new stuff - anyone heard?

  • mark jung
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2000
      hi all -

      found this in the new verge catalog:

      Koba - Koba (Belgium) "This brand new album contains only original
      compositions and are influenced by music without boundaries: jazz, world
      music, Aksak Maboul, rock, chamber music, folk, contemporary..."

      sounds interesting. anybody heard it?

      also, i see leonid soybelman's involved in a new project (that's actually
      being released on a domestic (US) label) - wish i could remember what the
      group was called (something russian-sounding that starts with a "K", if
      memory serves). anyone heard it?

      and lastly, there's a newish release on tzadik that's pretty entertaining -
      the group's a japanese trio, called "motor humming". if you liked
      tipographica, paragon of beauty, and similar jap. groups, these guys are
      worth investigating. not quite as "out" as typo, but similar feel. i put
      this disk on at the record store last friday night, and everyone browsing in
      the shop came up to asked, "what's that?" - sold that copy about 15 seconds
      into the second cut.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2000
        Mark wrote

        >also, i see leonid soybelman's involved in a new project (that's actually
        >being released on a domestic (US) label) - wish i could remember what the
        >group was called (something russian-sounding that starts with a "K", if
        >memory serves). anyone heard it?

        Is this Kletka Red?
        They've had at least ONE previous release on Tzadik.
        Haven't heard this new one.

        >and lastly, there's a newish release on tzadik that's pretty entertaining
        >the group's a japanese trio, called "motor humming". if you liked
        >tipographica, paragon of beauty, and similar jap. groups, these guys are
        >worth investigating. not quite as "out" as typo, but similar feel. i put
        >this disk on at the record store last friday night, and everyone browsing
        >in
        >the shop came up to asked, "what's that?" - sold that copy about 15 seconds
        >into the second cut.

        Hmmmm....I liked them a lot, but I heard more of a "rock" thing than the
        other groups you mentioned - at least partially due to the guitar/bass/drums
        lineup.