Re: Digest Number 99

  • J. Free
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hiya -

      I'm not gonna get too deep into this, 'cause discussions like this usually become quite combustible.

      While I do agree that the sounds generated by Merzbow are of questionable merit to the uninitiated (or at least the unconvinced), I would like to suggest that his musical contributions are less steeped in theory than in impulse. Call it a "groove", if you will. Kind of like the way one might imagine they hear orchestrated sounds eminating from a construction site, on a good day, even though there is nothing of formal musical structure contained therein. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't - but then again, we can say the same thing about many of our favorite bands as well, from time to time.

      Just a thought, take it for what it's worth. Thanks for indulging me.

      J.

      "I will never understand the weird process by which a body with a voice fancies itself a mind."
      - Hugh Marlowe, in "All About Eve"