Gorguts

  • James Huggett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      ----- Original Message ----- > However, its really grown on me, and it still
      puts Gorguts, despite the
      > silly name, far ahead of any metal band I can think of.
      >
      > Really? Better than the Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects "Sol Niger

      not familiar with that

      > Within"? Better than Meshuggah's "Chaosphere"? If you haven't listened to
      > either of these albums, I highly recommend both...especially Sol Niger
      > Within.

      Meshuggah are too 'technoid cyber metal for me'.
      Bands like Dillinger Escape plan may have the convoluted riffs and time
      shifts, but they seemed to be trapped within a sort of prison of 90's
      espresso drinking intelligent schmetal with all the samplers and widdling,
      shouting and tritones that that involves.

      Gorguts' songwriting is on quite a different conceptual and emotional plane,
      to my ears. I guess I'm very 'down with it' as they say in the USA

      Perhaps, like BS's masters of reality, I tend to go for the stoner bands
      even though I avoid the toke. (irony?)

      > It seems like a blatant reversion to the old Gorguts modus operandi,
      > which I regarded as not being very distinctive or interesting.

      I guess i'm saying don;t write them off, the latest has some v good songs on
      it.
      Its certainly not the speed death of their first 2 albums.
      Given that it took me several listens to get into it, I can see why it would
      be less exciting live.

      >The brains
      > behind Obscura really was the departed Steeve Hurdle -- creatively those
      > days seem to be gone. Oh well! Obscura is soooo great.

      I heard he was quite an influence in a recent interview with the Luc band
      leader.
      What bands has S Hurdle played in before/or now?

      > The last two times I saw Gorguts live, it seemed like they've dropped
      > more and more of the Obscura elements -- they want to please the pit, and
      > that stuff ain't doing it. It belongs in a concert hall.

      Its probably difficult having your masterpiece rejected by your faithful
      followers, and embraced by a rag tag bunch of arty coffee drinkers who never
      buy your t-shirts! ;-)

      > ww

    • weasel walter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
        > Its probably difficult having your masterpiece rejected by your
        > faithful
        > followers, and embraced by a rag tag bunch of arty coffee drinkers
        > who never
        > buy your t-shirts! ;-)

        Hey! The t-shirts are too expensive!

        ww