Re: BASta! [Joris Vanvinckenroye] video -

  • Jean-Henry Berevoescu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2009
      On 11/06/2009 11:40 AM, Jean-Henry Berevoescu wrote:
      >> On a different note, I find the "cousin" album, Basta! - "Cycles" a
      >> truly refreshing one. It is the solo effort of the "brain" of Aranis,
      >> the bassist Joris Vanvinckenroye. Amazing things can one do with a
      >> bass... one has to listen in order to believe. Mostly double bass with
      >> some effects (don't imagine something "electrified" or anything like
      >> that) plus percussive stuff (not sure, but seems that the bass is also
      >> used as the percussive "space").
      >>
      >> I'd say it is up there with the solo work of luminaries as Eberhard
      >> Weber, Pietro Lusvardi etc... Definitely a 12+, if not a 13 (still
      >> thinking about this one's grade).
      >>
      >> --bjh
      >>
      > And here is a video example:
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBmD4X8WUo&feature=related
      >
      > I think it is absolutely superb. Absolutely amazing.
      >
      > --bjh

      When I listened to the CD I was pretty sure it's all overdubs - still
      the first reaction was to put him next to Eberhard Weber. Now, looking
      at the video I realized why: the technique is in the same line to the
      one Weber is using in "Pendulum" - it's not overdubs, but effects and
      loops with a double bass.

      --bjh