Re: face book avant progressive group

  • hugh
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2012
      i want no part of facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.; and unless e-mail is completely killed, my opinion of them is not likely to change, so i would like to see this group kept running for as long as possible, and am willing to helpn keep it running in any way that i can

    • magmahawk@planet.nl
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
        me too, i stay here on this mailing-list until i am diconnected.
        after i will find another way to get the information i need.
        but i wil NOT join facebook, twitter etc.
        good luck with it but time will tell.

        andre

        <mailto:avant-progressive%40yahoogroups.com>avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com,
        Renato Moraes <remoraes01@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I think it is possible to enter facebook and set that messages are sent
        to your mailbox instead to go there and read them at facebook.

        > I wrote about being quiet before and from time to times I tried to send
        messages to this group because I think some subjects gets more attention
        and better answers than in forums like progressiveears. However this list
        is almost dead, and it is a shame, as I really did good friends here!
        Movement at facebook is awesome! So, despite all our problems with new
        medias, I would try to check out the list there, because we more movement
        in a week than here in the last 2 years as Steve said before.

        > We are battling about avant-prog list or facebook group and wasting time
        on this subject. So, for the guys that want to get THIS LIST running.....
        write about MUSIC and not about what was, is and will be better.

        > The reason we all are here is MUSIC and not e-mail or facebook.
        >
        > right or no?
        >
        > Renato

      • Angilly, Robert
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2012
          I appreciate the problem with Facebook. I went right in and signed up for the group. First I got e-mails for every comment being made on the discussion list, often with links to other external content which may be OK for Facebook but make me afraid that if I click on anything it may bring down all sorts of viruses and malware onto my work computer (which shares my e-mail account). Then came the spam, almost as soon as I signed up I started to receive dozens of e-mails each day by well meaning contributors wanting to help with my sexual dysfunctions and a variety of other things I didn't know I was suffering from and offers to reimburse me for helping launder the funds of former Nigerian government officials. Since they were from my good friends at Facebook my spam filters are telling them to come in and set a spell.

          Had the same thing happen when Robert John Godfrey invited me to join Twitter (after all he was right about Marillion). Soon I started getting the feeling that I was being "followed", and was looking over my shoulder every few minutes. Now I figure I could make billions if I just develop something called "Anti-Social Networking" just for folks who would rather not bother with reaching out to complete strangers. Don't mind a few messages a day from the old schoolers (they're what prog is all about anyway). Facebook and Twitter seem to be the Karaoke of personal communication, more for exhibitionists and less for people that you would actually want to know if you were sober.

          bob

          <mailto:avant-progressive%40yahoogroups.com>avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:avant-progressive%40yahoogroups.com>,
          Renato Moraes <remoraes01@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I think it is possible to enter facebook and set that messages are sent
          to your mailbox instead to go there and read them at facebook.

          > I wrote about being quiet before and from time to times I tried to send
          messages to this group because I think some subjects gets more attention
          and better answers than in forums like progressiveears. However this list
          is almost dead, and it is a shame, as I really did good friends here!
          Movement at facebook is awesome! So, despite all our problems with new
          medias, I would try to check out the list there, because we more movement
          in a week than here in the last 2 years as Steve said before.

          > We are battling about avant-prog list or facebook group and wasting time
          on this subject. So, for the guys that want to get THIS LIST running.....
          write about MUSIC and not about what was, is and will be better.

          > The reason we all are here is MUSIC and not e-mail or facebook.
          >
          > right or no?
          >
          > Renato

        • Cuneiform / Wayside
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
            Dear all,

            I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.

            Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.

            I don't want to oversee this group anymore.

            Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.

            ok?

            very best

            Steve
          • Bob Netherton
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...> wrote:

              > Dear all,
              >
              > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
              >
              > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
              >
              > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
              >
              > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
              >
              > ok?
              >
              > very best
              >
              > Steve

            • Bob Netherton
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                I apologize for that last email, folks. Very un-progressive of me :). (blame the iPhone)

                While I have had a very hard time getting the Pikapika TeArt out of my CD player, one disc that is getting a lot of playing time is the Humble Grumble. This is exactly the kind of music I love. It is energetic, playful, a bit wacky but doesn't get overly noisy (the dogs don't leave the room when I play it loudly).

                Anything else like this floating around ?

                Of course, if I posted this to Facebook I could have included a sample :)

                Bob

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...> wrote:

                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Dear all,
                > >
                > > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
                > >
                > > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
                > >
                > > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
                > >
                > > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
                > >
                > > ok?
                > >
                > > very best
                > >
                > > Steve

              • Angilly, Robert
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                  Hi Old Schoolers,

                  Recently I’ve been trying to pick up anything I can find by Rodrigo y Gabriella. Had seen their stuff for a while and thought they were just another Latin pop act. Actually, they are a couple of young Heavy metal/Grunge street musicians, who went to Dublin where the street music scene is slightly more profitable, became very popular, now play to sell-out auditoriums (and streets). Finally heard them (they play the bar band in Puss in Boots), and then started to accumulate their albums. Very sophisticated and energetic stuff, now about as far away from their heavy metal roots as Gentle Giant is from a garage band. Most of their recent albums come as CD/DVD 2fers.

                  Bob
                  Long live Anti-Social Networking.

                  On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...<mailto:progbob%40gmail.com>> wrote:

                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...<mailto:CuneiWay%40aol.com>> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Dear all,
                  > >
                  > > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
                  > >
                  > > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
                  > >
                  > > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
                  > >
                  > > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
                  > >
                  > > ok?
                  > >
                  > > very best
                  > >
                  > > Steve

                • Breiling, Achim
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                    Well, Humble Grumble are musically not far from other Belgian Avantproggers like The Wrong Object, Flat Earth Society, X-Legged Sally and Fukkeduk, though these bands tend to be a bit more serious and sometimes noisy.

                    All this was maybe started by Kandahar, who released two quite interesting albums in the 70ties!

                    Achim

                    I apologize for that last email, folks. Very un-progressive of me :). (blame the iPhone)

                    While I have had a very hard time getting the Pikapika TeArt out of my CD player, one disc that is getting a lot of playing time is the Humble Grumble. This is exactly the kind of music I love. It is energetic, playful, a bit wacky but doesn't get overly noisy (the dogs don't leave the room when I play it loudly).

                    Anything else like this floating around ?

                    Of course, if I posted this to Facebook I could have included a sample :)

                    Bob

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...<mailto:progbob%40gmail.com>> wrote:

                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...<mailto:CuneiWay%40aol.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Dear all,
                    > >
                    > > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
                    > >
                    > > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
                    > >
                    > > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
                    > >
                    > > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
                    > >
                    > > ok?
                    > >
                    > > very best
                    > >
                    > > Steve

                  • Renato Moraes
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                        Bob,

                        As Achim suggests, check the belgians, especially Flat Earth Society because they are active nowadays and you can find some of their CDs in print.

                        Renato

                      ________________________________
                      Well, Humble Grumble are musically not far from other Belgian Avantproggers like The Wrong Object, Flat Earth Society, X-Legged Sally and Fukkeduk, though these bands tend to be a bit more serious and sometimes noisy.

                      All this was maybe started by Kandahar, who released two quite interesting albums in the 70ties!

                      Achim

                      I apologize for that last email, folks. Very un-progressive of me :). (blame the iPhone)

                      While I have had a very hard time getting the Pikapika TeArt out of my CD player, one disc that is getting a lot of playing time is the Humble Grumble. This is exactly the kind of music I love. It is energetic, playful, a bit wacky but doesn't get overly noisy (the dogs don't leave the room when I play it loudly).

                      Anything else like this floating around ?

                      Of course, if I posted this to Facebook I could have included a sample :)

                      Bob

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...<mailto:progbob%40gmail.com>> wrote:

                      > Sent from my iPhone
                      >
                      > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...<mailto:CuneiWay%40aol.com>> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Dear all,
                      > >
                      > > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
                      > >
                      > > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
                      > >
                      > > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
                      > >
                      > > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
                      > >
                      > > ok?
                      > >
                      > > very best
                      > >
                      > > Steve

                    • Ross
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                        Really quite something live as well, catch them if you can.

                        "Angilly, Robert" <bangilly@...> wrote:

                        >Hi Old Schoolers,
                        >
                        >Recently I’ve been trying to pick up anything I can find by Rodrigo y Gabriella. Had seen their stuff for a while and thought they were just another Latin pop act. Actually, they are a couple of young Heavy metal/Grunge street musicians, who went to Dublin where the street music scene is slightly more profitable, became very popular, now play to sell-out auditoriums (and streets). Finally heard them (they play the bar band in Puss in Boots), and then started to accumulate their albums. Very sophisticated and energetic stuff, now about as far away from their heavy metal roots as Gentle Giant is from a garage band. Most of their recent albums come as CD/DVD 2fers.
                        >
                        >Bob
                        >Long live Anti-Social Networking.

                      • Angilly, Robert
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                          Thanks for reminding me they’re playing at the Orpheum in Boston, April 23rd. Will be there if at all possible. Live albums are spectacular.

                          "Angilly, Robert" <bangilly@...<mailto:bangilly%40gsd.harvard.edu>> wrote:

                          >Hi Old Schoolers,
                          >
                          >Recently I’ve been trying to pick up anything I can find by Rodrigo y Gabriella. Had seen their stuff for a while and thought they were just another Latin pop act. Actually, they are a couple of young Heavy metal/Grunge street musicians, who went to Dublin where the street music scene is slightly more profitable, became very popular, now play to sell-out auditoriums (and streets). Finally heard them (they play the bar band in Puss in Boots), and then started to accumulate their albums. Very sophisticated and energetic stuff, now about as far away from their heavy metal roots as Gentle Giant is from a garage band. Most of their recent albums come as CD/DVD 2fers.
                          >
                          >Bob
                          >Long live Anti-Social Networking.

                        • Mark Jung
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                            Bob, the new Cucamonga on Altrock's pretty good - starts out kind of "circus-y" but doesn't overstay its welcome.

                            On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...> wrote:

                            > I apologize for that last email, folks. Very un-progressive of me :). (blame the iPhone)
                            >
                            > While I have had a very hard time getting the Pikapika TeArt out of my CD player, one disc that is getting a lot of playing time is the Humble Grumble. This is exactly the kind of music I love. It is energetic, playful, a bit wacky but doesn't get overly noisy (the dogs don't leave the room when I play it loudly).
                            >
                            > Anything else like this floating around ?
                            >
                            > Of course, if I posted this to Facebook I could have included a sample :)
                            >
                            > Bob
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            > On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > Sent from my iPhone
                            > >
                            > > On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Cuneiform / Wayside <CuneiWay@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Dear all,
                            > > >
                            > > > I see lots of complaints about Facebook, but I *still* don't see anyone actually posting anything of musical interest here.
                            > > >
                            > > > Meanwhile, the avant-progressive facebook page is hoppin' and fun.
                            > > >
                            > > > I don't want to oversee this group anymore.
                            > > >
                            > > > Someone please approach me OFFLIST (i.e. do not write to the avant-prog list, but send me a private email) and I'll make you the moderator and then I will turn over the reigns to those who want to stay here and you can make it into something if you like.
                            > > >
                            > > > ok?
                            > > >
                            > > > very best
                            > > >
                            > > > Steve

                          • Bob Netherton
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                              Thanks Mark. I found a live performance of theirs on YouTube and immediately penciled it in for the next Wayside order. It almost made the last one :)

                              Thanks for the confirmation - looking forward to hearing it.

                              Bob

                              Sent from my iPad

                              On Mar 5, 2012, at 6:07 PM, Mark Jung <markjung@...> wrote:

                              > Bob, the new Cucamonga on Altrock's pretty good - starts out kind of "circus-y" but doesn't overstay its welcome.
                              >
                              > On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I apologize for that last email, folks. Very un-progressive of me :). (blame the iPhone)
                              > >
                              > > While I have had a very hard time getting the Pikapika TeArt out of my CD player, one disc that is getting a lot of playing time is the Humble Grumble. This is exactly the kind of music I love. It is energetic, playful, a bit wacky but doesn't get overly noisy (the dogs don't leave the room when I play it loudly).
                              > >
                              > > Anything else like this floating around ?
                              > >
                              > > Of course, if I posted this to Facebook I could have included a sample :)
                              > >
                              > > Bob
                              > >
                              > > Sent from my iPhone
                              > >
                              > > On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Bob Netherton <progbob@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > > Sent from my iPhone

                            • Jean-Henry Berevoescu
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 5, 2012
                                On 03/05/2012 09:16 PM, Bob Netherton wrote:
                                > Thanks Mark. I found a live performance of theirs on YouTube and
                                > immediately penciled it in for the next Wayside order. It almost made
                                > the last one :)
                                >
                                > Thanks for the confirmation - looking forward to hearing it.
                                >
                                > Bob

                                The AltRock releases are worth considering in whole batches - I take/buy
                                them like hot cakes, directly from the source. :-)

                                --bjh