Gorguts - from wisdom to hate

  • James Huggett
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2001
      Anyone else been listening to this?

      On first listens, the production is thinner than obscura and the songs less
      fatiguing (less blast beats and less 'jazzmutosis' wigging out). It is true
      some more typical 'metal' signatures have returned, including some 'chug
      chug' palm muting which was for the most part absent on Obscura.

      However, its really grown on me, and it still puts Gorguts, despite the
      silly name, far ahead of any metal band I can think of. The songs are more
      epic than on Obscura, still very much with the 'avant' penchant for
      discordant semi-tone intervals, coupled with strong melodic
      progressions/arpeggios.
      Theres a silly sampler/synth intro to one song - some real strings would
      have been much better (the band leader plays violin apparently, and they
      featured on obscura in places)

      JH
    • Nick Lejejs
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2001
        However, its really grown on me, and it still puts Gorguts, despite the
        silly name, far ahead of any metal band I can think of.

        Really? Better than the Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects "Sol Niger
        Within"? Better than Meshuggah's "Chaosphere"? If you haven't listened to
        either of these albums, I highly recommend both...especially Sol Niger
        Within.

        Been listening to more "tech metal" lately and stumbled across a one man
        metal-industrial-supertechnical-freakout project called Necrophagus. Very
        very good and will definately appeal to the more "brutal prog" or metal
        inclined readers on this list. Cool guitar work on the tracks I heard. Can't
        remember the album name but I believe he has 2 releases. I'll let those
        insterested make their own call but (for whatever its worth) it comes with
        my recommendation.

        Tks,
        Nick L.

      • weasel walter
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2001
          > On first listens, the production is thinner than obscura and the
          > songs less
          > fatiguing (less blast beats and less 'jazzmutosis' wigging out).

          It seems like a blatant reversion to the old Gorguts modus operandi,
          which I regarded as not being very distinctive or interesting. The brains
          behind Obscura really was the departed Steeve Hurdle -- creatively those
          days seem to be gone. Oh well! Obscura is soooo great.

          The last two times I saw Gorguts live, it seemed like they've dropped
          more and more of the Obscura elements -- they want to please the pit, and
          that stuff ain't doing it. It belongs in a concert hall.

          ww
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • weasel walter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2001
            >Better than Meshuggah's "Chaosphere

            Ya know, I really didn't like Chaosphere -- it seemed rote and
            half-baked. The material was very repetitive and seemed like it was
            written in a day. The story goes that the band had writing block and that
            the guitarist had to come back and write all of their material for them!
            It sounded like it. They're leaning on their innovation like a crutch at
            this point and not progressing. I liked the non-Holdsworth parts of the
            one before very much.

            > Been listening to more "tech metal" lately and stumbled across a one
            > man
            > metal-industrial-supertechnical-freakout project called Necrophagus.

            Yes, Necrophagist from Germany. A one-man bedroom band! I heard it and it
            was more 'major key' oriented than I hoped, but definitely spastic and
            technical.