Goblin ( believe it or not this is not robospam)

  • fastianed
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2013
      Hello all that is still around,
      I see that the Italian band Goblin is in the middle of a US tour and playing SF in a couple of days with Secret Chiefs 3. They've been getting a fair amount of press lately considering and I even heard them on the radio the other day (KALX). I even dug out Profondo Rosso for a listen. Pretty short, barely 30 minutes.
      Has anybody else seen them yet? Are they worth shelling out 50 bucks for? I think they're opening for Secret Chiefs 3 so they might not have been allotted much time to play. Any insight or opinions welcome,
      JT
    • Ben Wolfson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 18, 2013
        I'm pretty sure SC3 are opening for Goblin.

        On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM, fastianed <fastian@...> wrote:
          Hello all that is still around,
          I see that the Italian band Goblin is in the middle of a US tour and playing SF in a couple of days with Secret Chiefs 3.  They've been getting a fair amount of press lately considering and I even heard them on the radio the other day (KALX).  I even dug out Profondo Rosso for a listen.  Pretty short, barely 30 minutes.
          Has anybody else seen them yet?  Are they worth shelling out 50 bucks for?  I think they're opening for Secret Chiefs 3 so they might not have been allotted much time to play.  Any insight or opinions welcome,
                                                              JT

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            avant-progressive-digest@yahoogroups.com
            avant-progressive-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        Ben Wolfson
        "Human kind has used its intelligence to vary the flavour of drinks, which may be sweet, aromatic, fermented or spirit-based. ... Family and social life also offer numerous other occasions to consume drinks for pleasure." [Larousse, "Drink" entry]

      • Joseph Paradiso
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 18, 2013
          I went to the gig in Boston last week.  Secret Chiefs open for Goblin.  Secret Chiefs were actually quite good, especially the Middle-Eastern rock rants they played.  Goblin are a legend and if you're into Italian Prog, you need to see them at least once.  That said, they played way too loud - it became hard to hear them, and my earplugs didn't help too much at the Sinclair in Cambridge.  Their chops were decent, but Claudio messed up his minimoog lines once or twice - it was early in the tour and he probably was a bit out of spec - guitarist was great (and I think it was the original player).  The attitude of the band was great - they were often joking with the audience and totally congenial.  Behind them were projected the goriest moments of Argento's movies (corresponding to the track that the band were playing at the time) - and to be honest, I have a strong stomach and can enjoy an Argento film (Susperia is a masterpiece of sorts), but this was too much and distracted from the (already too loud) music.  So I'm glad I saw them, but looking at the live in Japan DVD they sold was a better musical experience - you can hear the music clearly, and there's no projected gore to distract.  Their Tour EP has some nice re-recordings of their classic soundtrack pieces too.  When they come back in a couple of months, I'm not sure that Claudio will be with them, but as they will tour with Zombi, it will be totally worthwhile, as Zombi's material just keeps getting stronger.  And hopefully Goblin will turn down a bit!  -Joe-

          On Oct 18, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Ben Wolfson wrote:

          I'm pretty sure SC3 are opening for Goblin.

          On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM, fastianed <fastian@...> wrote:
            Hello all that is still around,
            I see that the Italian band Goblin is in the middle of a US tour and playing SF in a couple of days with Secret Chiefs 3.  They've been getting a fair amount of press lately considering and I even heard them on the radio the other day (KALX).  I even dug out Profondo Rosso for a listen.  Pretty short, barely 30 minutes.
            Has anybody else seen them yet?  Are they worth shelling out 50 bucks for?  I think they're opening for Secret Chiefs 3 so they might not have been allotted much time to play.  Any insight or opinions welcome,
                                                                JT

          Now Playing: Parade
          By: John Oswald
          From: CMCD

        • naga3717
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 20, 2013

             Posted on another list:

            -------

            Looks like the second leg is a different line-up.

            The first leg was the "New" Goblin:
            Massimo Morante - guitars
            Claudio Simonetti - keyboards
            Maurizio Guarini - keyboards
            Bruno Previtali - bass
            Titta Tani - drums

            The second leg will be the "BackToTheGoblin" lineup:
            Massimo Morante - guitars
            Maurizio Guarini - keyboards
            Fabio Pignatelli - bass
            Agostino Marangolo - drums
            Aidan Zammit - keyboards

            --------------

            I don't have the tour dates. I know they're coming back to DC in December and playing with the band Zombi. They did a gig in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, and I had very favorable comments.

            Mark C.

          • naga3717
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 20, 2013

              I wrote ...

              "...and I had very favorable comments."

              S/B "...heard very favorable comments."

              Mark C.

            • spacepiano
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2013

                Ah, I didn't know they were in Baltimore!  The DC-area 930 club's website (www.930.com) says the December show with Zombi is on Friday the 13th which seems appropriate.

                Oh, and Sparks is on tour & playing the 930 club this Sunday!

                --Drew

                ---In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, <avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                 Posted on another list:

                -------

                Looks like the second leg is a different line-up.

                The first leg was the "New" Goblin:
                Massimo Morante - guitars
                Claudio Simonetti - keyboards
                Maurizio Guarini - keyboards
                Bruno Previtali - bass
                Titta Tani - drums

                The second leg will be the "BackToTheGoblin" lineup:
                Massimo Morante - guitars
                Maurizio Guarini - keyboards
                Fabio Pignatelli - bass
                Agostino Marangolo - drums
                Aidan Zammit - keyboards

                --------------

                I don't have the tour dates. I know they're coming back to DC in December and playing with the band Zombi. They did a gig in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago, and I had very favorable comments.

                Mark C.

              • Gerald Van Waes
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2013
                  There is circling some live footage on YouTube .. I cannot check right now but perhaps you can..

                  Gerald Van Waes

                  Sent from iPhone

                  On 18 Oct 2013, at 21:52, "fastianed" <fastian@...> wrote:

                  Hello all that is still around,
                  I see that the Italian band Goblin is in the middle of a US tour and playing SF in a couple of days with Secret Chiefs 3. They've been getting a fair amount of press lately considering and I even heard them on the radio the other day (KALX). I even dug out Profondo Rosso for a listen. Pretty short, barely 30 minutes.
                  Has anybody else seen them yet? Are they worth shelling out 50 bucks for? I think they're opening for Secret Chiefs 3 so they might not have been allotted much time to play. Any insight or opinions welcome,
                  JT

                • Scott Montgomery
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 22, 2013
                    If you are a Goblin fan, this is a rare opportunity...and a "must-see" concert.  I saw them last Tuesday in Denver and LOVED it.  To finally see Goblin after all these years!...and they sure delivered.  Fabulous show.  THey played most of Roller - my favorite album.  Plus, a cavalcade of most of the great/emblematic songs from the various films.  Brilliant playing - all around great.  The images projected behind were more than disturbing and frankly hard for me to wathc (I don't like watching girls being horribly murdered...)  It just brought homw how much I love the music but really hate the genre of giallo horror films...an odd disconnect.  Nonetheless, I found the concert to be superb and absolutely worth it.

                    Secret Chiefs 3 opened and were great too - a super double bill.  Enjoy!

                    -Scott dada Denver