Re: [avant-progressive] Marcoeur

  • Michael Bohn
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
      I like the album Celui ou'y'a Joseph 1983 a lot !

      I have a cassette tape (Tago Mago label) from 78, where the B-side is Marceur in
      mono ( A-side is This Heat), and I belive the music is made for a film - this is
      short pieces (no vocals) filled with great ideas and great playing - approx. 20
      minutes all together. This period seems very creative - so if I should look for
      more A.M. I would check this period of time.

      Sports et Percussions 1994 is fun with great momemts , but somehow a little 'dry'
      for my taste. The dog walk tune is my favorite.

      Michael Bohn
    • Frank Camiola
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 17, 2006
        I have just listened to Albert Marcoeur's first two albums today for the first time. In short, I absolutely LOVE this stuff!

        Marcoeur is usually is described as a French Zappa, and while I do hear similarities of styles that FZ may indulge in, I get more of a solo Frith vibe in this music. These are just reference points, as this music is so completely original sounding and unlike anything I have ever heard before. The attention to detail in his music is magnificent. This is obviously a composer/musician who has TOTAL control over the sound of the composition. To describe this music would be fruitless - there is too much happening. He obviously has a great sense of humor, although I cannot understand a stitch of French.

        A few questions:

        1) Is that a real FART at the beginning of track 7 (s/t album)?

        2) If it was real, was that microphone ruined forever? It seemed awfully wet....

        3) What did he eat the night before recording that track?

        All in all, I'm blown away by this man's music. It always amazes me when I discover "new" music (to me) that has been around for a long time and has such a big impact.

        On my journey through more obscure and eccentric French prog, up next is Flamen Dialis.

        Frankie
      • alanterrill
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
          --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Camiola"
          <fcamiola@h...> wrote:

          > I have just listened to Albert Marcoeur's first two albums today for
          the first time. In short, I absolutely LOVE this stuff!

          You've got a lot of albums to go through yet, but if you love the
          first two, you'll doubtless love all the others in due course.
          Although some are a bit less intense than others, he hasn't done a bad
          album yet - I'd say Sports st Percussions is his least essential, but
          it still has its moments. But definitely get 'Celui ou a Joseph' which
          I think is his masterpiece, and sounding even better in its CD edition.
          As to the 'fart', I don't know -I would imagine he's blowing a
          raspberry down a cardboard tube here. More interesting is the musical
          car horn section at the beginning of the second album. The story of
          this is on his website, but it's so good I'll post it here:

          "To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning
          of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
          sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them
          onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
          once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and
          more fun.
          The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
          in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn
          bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
          Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five
          "vehiclists" started their instruments.
          As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot
          pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
          get the crescendos in the right places.
          After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
          Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
          Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
          at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
          fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
          had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."

          Alan Terrill
        • Renato Moraes
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
            Frank,
            Albert is great. Especially his 1st 4 albums. Alan is right telling you that 'Celui ou a Joseph' is essential, but I do think 'Armes Et Cycles' is equally excellent.

            Steve will probably want to kill me now, but I am less enthusiastic with his later work. "Ma Vie avec Elles" has some moments that are almost as good as the 4 previous ones. Sports et Percussions and (m,a,r, et coeur comme coeur) are very good but NOT ABSOLUTELLY GREAT.

            I did not listen to the last 2 very well, so I will not give my opinion.

            Renato

            Frank Camiola <fcamiola@...> wrote: I have just listened to Albert Marcoeur's first two albums today for the first time. In short, I absolutely LOVE this stuff!

            Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
              Frankie

              > A few questions:
              >
              > 1) Is that a real FART at the beginning of track 7 (s/t album)?

              always sounded like a wet rasberry (fart noise made with mouth to me).

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                Alan

                that was wonderful. Thanks for posting. It made me get up to play the CD
                right now...

                Steve

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                  Renato wrote,

                  >     Albert is great. Especially his 1st 4 albums. Alan is right telling you
                  > that 'Celui ou a Joseph' is essential, but I do think 'Armes Et Cycles' is
                  > equally excellent.

                  I agree with this.

                  >     Steve will probably want to kill me now, but I am less enthusiastic
                  > with his later work. "Ma Vie avec Elles" has some moments that are almost as
                  > good as the 4 previous ones. Sports et Percussions and  (m,a,r, et coeur comme
                  > coeur) are very good but NOT ABSOLUTELLY GREAT.

                  I don't disagree with this and I am surprised you thought I would disagree.
                  The only difference is that *I* think Ma Vie is perhaps his worst album. But
                  the work definitely goes down a step after the 1st four.

                • Renato Moraes
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                    Steve,
                    My comment wasnt serious, it was much more to bug you, as I know you like Marcoeur music a lot.

                    I received from you a few days ago his lastest, but I still did not have the time to listen to it propoerly, but during the 1st spinning I gave it........ I am not sure yet if it will turn to be a winner as the 1st 4.

                    Renato

                    CuneiWay@... wrote:
                    Renato wrote,

                    > Albert is great. Especially his 1st 4 albums. Alan is right telling you
                    > that 'Celui ou a Joseph' is essential, but I do think 'Armes Et Cycles' is
                    > equally excellent.

                    I agree with this.

                    > Steve will probably want to kill me now, but I am less enthusiastic
                    > with his later work. "Ma Vie avec Elles" has some moments that are almost as
                    > good as the 4 previous ones. Sports et Percussions and (m,a,r, et coeur comme
                    > coeur) are very good but NOT ABSOLUTELLY GREAT.

                    I don't disagree with this and I am surprised you thought I would disagree.
                    The only difference is that *I* think Ma Vie is perhaps his worst album. But
                    the work definitely goes down a step after the 1st four.

                    Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...

                    ---------------------------------

                  • Joe Barnekow
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                      Creeping in the cellar last weekend I found some long missed tapes with the
                      mags which accompanied them on release:

                      Mecano - Robert Wyatt lim.504/1500. Mag with interview of RW (french!) and
                      drawings by him. Music on tape not by Wyatt, but still a unique Wyatt
                      collector's item!!!

                      Tago Mago - This Heat/Albert Marcoeur lim. 352/1500. Mag in french/english
                      (short history of TH, photos and more) Tape one side A.M and one side TH
                      each around 15 min. Elsewhere unrel. stuff, besides on bootleg.

                      Winston Tong (Tuxedomoon) - Like the others (TWI 045) - Tape with small
                      book.

                      Touch #1 - C60 tape with Tuxedomoon, Robert Wyatt, Eric Random, New Order,
                      Simple Minds a.o. with then 1984 unrel. material + small booklet commenting
                      the contents of the tape.

                      Touch #5 - Magnetic North C90 + bklt, newspaper and colour work (90 pages)
                      in printed envelope feat. Residents, Cab. Voltaire, Neubauten, Strafe Fuer
                      Rebellion, D. Cunningham, Renaldo & The Loaf a.o..

                      As my proper tape machine is broken and won't be replaced, I'm selling these
                      items.

                      If there is someone who's interested in one or more of these items contact
                      me please off list.

                      Joe

                    • zeuhlmate
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                        This one is good !
                        And for those that doesn't understand french, there is no vocals, but
                        a few short but interesting compositions and especially some unusual
                        intriguing guitars.
                        I never understood how these recordings came by, could be a score for
                        a movie ?

                        The This Heat side, didn't so much for me (their albums are better).

                        > Tago Mago - This Heat/Albert Marcoeur lim. 352/1500. Mag in
                        french/english (short history of TH, photos and more) Tape one side
                        A.M and one side TH each around 15 min. Elsewhere unrel. stuff,
                        besides on bootleg.

                      • Udi Koomran
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 18, 2006
                          Alan
                          Thanks for sharing this with us!
                          Amazing

                          >>"To record the car horns and the engines accelerating at the beginning
                          >>of "Monsieur Lépousse", we had two solutions : either we recorded the
                          >>sounds separately on a portable tape recorder and transferred them
                          >>onto several tracks of two-inch tape, or we recorded everything at
                          >>once, live. Everyone felt the second solution was less tedious and
                          >>more fun.
                          >>The five percussionists sat at the wheel of their instrument, parked
                          >>in a semi-circle for the stereo effect, and rehearsed the car-horn
                          >>bits, first silently, to spare the batteries…
                          >>Mikes were placed near the engines and exhaust pipes and the five
                          >>"vehiclists" started their instruments.
                          >>As the sound of accelerating comes after one presses of the foot
                          >>pedal, we had to anticipate the commands by a semi-quaver, in order to
                          >>get the crescendos in the right places.
                          >>After a while, we couldn't breathe and had to turn off the engines.
                          >>Quick break. Quick cigarette!… Ignition and back to work.
                          >>Today, we would have sampled all the sounds, we would have fed them in
                          >>at the right times and places. We would have spared ourselves the
                          >>fuming exhaustion and the exhaust fumes of engines that unfortunately
                          >>had never heard of unleaded petrol or catalytic converters."

                          >Community email addresses:
                          > Post message: avant-progressive@...
                          > Subscribe: avant-progressive-subscribe@...
                          >
                          >Shortcut URL to this page:
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • palcontented1
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 19, 2006
                            So for those like myself who have the Baillemont two cd edition of the
                            first four albums, is the remastering on the individual discs a
                            significant enough improvement to be worth purchasing again?
                          • Udi Koomran
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 19, 2006
                              > is the remastering on the individual discs a
                              >significant enough improvement to be worth purchasing again?

                              Hold on to your cds
                              The remaster is in my opinion a bad job
                              Hyper compressed and eqed
                              kills the natural dynamics and feel of the music and leaves no warmth or
                              depth
                              The only good thing about these are the sleeves

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 19, 2006
                                No, not worth buying again, imo.

                                Steve

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  Well I'm surprised at this - I replaced all my vinyl with the
                                  re-issues and was pleased with them all - I think they sound better
                                  than the vinyl, but couldn't say if they sound better than the four on
                                  one Cd package. There is no extra material, and although all the
                                  original artwork is reproduced in miniature, and on nice card sleeves,
                                  there is no new artwork or notes. They don't sound over compressed to
                                  me, and I'd be surprised if a perfectionist like Marcoeur would do
                                  this to his own recordings. And no, I didn't actually get rid of the
                                  vinyl -those early sleeves are too good -they're stored ready for
                                  framing. Intersting to see someone offering that Tago Mago cassette
                                  for sale - it was a soundtrack called 'Deux Lions au Soleil', but to
                                  what I don't know. I believe he's done quite a bit of film and stage
                                  soundtrack work, but apart from this I've never seen anything released
                                  - has anyone any tapes or bootlegs or anything extra-curricular -I'd
                                  love to hear it!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    Thanks, Steve, Udi and Alan for all the feedback. You've saved me a
                                    good piece of change.

                                    Lenny