Re: [avant-progressive] Digest Number 874

  • badmonky@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      > You're absolutely right ! Robert Fripp (born
      > in Dorset, I think...)
      > could not be more English !!!

      "more English?"...you mean.... dour, uptight, with a propensity for imbibing
      too much beer in musty pubs and a general air of intellectual
      passive-aggressive superiority (despite all the 'sorrys'), interspersed with
      childish outbursts of toilet humour and swear words?

      ;-)

      ...better add self-deprecating 'humour' to that list as well...

      Is Adrian Belew quintisentially 'american' in the KC context then?
      His guitar playing is certainly less uptight
      ;-)

      Picked up ELP first album for a couple of bucks.

      I think greg lake is a very underated bassist - his fuzz riffing on the first
      track is just great, what an opener. Also one of the few bassists at the time
      to leave the treble freqs intact on his instrument.

      Also, I don't here Public Image Limited mentioned much here, but they seem
      very avant-prog (at least their early stuff) I;ve been listened to flowers of
      romance and its very fresh and progressive to this day.

      Jamie
    • phildb
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
        Love it love it-your description of "more english"
        sums me up as well (without the beer)

        Yeah Love the first ELP (but not much after)-yer right about the bass. Try and pick up the "Isle of Wight" live-very raw and loose.

        PIL- 1st, Metal Box and flowers are all essential in my collection.

        The Plastic Box 4cd set remastered some of this to great effect and even the latter stuff sounded ok

        cheers-pippip old chap

        Phil
        London
        > You're absolutely right ! Robert Fripp (born
        > in Dorset, I think...)
        > could not be more English !!!

        "more English?"...you mean.... dour, uptight, with a propensity for imbibing
        too much beer in musty pubs and a general air of intellectual
        passive-aggressive superiority (despite all the 'sorrys'), interspersed with
        childish outbursts of toilet humour and swear words?

        ;-)

        ...better add self-deprecating 'humour' to that list as well...

        Is Adrian Belew quintisentially 'american' in the KC context then?
        His guitar playing is certainly less uptight
        ;-)

        Picked up ELP first album for a couple of bucks.

        I think greg lake is a very underated bassist - his fuzz riffing on the first
        track is just great, what an opener. Also one of the few bassists at the time
        to leave the treble freqs intact on his instrument.

        Also, I don't here Public Image Limited mentioned much here, but they seem
        very avant-prog (at least their early stuff) I;ve been listened to flowers of
        romance and its very fresh and progressive to this day.

        Jamie

        Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

      • The Lighthouse Keeper
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
          At 11:22 AM 9/30/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >His sister lives in USA and has a business there.

          Sorry, yeah maybe I'm wrong. Don't claim to be a Frippologist. I know his
          sister had a hair salon or something in san francisco for many years going
          at least back to the mid-late1970's (I seem to recall the slogan was "don't
          get clipped - get fripped") and I do remember when I went to see Projekct
          Two in Santa Cruz (~an hour south of san francisco) his whole "family" came
          out to see him (they hit them with a spotlight mid-show in their special
          section of seats). And I seem to recall reading somewhere (had to be the
          liner notes for something... maybe "young person's guide" ?) that he was
          either born in the US or had lived in the US or something prior to going to
          England... memory is pretty fuzzy here, and that LP is long gone... So...I
          guess I just thought I was connecting the dots.