Re: Magma- 24 bit remastered

  • Ted Forbes
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2002
      >series will probably be a very attractive looking sonic piece 'o' poop.

      Oh contrare!

      Actually - I was glad to fork over the bread for these re-masters. They are
      very well done! Magma fans won't be disappointed.

      The biggest difference is on the "Live" re-master. It is the original track
      issue, which is a little annoying because it is missing Ëmëhntëht-Ré, Da
      Zeuhl ´Wortz Mekanïk, and the KÖHNTARK pieces are indexed as one track. But,
      it is a single CD and it keeps the price from doubling I suppose. So don't
      throw out your Seventh issue. That was my only complaint.

      The mastering on all three discs is excellent. I like the Seventh releases,
      but the overall volume on the re-masters is twice as loud, the mixes are
      considerably more "punchy" and the bass sounds ten times more clear and "in
      your face" (ie the jam in KÖHNTARK part 2). Da Futura is so muddy and flat
      on the Seventh release that I can't stand it. On the re-master it sounds
      fabulous! The strange thing is that when you compare the versions -
      especially on Live - the panning is clearly reversed in some places which
      makes me wonder if they weren't re-mixed.

      And, of course, the packaging on these are very cool. I've always thought
      the Seventh re-issues lacked much to be desired. It looks like Seventh
      completely bipassed using a graphic designer - pretty weak graphic
      presentation (except for the Triannon set). I'm a graphic designer so these
      things really annoy me. The Japanese reissues are replicas of the LP's and
      very cool at that. You get all the liner photos as well and the printing is
      superb.

      I highly recommend these - I know they are pricy, but well worth the money.
      I wish the Seventh releases were this good and I really hope that the
      Japanese label releases the rest of the catalogue (at least give me an MDK
      that sounds as good as these!). My only gripe was the price - I spent almost
      $90 on three albums I already owned and really was nervous about how these
      would sound, but I got over it pretty quick once I heard them.

      Ted

      Steve writes:

      >1) I have heard very bad things about these "lp sleeve style" Japanese
      >remasters in general

      >2) Since they are obviously using the CHARLEY RECORDS masters for these,
      >which iirc, were taken off of lps for Attahk & Udu Wudu, I suspect that this

      Steve

      Udi writes:

      >I was wondering if anyone on this list had a chance to hear the new
      >japanese "24 bit remastered reissues" of Magma's
      >ATTAHK
      >LIVE
      >UDU WUDU
      >Curious to know how much these reissues really made an improvment...
    • lasciviakuci
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2002
        I splurged and bought both versions of Hhai-Live to make the
        comparison and see if it's worth the extra money for the mini-LP
        Japanese reissues. I humbly offer the following research:

        --- In avant-progressive@y..., CuneiWay@a... wrote:

        > 2) Since they are obviously using the CHARLEY RECORDS
        > masters for these, which iirc, were taken off of lps for Attahk &
        > Udu Wudu, I suspect that this series will probably be a very
        > attractive looking sonic piece 'o' poop.

        I have to agree with Ted Forbes that, even after compensating for
        the volume difference between the two issues, the mini-LP
        sounds far better. The timbres of the instruments are much
        brighter and the bass is "punchier". The balance between the
        vocals and the non-vocal instruments has been shifted in favor
        of the latter, with Stella Vander almost overpowered, though.

        If this was transcribed from the original LP, this issue might even
        be more representative of the original vinyl issue than is the
        Seventh remaster. Current technologies can do wonders. Heck,
        just consider how well the demo of "Moon In June" turned out on
        the "Backwards" release of Soft Machine.

        --- In avant-progressive@y..., Ted Forbes <ted@g...> wrote:

        > The biggest difference is on the "Live" re-master. It is the
        > original track issue, which is a little annoying because it is
        > missing Ëmëhntëht-Ré, Da Zeuhl ´Wortz Mekanïk,
        and the
        > KÖHNTARK pieces are indexed as one track.

        I feel the concert tapes must have been remixed for the creation
        of the original LP, as the Seventh issue shows some of
        Blasquiz's vocals carrying over from Da Zeuhl ´Wortz Mekanïk
        into Mekanik Zain; on the Japanese issues, the latter track fades
        up into keyboard moans and, at the location corresponding to
        the Seventh issue, is absent any vocals. Of course the Seventh
        also shows that Kobah followed Hhai in the original concert, one
        running into the other, something the Japanese hides with the
        two tracks split and reordered. The Seventh also has more
        applause and includes some banter.

        > The strange thing is that when you compare the versions -
        > especially on Live - the panning is clearly reversed in some
        > places which makes me wonder if they weren't re-mixed.

        It appeared to me that the channels were reversed all through
        the album, based on comparisons at a few points on the CDs.
        My suspicion now is that the Seventh issue is closer to the
        original concert tapes, while the Japanese is truer to the original
        album release. According to the liner notes, the Seventh issue
        was remastered by Christian Vander from the original 24-track
        recordings; how he chose the relative levels of the tracks I don't
        know.

        Now we just need remasters of MDK and Kohntarkosz.
        (Please.)

        P.S. What does "iirc" mean?
      • Udi Koomran
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2002
          >  According to the liner notes, the Seventh issue
          > was remastered by Christian Vander from the original 24-track
          > recordings; how he chose the relative levels of the tracks I don't
          > know.

          No. It says 'remixed' and that explains the different balance.
          But somehow I am not surpassed that a remaster would sound better then a mix
          done by Vander...
          Try and compare "Mekanik Machine" version from Top's cd (remastered from
          'the original tapes') to the version from the Magma cd (obviously lifted
          from a scratchy worn vinyl copy).
          Remember the Albert Marcoeur remaster thread?
          What I am trying to say is that sometimes a better result can be achieved
          from an inferior source.
          It all depends on skill and esthetics I guess
          But then a 'better' sound is something very subjective.