Re: Merzbow?

  • mark jung
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29, 2000
      probably not missing whole lot - it depends on your capacity for
      distinguishing white noise. i've heard a fair amount of mr. bow, and while
      much of it could pass for the sound effects illustrating major traffic
      accidents in a high school educational film on drunk driving, i will
      recommend the disk he did with christoph heeman ("the sleeper awakes on the
      edge of the abyss", on extreme, if it's still in print - i think heeman
      worked with merzbow's supplied scree and wrapped it in environmental sounds.
      it's quite an usual listen), and "vibrophonic", on a small french label
      (it's at home and i'm not). again, these two disks are more "ambient" than
      most of what you'll get with the majority of his output.
      i'd like to hear some other suggestions for his releases. there's been
      talk for the past couple years of a "merzbox" (from extreme, i think) that
      will include 100 disks of unreleased output. talk about overkill...

      mark

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
        I may receive a lot of flack for this, but I really dig Merzbow. He's kind
        of Xenakis meets death metal. I find what he's doing to have an appealing
        logic or flow to it. He's automatist to a ceratin degree; I don't know
        specifically how he organises his shit but he seems to be consistenly
        successful with what it seems like he's trying to do. It's not everyday
        music for me, but, album for album, he's pretty varied within his chosen
        parameters. He's also a writer and studied art in school as well; he often
        does his own album covers.

        That album, Aqua NeuroMancer, was it?... That album is really interesting,
        definitely one of his more accessible albums. He works with Soft Machine
        samples as the basis for one 'tune', Soft Drums.

        Matt Mitchell
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
          I've actually seen Merzbow perform.
          It was UNGODLY-LOUD-BEYOND-ANY-COHERENT-BELIEF

          I stuck it out as long as I could, but I ended up going outside of the tiny
          room where it was being held & shutting BOTH sets of doors & listening from
          the alley/parking lot area!!

          I'm glad I went - it's something to tell someone else's grandchildren, but I
          can't exactly say I "enjoyed" it.

          Steve
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
            hi...

            CuneiWay@... wrote:

            > From: CuneiWay@...
            >
            > I've actually seen Merzbow perform.
            > It was UNGODLY-LOUD-BEYOND-ANY-COHERENT-BELIEF
            >
            > I stuck it out as long as I could, but I ended up going outside of the tiny
            > room where it was being held & shutting BOTH sets of doors & listening from
            > the alley/parking lot area!!
            >
            > I'm glad I went - it's something to tell someone else's grandchildren, but I
            > can't exactly say I "enjoyed" it.

            I saw Borbetomagus once in this rat hole of a cellar club...the 2 sax players
            shoved these big ass microphones down the bell's of their horns and just went
            for it. I lasted about 10 minutes, till my ears started bleeding,went
            upstairs, still couldnt handle it...went outside and closed the front door of
            the club...still coudnt do it...went across the street and sat on someones
            lawn...sounded fine....kinda

            Michael Eisenberg

            --
            Outr´┐Ż Music
            Music Beyond Boundaries
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2000
              funny thread. i saw einsturzende neubauten play in a big, open cement club
              two years. i had to stand behind a wide concrete support pillar to deflect
              the sound, which was so loud it was like a physical pressure. forgot my
              cottonballs (i should know by now!) and spent a fair amount of time looking
              for some cigarette butts, anything, to shove in my ears to lessen the din.
              then i thought, "hey, those guys are my age! they gotta be stone deaf by
              now..."
              i'd be able to tell my grandkids, but i think the experience rendered me
              sterile.

              mark