Re: Urban Sax

  • lasciviakuci
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
      --- In avant-progressive@y..., Udi Koomran <ukoomran@n...> wrote:
      > I got the chance to see them play in London in 1985 - maybe the
      > most amazing shows I ever saw in my life!

      I've read others with the same opinion. I hope they do a performance
      out on the west coast of the U.S. sometime.

      Considering it's the only recording easily available, what do you all
      think of the Quad Sax recording in comparison to Urban Sax?

      Thanks for everyone's input.
    • Udi Koomran
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
        > Hi
        >
        > Considering it's the only recording easily available, what do you all
        > think of the Quad Sax recording in comparison to Urban Sax?

        A striped down line up - to me it sounds a little 'dry' compared to other
        stuff.
        But still worth listening if you don't know any of the other stuff.
      • The Lighthouse Keeper
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2002
          At 02:11 AM 6/3/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Considering it's the only recording easily available, what do you all
          >think of the Quad Sax recording in comparison to Urban Sax?

          Quad Sax: It's a pretty lean lineup, and certainly lacks some of the depth
          and intensity of the full lineup, but it's damn good for what it is, and
          I'd buy it again in a nanosecond.

          Urban sax stuff is not too hard to find used copies of in good record
          stores; I've seen copies of Fraction Sur Le Temps (LP) and Spiral (CD) in
          Amoeba records in berkeley earlier this year.

          For my ears, Spiral is their most fleshed out album and illustrates what
          they are capable of, but I'll agree that those earlier once have a very
          ambient charm, sort of like an acoustic answer to early tangerine dream or
          other spacy electronic works.

          If you can finf it, there is a disc that only comes with a photo-book about
          the band, titled "To The Happy Few", it's after Spiral, like mid-90's, and
          quite good too. Also, there is an EP (like 22 minutes) of Urban Sax playing
          with a Gamelan orchestra in Jakarta Indonesia, just amazing stuff. Came out
          around the same time, give or take a year.