avant-progressive metal

  • Renato Moraes
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
        Hi guys,

        I think Speepytime Gorilla Museum is the main band I could define as avant-progressive metal, but of course there are many others.
        Recently came to my knoledge other 3 that really colled my attention:

       Unexpect - from Canada. they have 3 CDs, the most recent is from 2006, In a Flesh Aquarium. Their sound is similar in some aspects to the sound of SGM, although they are more into heavy metal. Male and female vocals, fast developments with fast heavy drums, operatic vocals and trash vocals are mixed, heavy guitar, violin and piano. Some jazzy passages with cello and violin give to their music some especial. Very nice indeed.

        Diable Swing Orchestra - From Sweden, have 2 Cds, the most recent and also released in USA, is called Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirius. Some influence of Mr. Bungle here. Like a heavy band, with horns od a swing jazz band with operatic vocals. I still need to listen to their CD a little more to tell something better about, StoOdin pointed this already as one of his best 2009 CDs and I would say he is right.

        Stolen Babies - There be Squabbles Ahead - I did not do any deep research on them yet, but again heavy metal meets weird tempos, accordion, mandolim and a more stright metal vocal a la Mike Patton. This has some strong influences of Mr. Bungle. Carla Kilsted as guest on violin in 2 tracks.

        Does anyone know these bands and other alikes?

        Renato

    • Caleb Deupree
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
        Diablo Swing Orchestra has a freely available album at Jamendo, The Butcher's Ballroom (hat tip Free Albums Galore). When I think of prog-metal, I think of Opeth, but maybe they're not avant enough. How about Tool?

        Thanks for the tips, I'll check out these other groups.

        DSO & Jamendo: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49216
        Free Albums Galore: http://freealbums.blogsome.com/

        ---
        Caleb Deupree
        ctdeupree@...
        http://classicaldrone.blogspot.com

        On Apr 3, 2010, at 7:49 AM, Renato Moraes wrote:

        > I think Speepytime Gorilla Museum is the main band I could define as avant-progressive metal, but of course there are many others.
        > Recently came to my knoledge other 3 that really colled my attention:
        >
        > Unexpect - from Canada. they have 3 CDs, the most recent is from 2006, In a Flesh Aquarium. Their sound is similar in some aspects to the sound of SGM, although they are more into heavy metal. Male and female vocals, fast developments with fast heavy drums, operatic vocals and trash vocals are mixed, heavy guitar, violin and piano. Some jazzy passages with cello and violin give to their music some especial. Very nice indeed.
        >
        > Diable Swing Orchestra - From Sweden, have 2 Cds, the most recent and also released in USA, is called Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirius. Some influence of Mr. Bungle here. Like a heavy band, with horns od a swing jazz band with operatic vocals. I still need to listen to their CD a little more to tell something better about, StoOdin pointed this already as one of his best 2009 CDs and I would say he is right.
        >
        > Stolen Babies - There be Squabbles Ahead - I did not do any deep research on them yet, but again heavy metal meets weird tempos, accordion, mandolim and a more stright metal vocal a la Mike Patton. This has some strong influences of Mr. Bungle. Carla Kilsted as guest on violin in 2 tracks.
        >
        > Does anyone know these bands and other alikes?
      • Bob Netherton
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
          On 04/ 3/10 11:42 AM, Caleb Deupree wrote:
          > Diablo Swing Orchestra has a freely available album at Jamendo, The Butcher's Ballroom (hat tip Free Albums Galore). When I think of prog-metal, I think of Opeth, but maybe they're not avant enough. How about Tool?
          >
          > Thanks for the tips, I'll check out these other groups.

          There are some very good complex metal bands out there. Spastic Ink,
          Behold the Arctopus, and you might even consider putting Upsilon Acrux
          in this category. Canvas Solaris can whip up a pretty mean tune or two :-)

          Bob
        • StoOdin101@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
            As much as I like Diablo Swing Orch., especially the second disc, with a much more overt sense of macabre humour, for my money the absolute pinnacle of avant metal is Canvas Solaris. 4 discs, with a new one on the way. Incredibly complex stuff, with a great sense of melody (!) and dynamics. Those two elements are what set them ahead of the pack, way above similar guys like Continuo Renacer and Upsilon Acrux. Plus they inspire me to pretty pictures in my head. And sometimes onscreen:

            http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1043329788&aid=29353&s=40&hash=7b62770dda76b75b44c3cc31e36e1e3a#!/photo.php?pid=593969&id=1043329788.

            http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1043329788&aid=29353&s=40&hash=7b62770dda76b75b44c3cc31e36e1e3a#!/photo.php?pid=593929&id=1043329788
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            .
            !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
            "Outside of a dog , a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2010
              Not avant-metal, but a bit familiar to Sleepy Gorillas?
              http://www.myspace.com/majorparkinson

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2010
                --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Renato Moraes <remoraes01@...> wrote:

                >   Hi guys,
                >

                >   Does anyone know these bands and other alikes?
                >
                >   Renato

                Hello,

                Something you might want to look if you haven't already is the group Maudlin Of The Well, they have 2 excellent releases from 2001 "Bath" and "Leaving Your Body Map". If you like Sleepytime chances are you will dig Maudlin too.

                rich