Re: Flute

  • michael
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
      Isn't Jethro Tull proggish ? :-)

      How about Puppenhaus (1973)
      http://prognotfrog.blogspot.com/2009/10/puppenhaus-jazz-macht-spazz-germany.html - there is 2 tunes online.

      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "geraldpsyche" <geraldpsyche@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
      > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
      >
      > Gerald

    • Gerald Van Waes
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
        yes, but I can't think of Tull tracks where the flute really does it. I heard however lots of Tull like flute parts with speaking into the playing, especially from German origin which went much further and more advenirous but I can't think of any tracks right now which really did so..

        Gerald

        > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
        > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
        >
        > Gerald

      • Mark Jung
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
          Gerald -

          MIO did a 2lp-on-one-CD release of Jean Cohen-Solal's two albums that might be interesting for your friend. Finding a copy might be a little more difficult - you could try Meidad, he might still have a copy?

          Mark

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
            oh yes, I luckily have my copy ! That's indeed a good example.

            MIO did a 2lp-on-one-CD release of Jean Cohen-Solal's two albums that might be interesting for your friend. Finding a copy might be a little more difficult - you could try Meidad, he might still have a copy?

            Mark

            I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
            I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?

            Gerald

          • Joe
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
              Am 27.01.2010 20:00, schrieb geraldpsyche:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a
              > friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in
              > the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
              > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa
              > Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember
              > from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
              >
              > Gerald

              ...and what's with Paul Horn - Inside the Great(?) Pyramid ?

              Joe

            • Meidad Zaharia
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
                flute??

                you must be kidding :-)

                Only from Italy:
                Dalton
                Quala Vechia Locanda
                Celeste
                Capitolo 6
                Delerium
                Era Di Aquario
                Ossana first album
                Zauber

                The Mexican group: Nuovo Grouppo Mexico
                Focus

                There are hundreds of groups!

                oh yes, I luckily have my copy ! That's indeed a good example.

                MIO did a 2lp-on-one-CD release of Jean Cohen-Solal' s two albums that might be interesting for your friend. Finding a copy might be a little more difficult - you could try Meidad, he might still have a copy?

                Mark

                I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?

                Gerald

              • Hans Voigt
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
                  Here is one, great album, buy VEEERY expensive:
                  http://www.amazon.com/Musiques-Instruments-Insolites-Jean-Cohen-Solal/dp/B002BVW9N2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264627611&sr=1-1

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
                    I had a great track by the flute player from Hawkwind inside the pyramid, but after 3 moves I can't find that album any more. That one I think was very good for flute. It was a bonus track of 40 minutes or so from a less interesting side project from Hawkwind.

                    Gerald

                    Am 27.01.2010 20:00, schrieb geraldpsyche:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a
                    > friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in
                    > the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                    > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa
                    > Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember
                    > from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                    >
                    > Gerald

                    ...and what's with Paul Horn - Inside the Great(?) Pyramid ?

                    Joe

                  • Frank Zalkow
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
                      Hello,

                      does the term "new music" in English apply to 20th century avantgarde music like it does in German? We call it "Neue Musik".
                      Spontaneous occurred to me "Das Atmende Klarsein" of Italian composer Luigi Nono for bass flute, small choir and live electronics as one of the most beautiful avangarde piece with solo flute.

                      Regards,

                      Frank

                      geraldpsyche schrieb:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                      > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                      >
                      > Gerald

                    • Caleb Deupree
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 27, 2010
                        Yes, new music = neue musik, and the Nono piece is a great suggestion. A few others:

                        Seatrain, sort of a folk-rock-prog band from the early 1970s, traded their fiddle player (Richard Greene) for a flute player on their last album, entitled Watch. The last song on Watch is an instrumental called "Flute Thing", and it has a great flute-with-echo solo and excellent flute playing generally.

                        Early Crimson -- I Talk To The Wind, etc.

                        Also on the new music side, there are some pieces by Romanian/French spectralist Horatiu Radulescu, scored for nearly impossible combinations, including a piece for 72 flutes (only 40 flutists, though). His music is darn near impossible to find on CD, but the Avant Garde Project has put up one of his out-of-print flute albums at http://www.avantgardeproject.org/agp85/index.htm, including liner notes.

                        ---
                        Caleb Deupree
                        ctdeupree@...
                        http://classicaldrone.blogspot.com

                        On Jan 27, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Frank Zalkow wrote:

                        > does the term "new music" in English apply to 20th century avantgarde music like it does in German? We call it "Neue Musik".
                        > Spontaneous occurred to me "Das Atmende Klarsein" of Italian composer Luigi Nono for bass flute, small choir and live electronics as one of the most beautiful avangarde piece with solo flute.
                      • Breiling Achim
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                          That is "Xitintoday" by Nik Turner's Sphynx!

                          Achim

                          I had a great track by the flute player from Hawkwind inside the pyramid, but after 3 moves I can't find that album any more. That one I think was very good for flute. It was a bonus track of 40 minutes or so from a less interesting side project from Hawkwind.

                          Gerald

                          Am 27.01.2010 20:00, schrieb geraldpsyche:

                          > Hello,
                          >
                          > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a
                          > friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in
                          > the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                          > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa
                          > Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember
                          > from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                          >
                          > Gerald

                          ...and what's with Paul Horn - Inside the Great(?) Pyramid ?

                          Joe

                        • Alberto De Conti
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                            There are some great tracks with flute played by Didier Malherbe with Gong. Shamal would be a nice pick IMO.

                            Alberto

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                              Thank you for all advices. I will check everything. I never heard Shamal from Gong. I have all the albums before that.

                              Gerald
                              There are some great tracks with flute played by Didier Malherbe with Gong. Shamal would be a nice pick IMO.

                              Alberto

                              I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                              I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?

                              Gerald

                            • Renato Moraes
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                                  Gerald,

                                  ADD Trio

                                  Arguelles - drums
                                  Dick - flute
                                  Doran - guitar

                                  This trio with Christy Doran has 2 CDs. They are wavesome and you will lieten to some avant-garde flute. Robert Dick is also associated with many downtown jazz fellows and he has some other CDs to check on avant-garde side of things.

                                  rgds

                                  Renato

                              • Gerald Van Waes
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                                  ok I found his website on http://www.myspace.com/robertdickmusic

                                  Gerald
                                  This trio with Christy Doran has 2 CDs. They are wavesome and you will lieten to some avant-garde flute. Robert Dick is also associated with many downtown jazz fellows and he has some other CDs to check on avant-garde side of things.

                                  rgds

                                  Renato

                                • Gary Davis
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                                    Gerald wrote:

                                    > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                                    > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                                    >
                                    > Gerald

                                    I can't recommend strongly enough that you check out Rhonda Larson. The
                                    link below has two parts of a complete concert on video.

                                    http://mediasite-ex.it.wmich.edu/Mediasite50/Catalog/pages/catalog.aspx?catalogId=bcb60d81-3253-4cb4-affb-c4fc1e89d4c3

                                    I think this video will only be posted for the next couple of weeks. So
                                    you should check it out soon. Download it even.

                                    Gary

                                    Gary Davis
                                    The Artist Shop The Other Road
                                    http://www.artist-shop.com artshop@...
                                    phone: 877-856-1158, 330-929-2056 fax:330-945-4923
                                    INDEPENDENT PROGRESSIVE MUSIC!!!
                                    Check out the latest Artist Shop newsletter at
                                    http://www.artist-shop.com/news.htm
                                  • spacepiano
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                                      Hello,

                                      I *highly* recommend that you check out A.D.D. Trio's "Instinct" album - Robert Dick's flute playing is super tasty, and he uses extended techniques that may blow your friend's mind (as they did mine).

                                      Regards,
                                      Drew

                                      --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "geraldpsyche" <geraldpsyche@...> wrote:

                                      > Hello,
                                      >
                                      > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                                      > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                                      >
                                      > Gerald

                                    • spacepiano
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 28, 2010
                                        ...I didn't realize you had already posted this (I was reading the digest version). Great minds and all of that...

                                        Regards,
                                        Drew

                                        --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, Renato Moraes <remoraes01@...> wrote:

                                        >   Gerald,
                                        >
                                        >   ADD Trio
                                        >
                                        >   Arguelles - drums
                                        >   Dick - flute
                                        >   Doran - guitar
                                        >
                                        >   This trio with Christy Doran has 2 CDs. They are wavesome and you will lieten to some avant-garde flute. Robert Dick is also associated with many downtown jazz fellows and he has some other CDs to check on avant-garde side of things.
                                        >
                                        >   rgds
                                        >
                                        >   Renato

                                      • Renato Moraes
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 29, 2010
                                            Gerald

                                            and do not forget to check the brazilian wizard Hermeto Pascoal. I think on Slave Mass he kicks ass playing some flute.

                                            Jan Garbarek plays a stupendous solo on Nimbus (Ralph Towner´s Solstice)

                                            Renato

                                        • Gerald Van Waes
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 29, 2010
                                            I once saw a video of him playing flutes in a natural water pool, that was amazing.

                                            Gerald

                                            and do not forget to check the brazilian wizard Hermeto Pascoal. I think on Slave Mass he kicks ass playing some flute.

                                            Jan Garbarek plays a stupendous solo on Nimbus (Ralph Towner´s Solstice)

                                            Renato

                                          • Markhothem
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jan 29, 2010
                                              To me "Inside" by Paul Horn would be at the top of my list.

                                              He sits inside the Taj Mahal with his flute and plays!! Turn off the lights sit down and listen, you won't forget it.

                                            • otomstreet@comcast.net
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                If this is the one I'm thinking of I remember hearing it as a kid, doesn't the Taj Mahal have something like 12 perfect echos or something like that. I remember being seriously impressed when listening and I was a hard rocker at the time.

                                                Thom

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                  Thijs Van Leer, Mauro Pagani, Jimmy Hastings, Geoff Leigh?

                                                  Well here is norwegian band with a very good fluteplayer, but I'm not sure the terms psych/prog and avant fits even in a broad sense:
                                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRuMaSA4T0Y

                                                  --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "geraldpsyche" <geraldpsyche@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hello,
                                                  >
                                                  > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                                                  > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                                                  >
                                                  > Gerald

                                                • michael
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                    Michael Brecker played with 'farmers market' in 2004
                                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsLtqcnz8Hk

                                                    --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <michael@...> wrote:

                                                    > Thijs Van Leer, Mauro Pagani, Jimmy Hastings, Geoff Leigh?
                                                    >
                                                    > Well here is norwegian band with a very good fluteplayer, but I'm not sure the terms psych/prog and avant fits even in a broad sense:
                                                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRuMaSA4T0Y
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In avant-progressive@yahoogroups.com, "geraldpsyche" <geraldpsyche@> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Hello,
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                                                    > > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom they are.. Any other suggestions ?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Gerald

                                                  • Michael Anton Parker
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 30, 2010
                                                      On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM, geraldpsyche <geraldpsyche@...>wrote:

                                                      > I would like some advice. I was looking for good examples to show a friend
                                                      > of mine who plays flute at the conservatory. Which pieces in the psych/prog
                                                      > and avant / new music field are must have heard ?
                                                      >
                                                      > I could for instance suggest Ruphus Zuphall, early Embryo, and Kasa Kasa
                                                      > (Ausia) but what else ? I have tracks in mind but can't remember from whom
                                                      > they are.. Any other suggestions ?

                                                      Hmm... "Flute" subject line caught my eye! Of course I go to recommend the
                                                      two albums by A.D.D. Trio, but imagine my joy to see two other people have
                                                      already done so! For me, "Instinct" is the greatest album ever made in
                                                      human history. For me it's been #1 by a huge margin ever since I heard it
                                                      about 11 years ago. The second album is pretty much equal. I love pretty
                                                      much everything else Robert Dick has done, which is a really wide variety of
                                                      music, but that group was very special. There is a small trace of "rock" in
                                                      that group, but otherwise it's totally idiosyncratic, uncategorizable music.

                                                      Renato, you recommended Hermeto Pascoal to me many years ago and I did
                                                      eventually check him out and get pretty blown away by some of it...
                                                      Essential listening indeed! Thanks!

                                                      -Mike