Re: Update from Systems Theory regarding Greg Amov's health

  • sdavmor
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2009
      We're into the final stages now of his cancer. Greg has been in
      at home hospice care since the middle of last week. He is heavily
      sedated on Dilaudid, a very strong narcotic. He was moved to it
      after morphine was no longer cutting it for his extreme pain.

      Greg went to sleep on Sunday before noon and has been completely
      non-responsive since then. Saturday evening was the last time he
      engaged in any conversation, and that was only "yes", "no" and "it
      hurts". He is expected to pass away in the next few days, and his
      wife Diane has urged all friends and family that want to see him
      to do so immediately. I am on my way to his house now.

      Should Greg somehow still be alive on Friday he will be 50 years
      old. Not that there will be anything to celebrate, since he will
      be there in body but not much else. I have chosen Nov 6th as the
      official release date of both his 3rd solo album "The Noble Gases"
      and the new Systems Theory album "overfulnoisecascade".

      His family and band-mates appreciate the fact that many progressive
      music community members emailed, texted, phoned, etc., their well-
      wishes. Since there won't be anything further to report, the next
      time I post an update regarding Greg Amov will be to advise of his
      death.

      On a positive Greg Amov related note, our friend Kurt Barabas (UTS,
      Amaron's Plight, Roswell Six) has offered me the use of his studio
      and as much help as I need to get all the remaining music of Greg's
      into releasable shape. That will be a project for 2010, after I get
      his currently OOP solo albums "The Dark Within The Dark" and "Gecko
      Highway" back into available status.
      --
      Regards, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
      Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2009
        Good morning,

        it is with regret, but also relief, that I pass on that Systems
        Theory member Greg Amov died last night. It was very peaceful
        and quiet at the end, which was a relief after all the physical
        struggle of the last few weeks. It was clear to everyone around
        him during the afternoon that it would be sometime Tuesday, so
        his family convened to be with him.

        I do not yet know exactly what sort of memorial there will be,
        or when / where it will be held. But something appropriate to
        Greg's live and beliefs will be organized soon. I will pass on
        that information when I have it.

        Thanks to all that contacted the family through me to express
        hope, support, sympathy, wishes for a speeding passing, etc.
        That the various branches of the progressive music community
        had so many people (hundreds) that responded during this crisis
        meant a great a deal to Greg in his final days, and means a
        great deal to me personally.

        In the midst of the sadness of his passing, let me add a bright
        note. Last night I got access to Greg's pair of DAWs (named
        "Fripp" and "Eno"). Everything that I could have hoped to find
        musically was there. The masters for his two OOP CDs were there,
        plus several unreleased completed projects, some long-forgotten
        projects, and new tunes earmarked for both solo, Systems Theory
        and ViolinCyndee. So there will new music under his hame in the
        next year or so, as well as the re-release of "The Dark Within
        The Dark" and "Gecko Hightway".

        Gregory Michael Amov, b. Nov 6th 1959, d. Nov 3rd 2009. RIP
        --
        Regards, and thanks, SDM -- a 21st Century Schizoid Man
        Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
        on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
        on CDBaby: CDBaby <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>
        NP: nowt