spooky "old tape deck in some
      weird old
      house somewhere" vibe.

      Didn;t fripp have some guitar school or something? (in the states?)

      I dipped through a book about it once, someone who went there.

      Jamie

      > The Plastic Box 4cd set remastered some of this
      > to great effect and even the latter stuff
      > sounded ok

    • Michael L. Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        > Didn;t fripp have some guitar school or something? (in the states?)
        > I dipped through a book about it once, someone who went there.

        I believe Fripp has lived in the U.S. for extended periods on two
        occasions: 1) in the late 70's/early 80's he lived in New York City
        and produced several albums (his own, Peter Gabriel, Darryl Hall,
        The Roches, played with Blondie etc.) and reformed King Crimson
        (i believe Fripp and Adrian Belew met at a David Bowie show in NYC);
        2) the above mentioned guitar school in West Virginia in the late 80's.

        I'm pretty sure his first time in the states was the first King
        Crimson tour there (late 69 or early 70?).

        Mike
      • Michael Bohn
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
          Fripp's Guitarschool: http://www.seattlecircle.com/circles/gc.htm

          His sister Patricia's business: http://www.fripp.com/

          Fripp's diary randomly picked : http://www.disciplineglobalmobile.com/diary/

          Michael Bohn

          "Michael L. Smith" wrote:

          > > Didn;t fripp have some guitar school or something? (in the states?)
          > > I dipped through a book about it once, someone who went there.
          >
          > I believe Fripp has lived in the U.S. for extended periods on two
          > occasions: 1) in the late 70's/early 80's he lived in New York City
          > and produced several albums (his own, Peter Gabriel, Darryl Hall,
          > The Roches, played with Blondie etc.) and reformed King Crimson
          > (i believe Fripp and Adrian Belew met at a David Bowie show in NYC);
          > 2) the above mentioned guitar school in West Virginia in the late 80's.
          >
          > I'm pretty sure his first time in the states was the first King
          > Crimson tour there (late 69 or early 70?).
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > Community email addresses:
          > Post message: avant-progressive@...
          > Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...
          >
          > Shortcut URL to this page:

        • mkbox0
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
            RF's sister is a motivational speaker who has also produced an audio
            tape series of interviews with her famous bro.

            i stumbled onto her site a while back.. a bizarrishly frippazoid
            environment, it took a few moments to figure what exactly the hell
            was going on there

            http://www.fripp.com/

            -mark k