Absolute Zero

  • Marc Adler
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 1999
      Hiya,

      > Originally based in MA, Absolute Zero was a trio of
      Enrique Jardines (bass), a female singer/keyboardist
      whose name I forget & a drummer.

      I know Enrique. In fact, I played several times with
      him back in the early 80's. He lived near Doug Walker
      (Alien Planetscapes), and Doug happened to meet
      Enrique somewhere and found out that they liked the
      same kind of music. Doug, Enrique and myself played a
      few times, doing the Heldon space-rock thing. I was
      impressed by Enrique because he knew who Jannick Top
      was!!! We also jammed a few times with a sax player
      named Ed Rollins.

      I'm glad to see that Enrique is still playing. Sigh...
      how many of us have stopped playing!!! Damn, if the
      Internet was this popular in the early 80's, I
      probably would have hooked up with my ideal
      Magma/Univers Zero clone band! Now, I appease my urges
      by playing tympani to Beethoven and Handel in two
      local symphony orchestras. (Although we did get to do
      a bunch of Copland last year!)

      (Soapbox on) The funny thing is that New York City did
      not have the same kind of close-knit progressive music
      playing community that, let's say, Baltimore had
      (Muffins, Mars Everywhere, Happy the Man, etc). We had
      the prententious downtown scene, but there was never
      the brotherhood of prog players that seemed to be in a
      lot of other cities. (Soapbox off).

      Take care,

      Marc

      =====
      Marc Adler/Magma Systems
      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/magmasystems
    • CuneiWay@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 27, 1999
        Marc A. wrote:

        >I'm glad to see that Enrique is still playing. Sigh...
        >how many of us have stopped playing!!!

        Me! Me! Me!
        VERY happily!
        About 15 years ago!

        :-)

        >The funny thing is that New York City did
        >not have the same kind of close-knit progressive music
        >playing community that, let's say, Baltimore had
        >(Muffins, Mars Everywhere, Happy the Man, etc).

        Actually you mean D.C. - [D.C., suburband MD, & suburband VA]
        Baltimore had it's own scene, which I didn't really know as well, but which
        had some good stuff as well.

        And I don't know how "close-knit" it was - there were definitely factions &
        alliances & uneasy collaborations, etc. Just like real life. I was there, & I
        wouldn't exactly call it a "brotherhood". For everyone involved in Random
        Radar, there were many others NOT involved who felt left out & didn't like us
        or what we were doing. And we even battled amongst ourselves.

        I gues to our credit though, we *did* do it, & somehow documented it at the
        time.

        >We had
        >the prententious downtown scene.

        What made it pretentious?
        Who are you talking about? The no-wavers?

        Steve F.
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 24, 2000
          Sebastien wrote:

          >about new releases, you haven't told about an hypothetic Cd from Absolute
          >Zero, now with Pip Pyle...do you know if something is planned ?

          I think that they recorded it or will be recording it, which is why Pip is in
          the USA now. It certainly wasn't to play one show with A. Zero in Florida...

          I only know this because of speaking to Pip at home in France about the N.
          Health CD we're doing. I don't often talk to Pip - only started speaking to
          him because of the Health CD - & I don't know him very well at all [although
          he's certainly a lot of fun to talk to]. I don't know the guys in A. Zero at
          all. I haven't heard any music by them since they released their CDEP about
          8-10 years ago.

          I am sorry that I am not full of information!!
          ;-)

          Steve
        • j.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2004
            Hey
            Has someone heard their album on Rer ? Is it one of their previous
            recordings self-released or is it a completely different album ?
            I loved their first EP at the time, as well as some other stuff and I'm
            really glad that they got finally released properly !
            Best
            jerome
          • Zero the Hero
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2004
              On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, j. wrote:
              > Has someone heard their album on Rer ? Is it one of their previous
              > recordings self-released or is it a completely different album ?

              Crashing Icons was self-released a couple years ago, as a 'pre-master mix'
              (whatever that means). I wonder if the new release is a remix...

              --
              Jason Ellerbee - jeller@...
              DREAMS WIDE AWAKE radio show - http://www.unf.edu/~jeller/dreams.html
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2004
                > Has someone heard their album on Rer ? Is it one of their previous
                > recordings self-released or is it a completely different album ?

                Hi Jerome, how have you been?

                AFAIK, Crashing Icons is all new material. And it's the most complex stuff
                I've heard from them. Truly insane, with a some mean bass lines. I still
                have some trouble with the keyboard sounds (too factory settings for me),
                but the music is sooooo dense.

                Francois Couture
                Writer, journalist (All-Music Guide, Ici), translator, proofreader.
                Producer of Delire Actuel and Delire Musical, CFLX.

                Personal webpage / Page personnelle: http://membres.lycos.fr/fcouture
                Visitez / Visit the All-Music Guide at http://www.allmusic.com
              • Michael Feathers
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24, 2004
                  I just got Crashing Icons, and I really really like it. I listen to a
                  lot complex music, but I swear that on the first track, I nearly had a
                  spell of vertigo when I tried to listen to all the parts.

                  Well worth a listen.
                • nosebone622
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 24, 2004
                    --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Feathers
                    <mfeathers@m...> wrote:

                    > I just got Crashing Icons, and I really really like it. I listen
                    to a
                    > lot complex music, but I swear that on the first track, I nearly
                    had a
                    > spell of vertigo when I tried to listen to all the parts.
                    >
                    > Well worth a listen.

                    I just got CI's from Wayside a couple of days ago along with -Science
                    Group "Spoors" and Ahvak "Ahvak"
                    I like em' all but I gotta admit Ahvak leads the pack.
                    CRUSHING RIO with super creative production.
                  • earl rapp
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 29 6:35 AM
                      Hello :

                      Frankie asked:

                      > Can anybody recommend Crashing Icons here?

                      yes I can, however, I am a huge Pip Pyle fan.
                      I found Crashing Icons to be a very enjoyable ride.
                      The bass player kicks ass and the band is a very
                      tight trio. how did they get that really cool
                      trumpet sound ?

                      the vocals are the only question one might have,
                      especially if you don't enjoy electronic
                      treatments to the female voice, the vocals are still
                      growing on me.

                      the playing is hot throughout the whole album.
                      I would say this is a must have for Pip-o-fans.

                      Earl Rapp