Finally an introduction (with music information & a question for the group)

  • arkana13
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
      I was accepted into this group about a week ago and have meant to post an intro.
      I'm glad to see that there is plenty of actual discussion and not much spam.
      I have been a fan and collector of Prog, psychedelia, RIO, avant-garde and experimental music for years. In total, I have well over 4000 CDs, 500 LPs and over 300 GB of digitized music.
      The most common classic groups I love are Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis (only with Peter Gabriel), and Yes. I have over 100 live shows of PF as well as a lot of KC. With Yes, I mostly only pay attention to the early years.
      I have pretty much all the classics of psychedelia, as well as some neo-psych from modern groups like Porcupine Tree, Bardo Pond, Space Team Electra (not well-known, but highly recommended imo), Sky Cries Mary, etc.
      Along with the mighty King Crimson, my all time favorite progressive music is Thinking Plague. I actually spoke with their leader Mike Johnson a number of times and am proud to say that I convinced him to release a live CD from their performance at ProgFest after sending a bootleg to him in Denver. He had said he thought the performance was not up to par, but I told him how much I loved it and asked him to give it another listen. He then released the CD, though it's difficult to find.
      A somewhat related group I love is Bob Drake's 5UU's. I also like U Totem and their combined efforts with 5UU's.
      I have a lot of progressive rock, including Canterbury, Kraut rock, avant-prog, progressive metal, etc. I have all the classics of the genre, along with some less well-known groups.
      I love Rock in Opposition and have all of Henry Cow, Slapp Happy, Art Zoyd, nearly all of Etron fou Leloublan, Univers Zero and Present, etc.
      I have all of Mnemonists/Biota, an often over-looked band.
      Another artist who deserves more notice in the States is Keiji Haino, and in particular his project Fushitsusha. They are expensive imports usually, but I have the majority.
      Another classic avant-prog band I collect is Les Rallizes Dénudés.
      I have quite a bit of the odder, recent or harsher Jazz, including a ton of John Zorn projects, Erik Friedlander, Zeena Parkins, Nels Cline, etc.
      I also have quite a taste for totally experimental, noisy, and "bizarre" groups. My favorite of these is Nurse With Wound, which I have followed for over 25 years and have many rarities. Another favorite is :zoviet*france: (most of their CDs are OOP and sell for high prices. I won't part with mine.) I have the complete discography of Throbbing Gristle, which is certainly not prog, but I thought I'd mention it.
      NOW--Something I'd like to know is this groups policy regarding trades.
      I'm not sure what the policy of this group is in terms of trading. Certainly I think it is still fair game to trade live recordings that have never been released. As to copies of legitimate but OOP or hard-to-find CDs, I am willing but won't break any rules if that is verboten. I would trade one-for-one disks with scanned cover art or send a perfect CD-r for three blanks. Let me know what the policy is, and if any of this is acceptable, feel free to contact me regarding trades.

      Thanks again for allowing me to join.
      Shannon
      PS--For those of you also on the Progressive Music Society group, I apologize, I am copying this entire intro on there.
    • Cuneiform / Wayside
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
        This group was started by and is run by someone who makes their living in the music biz.

        You want to trade live material that is unreleased: go right ahead.

        Anything that has ever been released - no matter how rare or out of print - is NOT fair game for discussion of trading. I won't condone copyright infringement, no matter how silly it may seem.

        ok?

        thanks and thanks for asking!

        very best

        Steve