new hollmer CD review

  • mark jung
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
      thought you folks might be interested in this review from one of the mailing
      lists i'm on - steve, has this landed in your silver spring distribution
      center yet?

      - mark

      ______________________

      REVIEWS
      SOLA - Lars Hollmer's Global Home Project
      Country of Origin: Sweden / Japan
      Format: CD
      Record Label: Krax / Amigo
      Catalogue #: AMCD 894 / KRAX 12+1
      Year of Release: 2002
      Time: 71:43
      Rating: 10/10

      I'm familiar with Lars Hollmer's entire career, and a new Lars Hollmer
      album is always something nice to look forward to. In Sweden and in many
      other countries he's best know from the Swedish prog bands Samla Mammas
      Manna and Von Zamla. In Japan he is called genius and is treated like a
      rock star. This CD is a result of the meeting between Lars and the
      musicians he played with in Tokyo December 2000. In September 2001 they
      recorded this CD in the GOK Studio in Tokyo, except for the bonus track
      "Yrsa Requem" which was recorded in Lars well-known studio Chickenhouse in
      Uppsala, Sweden.

      The SOLA band contains Lars Hollmer and six skillful Japanese musicians
      lead by Wataru Ohkuma. Lars has written some new songs for this project and
      rearranged some older, previously unrecorded songs.

      Lars Hollmer's music is always hard to categorize as he's moving easily
      between many different genres and blending them all together into a very
      personal musical palette. He's music incorporates easy melodies, humor and
      complex odd-time signatures. Of course you can still hear the reminiscence
      to the various Samla line-ups, but there's also influences from World Music
      and Lars's own typical style that he has developed and refined through the
      years.

      The CD-booklet has a very beautiful cover picture painted by Lars's
      daughter Rinda Strand Hollmer. This is a very good album that I strongly
      recommend to all of you.

      SOLA Musicians:
      Lars Hollmer - Accordion, Melodica, Keyboards, Pump organ, Voice,
      Compositions
      Wataru Ohkuma - Clarinets, Accordion
      Yuriko Mukoujima - Violin, Melodica, Toy piano
      Hiromichi Sakamoto - Cello, Sounds, Saw
      Tatsuya Yoshida - Drums, Percussion
      Kazuto Shimizu - Keyboards, Grand Piano
      Kei Fushimi - Guitar, Mandolin

      Track listing:
      1. Nationsjazz (3:14), 2. Ljuva L�gen (6:14), 3. Trampumpa (7:22), 4.
      Arioso Nearaway (4:21), 5. Continue (5:19), 6. Arp. Violin (7:38), 7.
      V�xeltango (5:58), 8. Samma Zanzibar (4:11), 9. Parallell Angostura (3:56),
      10. AKA session (5:38), 11. Novelty (4:55), 12. Hoppas-GOK, 13. Yrsa Requem
      (3:17)

      Date: 2002-05-26
      Reviewer: Greger R�nnqvist
      greger.ronnqvist@...

      Contact & Info:
      Krax: www.amigo.se/krax / sck702n@...
      Amigo: www.amigo.se / camilla.agdur@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
        No - it's supposed to arrive soon. I hope so.
        I've heard it and it's very very good.

        Steve

        >thought you folks might be interested in this review from one of the mailing
        >
        >lists i'm on - steve, has this landed in your silver spring distribution
        >
        >center yet?
      • Hiroshi Masuda
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
          This CD is already on sale in Japan. It is very good recording for everyone.

          I held two shows of Lars Hollmer Greger R�nqvist mentioned on his review. The show was quite good. but Greger's article has some misunderstanding. The leader of SOLA band is Lars Hollmer. The musicians were chosen by us. It is not Wataru Ohkuma's band. I asked Kazuto Shimizu to lead the Japanese side band. Lars told me the music of SOLA has lots of Japanese feeling.

          Hiroshi Masuda
          POSEIDON Productions