Re: Merzbow?

  • Nudeants@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
      I may receive a lot of flack for this, but I really dig Merzbow. He's kind
      of Xenakis meets death metal. I find what he's doing to have an appealing
      logic or flow to it. He's automatist to a ceratin degree; I don't know
      specifically how he organises his shit but he seems to be consistenly
      successful with what it seems like he's trying to do. It's not everyday
      music for me, but, album for album, he's pretty varied within his chosen
      parameters. He's also a writer and studied art in school as well; he often
      does his own album covers.

      That album, Aqua NeuroMancer, was it?... That album is really interesting,
      definitely one of his more accessible albums. He works with Soft Machine
      samples as the basis for one 'tune', Soft Drums.

      Matt Mitchell
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
        I've actually seen Merzbow perform.
        It was UNGODLY-LOUD-BEYOND-ANY-COHERENT-BELIEF

        I stuck it out as long as I could, but I ended up going outside of the tiny
        room where it was being held & shutting BOTH sets of doors & listening from
        the alley/parking lot area!!

        I'm glad I went - it's something to tell someone else's grandchildren, but I
        can't exactly say I "enjoyed" it.

        Steve
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
          hi...

          CuneiWay@... wrote:

          > From: CuneiWay@...
          >
          > I've actually seen Merzbow perform.
          > It was UNGODLY-LOUD-BEYOND-ANY-COHERENT-BELIEF
          >
          > I stuck it out as long as I could, but I ended up going outside of the tiny
          > room where it was being held & shutting BOTH sets of doors & listening from
          > the alley/parking lot area!!
          >
          > I'm glad I went - it's something to tell someone else's grandchildren, but I
          > can't exactly say I "enjoyed" it.

          I saw Borbetomagus once in this rat hole of a cellar club...the 2 sax players
          shoved these big ass microphones down the bell's of their horns and just went
          for it. I lasted about 10 minutes, till my ears started bleeding,went
          upstairs, still couldnt handle it...went outside and closed the front door of
          the club...still coudnt do it...went across the street and sat on someones
          lawn...sounded fine....kinda

          Michael Eisenberg

          --
          Outr´┐Ż Music
          Music Beyond Boundaries
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
            funny thread. i saw einsturzende neubauten play in a big, open cement club
            two years. i had to stand behind a wide concrete support pillar to deflect
            the sound, which was so loud it was like a physical pressure. forgot my
            cottonballs (i should know by now!) and spent a fair amount of time looking
            for some cigarette butts, anything, to shove in my ears to lessen the din.
            then i thought, "hey, those guys are my age! they gotta be stone deaf by
            now..."
            i'd be able to tell my grandkids, but i think the experience rendered me
            sterile.

            mark