Re: Sv: [avant-progressive] Arabian Music

  • Michael Feathers
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
      Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. There were enough to keep my ears
      full for a while.

      Michael
    • michael bohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2001
        Dont forget Rimitti from Algeria (almost 70 years old). She also made an interesting
        album where Robert Fripp contributes a lot (also with another guitarist from Dead
        Kennedy's).
        Rimitti: Sidi Mansour 1994

        Michael Bohn

        03-10-2001 11:33:49, manno <manno@...> wrote:

        >Let's not forget Bellemou Messaoud; the "Miles of Algeria" and inventor of "Pop-Rai", or Les Variations "Moroccan Roll" back in the 70's with the
        Guy Pelleart cover. It has one great Arabic track on it called Shemoot. Also try and find an album of Oud, bass and drums by Hassan Erraji called
        NIKRIZ It's a nice fusion. Sorry but I wouldn't have the faintest idea whether any of this stuff is on CD
        >dr greg
        >
        >PIERRE TASSONE wrote:
        >
        >> Yes, Michael. I've listened for years to many different blends from Yemen to Raï and I can give you many hours of fascinating listening: Natasha
        Atlas (Yemen & Egypt), Karim Ziad (on ACT), "Electric sufi" on Enja from N. Youssef (yes the title involves obviously a blend of arabic and sufi), Rah
        Man (old 70's fusion stuff from Musea), Khalil Chehine (Egyptian), Fawsy Al-Aiedy, Mamdouh Bahri & Nefta (Tunisian roots mixed in jazz playing). If
        you specify what you mostly feel to like (traditional or modern mix of styles) I could give you some more adequate titles.